Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Postby pens_srq on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm starting to think that Shero found us another diamond in the rough.

I think that HCDB's strength is motivation. In a way he's real good at getting to some players and getting them to play to their potential. Having a guy like Sid doesn't hurt either. Also, given the public profile of the Pens it's an opportunity for a guy to increase his value. All of these things lead to a lot of motivation for these first rounders that haven't played well with the team they have been on.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:42 pm

tfrizz wrote:
GreenBlood10 wrote:Ill be honest. I never have high expectations for players claimed off waivers, but I am really liking what I am seeing from Boychuk. The last two claims have shown flashes of the offensive upside he is suppose to have and I could definitely see him sticking around and building even better chemistry with this line.

I think the big thing for Boychuk is that he's being given an opportunity, which is influencing his confidence. I believe his games with Carolina were mostly trying to fit him into 3rd and 4th line roles, and that didn't work out.

Boychuk played on Eric Staal's line the first game of the season, and was a healthy scratch since. DB is giving him the opportunity, and he's making the most of it, unlike Tangradi. Tangradi played 11:24 min in the first game of the season, and 9:32 in second game. Boychuk's TOI has been similar: 12:00 in his first game, and 12:58 today. Boychuk rose to the occasion; Tangradi didn't. Let's hope Boychuk can keep it up, but so far he looks like he's fitting in on that line very well.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jfu21 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Boychuk is creating scoring chances. Tangradi hasn't, and Jeffery doesn't have the speed to play on the wing. I like what I see from him and hope he can keep it up.
Jfu21
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 pm

I just hope Boychuk can start capitalizing on some of these chances he's been getting or else he'll be banished from the Malkin line.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:55 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:It's funny how people think Boychuk, at age 23, can't improve his game, yet don't want to lose Tangradi because they think that, at age 24, he's bound to get better.

You can't teach speed. Look at Dupuis. No hands, but his speed and hockey smarts has gained him a very solid NHL career and a job with the best center in the league. Now look at Tangradi. No speed, no hockey smarts (can't PK like Adams or Glass), not even a mean streak to earn a 4th line spot. Send that no talent scrub philly native back to bouncing at bars where he belongs. He brings nothing, and will never develop into anything except head bouncer.

I like this because you just don't give a ****
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Well, Tangradi did that he would have studied engineering at Penn State.
Perhaps a career in civil engineering is possible.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 am

I'm not sure how well Tangradi could run the door, he's got the size but like mentioned here, not the mindset for it. He could be a great dance floor bouncer or something, just keeping an eye on that area, maybe even a backdoor guy to make sure people don't come in through the back/side doors. He could be the cooler, but I don't think he's going to be as respected without some martial art moves.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 am

so Tangradi is a backdoor guy?
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:43 am

Boychuk looks solid right now for being thrown into the deep end in his first 2 games. Looks like a Steve Sullivan type on that line. By far our best option for Malkins wing. But persoanllyI still havn't "inked" his name into that spot.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 am

Defence21 wrote:
brwi wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:Really liked what I saw, speed, hustle, hits, shots. In addition the bottom 6 were stable and performed far better as such. If Boychuck keeps it up this could be a great addition GMRS.

It's funny how an 8-page thread bashing him suddenly gets quiet after people watch him play. Kudos to you for pointing out his good game.

It's funny how after one game Boychuk is considered a solid NHL player when he's never shown that whatsoever to those who have seen him play before.

I hope the guy lights the scoreboard up and plays great hockey like I do anyone that puts on the Penguins' jersey. That said, it takes more than one game people.

Want to know how I know he had a good game? This thread came to a halt. I actually came here to see if people were complimenting his game, knowing full well they wouldn't be.

Instead of saying he had a good game, we get the "I saw him play so I know what will definitely happen" responses. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion -- but don't try to act like you want him to succeed when you've barraged him so much that I could swear he personally wronged you in the past.

I really wasn't that knowledgable about Boychuk (like I wasn't about Neal either), so I try not to bash a new guy before he even shows up or after just one or even a few games. In my mind he hasn't done anything either terrible or great (after two games as a Pen) so I'll reserve my judgement for a while so he can get adjusted to his new team and surroundings. Although at this point in my assessment I don't think he's chopped liver. Hell, for all we know we might be referring to him as MAN-chuk eventually. :)

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:58 am

thepittman wrote:so Tangradi is a backdoor guy?

:face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Azkar on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 am

thepittman wrote:so Tangradi is a backdoor guy?

Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 am

Haha, that's what I first thought of too!
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 am

Speed, grit, physical, and on a few occasions has put himself in awesome position to score a goal. Just needs that first one I believe and he's in for sure. Malkin's line looks better and the kid hasn't even scored a goal yet. Malkin will teach him the way... "I'm score."
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby helmespc on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

Not ready to choose a side, but I will say that Boychuck was more noticeable the last two games on the 2nd line than Tangradi had been. Not sure if he's and improvement over Jeffrey, but he is fast and seemed to make things happen, at least on Saturday.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slipshod on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Remember how Neal came in and lit it up right away with Malkin? We all knew 2 games in he was a great fit.

Oh wait...

If the kids getting chances and making things happen then you keep him in and give him some time to get settled in. Like Neal, he is probably gripping the stick too tight from the pressure of trying to impress his new team.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm

He seems to have good speed and lateral quickness. Even if he doesn't stick in the top 6, he should be a useful player with his skating.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 pm

The way he's playing, i like him a lot. If the lines cool off and a shuffle needs to happen, i'd be interested in switching him and Kunitz at some point too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:The way he's playing, i like him a lot. If the lines cool off and a shuffle needs to happen, i'd be interested in switching him and Kunitz at some point too.

Kunitz desn't have the spped and lateral movement Boychuk has and besides, Kunitz's size isn't needed as much with Neal.

We'd be better off upgradeding the RW with some skill, Bennett would look really good with Crosby and Kunitz.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Yeah, I know he doesn't have the mobility, thats why I'd be interested in seeing Boychuk with Crosby. Then all of the people clamoring for Kunitz to go back with Malkin and Neal could shut up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, I know he doesn't have the mobility, thats why I'd be interested in seeing Boychuk with Crosby. Then all of the people clamoring for Kunitz to go back with Malkin and Neal could shut up.

If Boychuk at some point begins to show the hands/finishing touch that he's displayed elsewhere, then I'd agree 100%. Kunitz is on an ungodly hot streak right now, so I'd give them both a few more games where they're at just to see what they do.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck Drama on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:26 pm

so when does Shero get rid of Boychuck?
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Right after Nealkarovsky finally gets benched.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm

I remember when I first saw this thread, I thought for a second that it said "Pens claim Babchuk from CAL"

I always thought he'd be a good fit here.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Exhibit #3921 of Shiny New Toy Syndrome.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins