Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Postby Beveridge on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:07 pm

pcm wrote:I actually don't have a problem with inserting Boychuck into the 2nd line. But Jeffrey should not be scratched. Scratch Cooke or Kunitz or even Adams. This is the problem with Blysma. He doesn't have the gumption to hold established players accountable...

You just named 2 of the main PKers and Crosby's line mate.

A majority of coaches everyone is yelling to bring in instead of Bylsma would make the same move.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm

PghSkins wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:He will be in it

...and will be declared useless by the masses after the first period.

The juvenile derogatory nickname crowd has no doubt already come up with something we'll be impress with.

Avoid the Pirates thread, in that case.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Really liked what I saw, speed, hustle, hits, shots. In addition the bottom 6 were stable and performed far better as such. If Boychuck keeps it up this could be a great addition GMRS.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Luckybreak wrote:Really liked what I saw, speed, hustle, hits, shots. In addition the bottom 6 were stable and performed far better as such. If Boychuck keeps it up this could be a great addition GMRS.

It's funny how an 8-page thread bashing him suddenly gets quiet after people watch him play. Kudos to you for pointing out his good game.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:Really liked what I saw, speed, hustle, hits, shots. In addition the bottom 6 were stable and performed far better as such. If Boychuck keeps it up this could be a great addition GMRS.

It's funny how an 8-page thread bashing him suddenly gets quiet after people watch him play. Kudos to you for pointing out his good game.

It's funny how after one game Boychuk is considered a solid NHL player when he's never shown that whatsoever to those who have seen him play before.

I hope the guy lights the scoreboard up and plays great hockey like I do anyone that puts on the Penguins' jersey. That said, it takes more than one game people.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 pm

agreed
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 pm

It's funny how people think Boychuk, at age 23, can't improve his game, yet don't want to lose Tangradi because they think that, at age 24, he's bound to get better.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Its funny that its funny.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:55 pm

brwi wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

It's funny how after one game Boychuk is considered a solid NHL player when he's never shown that whatsoever to those who have seen him play before.

I hope the guy lights the scoreboard up and plays great hockey like I do anyone that puts on the Penguins' jersey. That said, it takes more than one game people.

its funny that you got that conclusion from the complements of one game
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:14 pm

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:18 pm

brwi wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Want to know how I know he had a good game? This thread came to a halt. I actually came here to see if people were complimenting his game, knowing full well they wouldn't be.

Instead of saying he had a good game, we get the "I saw him play so I know what will definitely happen" responses. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion -- but don't try to act like you want him to succeed when you've barraged him so much that I could swear he personally wronged you in the past.
Last edited by Defence21 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lifetimefan on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Beveridge wrote:
pcm wrote:I actually don't have a problem with inserting Boychuck into the 2nd line. But Jeffrey should not be scratched. Scratch Cooke or Kunitz or even Adams. This is the problem with Blysma. He doesn't have the gumption to hold established players accountable...

Really wish he had the gumption to scratch Kunitz today. NOT!
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:01 am

Tico Rick wrote:It's funny how people think Boychuk, at age 23, can't improve his game, yet don't want to lose Tangradi because they think that, at age 24, he's bound to get better.

You can't teach speed. Look at Dupuis. No hands, but his speed and hockey smarts has gained him a very solid NHL career and a job with the best center in the league. Now look at Tangradi. No speed, no hockey smarts (can't PK like Adams or Glass), not even a mean streak to earn a 4th line spot. Send that no talent scrub philly native back to bouncing at bars where he belongs. He brings nothing, and will never develop into anything except head bouncer.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:54 am

Defence21 wrote:
brwi wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Want to know how I know he had a good game? This thread came to a halt. I actually came here to see if people were complimenting his game, knowing full well they wouldn't be.

Instead of saying he had a good game, we get the "I saw him play so I know what will definitely happen" responses. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion -- but don't try to act like you want him to succeed when you've barraged him so much that I could swear he personally wronged you in the past.

The thread came to a halt because he was being talked about in the GDT. You can't blame people for being cautious about a guy plucked off the waiver wire, I think you read too much into this thread.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 am

SolidSnake wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
brwi wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

The thread came to a halt because he was being talked about in the GDT. You can't blame people for being cautious about a guy plucked off the waiver wire, I think you read too much into this thread.

End of the day it was a no-risk experiment, if Boychuck showed nothing more than ET, DJ, TK, TG (which collectively was very little) no harm is done.
IMO he outplayed all of them in his one game and deserves a couple more to build on the budding chemistry, it could work out nicely. If not then we still have time and options prior to the playoffs. Equally important is that Disco stopped screwing with the bottom 6, the 'domino effect' of having everyone playing in their correct positions. By no means is anyone planning the Cup Parade, just observing one good game - let's hope for some consistency!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:40 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:It's funny how people think Boychuk, at age 23, can't improve his game, yet don't want to lose Tangradi because they think that, at age 24, he's bound to get better.

You can't teach speed. Look at Dupuis. No hands, but his speed and hockey smarts has gained him a very solid NHL career and a job with the best center in the league. Now look at Tangradi. No speed, no hockey smarts (can't PK like Adams or Glass), not even a mean streak to earn a 4th line spot. Send that no talent scrub philly native back to bouncing at bars where he belongs. He brings nothing, and will never develop into anything except head bouncer.

I agree with everything you said except the bouncer part. Tangradi isn't aggressive enough to be a bouncer.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 am

How many pucks would a Boychuk chuck if a Boychuk could chuck pucks?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 am

Mr. T set the bar pretty high for bouncers.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby brwi on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Defence21 wrote:Instead of saying he had a good game, we get the "I saw him play so I know what will definitely happen" responses. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion -- but don't try to act like you want him to succeed when you've barraged him so much that I could swear he personally wronged you in the past.

I'd rather see any Penguin succeed than be able to come back later to a message board and yell "see, I told you so!!!!" I'm not 10 years old are totally immersed about who is right or wrong on the Internet.

Just because I stated that A) I've seen the guy play a lot and B) He's a nothing and the Pens gave up nothing to get him and C) it illustrates how lacking the Pens are at F in their system right now doesn't mean I want to see Boychuk have terrible games and cost the Pens victories. I'd be ecstatic if he found a permanent home as a top-6 forward and lit the scoreboard up.

Why is the above too difficult to comprehend?
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Bottom line for me is he was noticeable in a good way. Saw some speed, saw some passing, saw some hitting, saw hustle, saw hockey smarts at least being in a position to do something. In one game, he has surpassed Tangradi in my eyes. I like what I saw in Jeffrey before Boychuk came in. He is faster than Tangradi, but not Boychuk. He has the hockey smarts too, maybe not the hitting element. Would like to see Jeffrey get another chance, hoping he has to wait for an injury to show it.

Eric Tangradi.....I have officially given up hope. Doesn't skate well enough, doesn't seem to have the hockey sense, and doesn't play like a guy 6'5". Time to start giving the chances to someone else.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:53 pm

This thread is one of the biggest piles of garbage I've read through on this forum. I thought puck drama threads were bad.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Gaucho wrote:
André wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Another head scratcher if he plays instead of Jeffrey or Tangradi.

What? His most productive AHL season is 65 points in 60 games. Tangradi's 31 in 37. He was drafted 14th overall. He's faster. He's more skilled. He's had good showings in the NHL, Tangradi hasn't.

Cost nothing. Like it alot.

I already relativized, read the whole thread please.

Oh. Well it was long as I was late to the pary :D

But I'm not suprised, as I when I wrote that thought how this might be the first time I disagreed with you.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GreenBlood10 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Ill be honest. I never have high expectations for players claimed off waivers, but I am really liking what I am seeing from Boychuk. The last two claims have shown flashes of the offensive upside he is suppose to have and I could definitely see him sticking around and building even better chemistry with this line.
GreenBlood10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:24 pm

GreenBlood10 wrote:Ill be honest. I never have high expectations for players claimed off waivers, but I am really liking what I am seeing from Boychuk. The last two claims have shown flashes of the offensive upside he is suppose to have and I could definitely see him sticking around and building even better chemistry with this line.

I think the big thing for Boychuk is that he's being given an opportunity, which is influencing his confidence. I believe his games with Carolina were mostly trying to fit him into 3rd and 4th line roles, and that didn't work out.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bioshock on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Very impressed so far. I just want him to settle in now and help Neal and Malkin be productive.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins