Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:14 pm

pens_CT wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:At least he's Canadian...that's a big step for Shero.

Better than the American Trash Tangradi. :pop:

I just think Shero focuses way too much on US, and US program players. It's just my own personal opinion and think it's one of his downfalls. He needs to open up to Europe and Canada even more.

Not sure the data supports your claim. He hasn't drafted an American in the last two drafts and has drafted more euros in the last 3 drafts than Americans.

Between him and Craig Patrick, there has just been a bit more focus on American players whether being drafted, traded for, signed etc.

I'm not saying they're all bad decisions, but I just think we should be looking to Europe and Canada a bit more. A quick look at our blueline over the last while shows the American influence. (Shero and Patrick combined)
Gill, Whitney, Martin, Scuderi, Eaton, Orpik, Lovejoy, Niskanen, Strait, Goligoski, Leopold for example.

As for the drafts, you're right about the last two years for sure, but it just seemed before that he was going after quite a few Americans (Rust, Sneep, Strait, Samuelsson, Hanowski, Velischek, Rogalski, Agostino) I was actually mistaken and thought there were quite a few more....my bad.

I'd still like to see him focus a bit more in Europe like the Red Wings do, or even a bit more in Canada.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Meh, no harm in it, I guess.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Gaucho wrote:Meh, no harm in it, I guess.

Nope. If it doesn't work out, put him back on waivers; if he clears, you got a nice player for WBS... if not, oh well - he was "free".
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

So by Byslma logic, we will see Boychuk on defense tonight
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I just think Shero focuses way too much on US, and US program players. It's just my own personal opinion and think it's one of his downfalls. He needs to open up to Europe and Canada even more.

Really? Tangradi, Orpik, Niskanen, Lovejoy, and Vitale are the only Americans on the roster. The roster is almost 2/3 Canadian.

4 defenseman (Orpik, Martin, Niskanen, Lovejoy) are American, as are 3 forwards (Tangradi, Vitale, Sutter). Sutter was born in NY while father Brent was playing for the Islanders.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:23 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Meh, no harm in it, I guess.

Nope. If it doesn't work out, put him back on waivers; if he clears, you got a nice player for WBS... if not, oh well - he was "free".

And even if this leads to Tangradi or Jeffrey lost on waivers I'm OK with the hypothetical Tangradi for Boychuck deal. probably shuffling the deck chairs but this should help the bottom 6 cycle or at the very least get some speed in the top 6.

Maybe he's the new Andy Hilbert, waiver claim, plays top 6 and does it well(ish).
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:25 pm

tfrizz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Really? Tangradi, Orpik, Niskanen, Lovejoy, and Vitale are the only Americans on the roster. The roster is almost 2/3 Canadian.

4 defenseman (Orpik, Martin, Niskanen, Lovejoy) are American, as are 3 forwards (Tangradi, Vitale, Sutter). Sutter was born in NY while father Brent was playing for the Islanders.

I still don't get what the complaint is here. Also, Sutter played for Canada in international competition. Therefore, I am labeling him as a Canadian player.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Tangradi would have to prove to be extra useful in at least one crucial area to make up for his lack of speed, but unfortunately he excels at pretty much nothing. So yeah, I guess I'd rather have a guy on the 4th line that, if nothing else, is at least fast.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Better than the American Trash Tangradi. :pop:

I still don't get what the complaint is here. Also, Sutter played for Canada in international competition. Therefore, I am labeling him as a Canadian player.

It wasn't a big complaint, I was just saying that sometimes I think Shero has too much focus on US players and US draft picks. I was wrong about the draft picks as I honestly believed there were more than he actually selected. I'd just like to see him open up to Europe and Canada more.....which he's actually done the previous two drafts.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Caputi19 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:31 pm

Canes games i saw boychuk played with sutter and larose before he went to staals line. Sure well see boychuk 2nd.or 3rd line
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Hello Stanley Cup! This is quite the bold and daring move that few teams have the stomach to even think about doing, but RS pulled the trigger on it and MADE IT HAPPEN! Woooooooooo!
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm

TIL Niskanen is American
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm

DelPen wrote:Boychuck is a much better 4th liner than Tangardi and Jeffrey. Think of him as an alternative to Adams on the nights we need more speed.

Or he becomes a regular with Vitale and Adams, Glass becomes a fixture on the 3rd line and DB wises up and at least tries Kennedy with Sid and Dupuis and moves Kuntiz back with Malkin.

Is he big enough to play 4th line? Just a little worried about the size, i.e. does he hit like a bigger guy?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm

brwi wrote:Hello Stanley Cup! This is quite the bold and daring move that few teams have the stomach to even think about doing, but RS pulled the trigger on it and MADE IT HAPPEN! Woooooooooo!

And this move hurts us how? Low risk, possible reward.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Boychuk has potential I guess, hey worth a shot. The few things I have read about him suggest he wasn't given too much of a chance to stick with the 'canes. Put Kunitz back with Malkin/Neal, play Boychuck with Crosby for a while and see if he clicks. Try Boychuk-Crosby-Bennett when Beau gets healthy.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mariojr on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Admin wrote:Wikipedia says 5'9", 176 lbs so he's probably 5'8", amirite?

He maybe 5'8" pfft.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:43 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
brwi wrote:Hello Stanley Cup! This is quite the bold and daring move that few teams have the stomach to even think about doing, but RS pulled the trigger on it and MADE IT HAPPEN! Woooooooooo!

Geez..sarcasm, OK?

I'm sure he'll be a nice addition to WBS.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:43 pm

jeff taffe changed his name?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:44 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Boychuk has potential I guess, hey worth a shot. The few things I have read about him suggest he wasn't given too much of a chance to stick with the 'canes. Put Kunitz back with Malkin/Neal, play Boychuck with Crosby for a while and see if he clicks. Try Boychuk-Crosby-Bennett when Beau gets healthy.

he sucked out loud at their camps. he didnt take advantage of the opportunities given to him.

joke: this is shero's "thanks for all of those goals sutter is scoring for us. well take your castoffs as well"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:44 pm

brwi wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Geez..sarcasm, OK?

i doubt he would make it through waivers.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:45 pm

I like the move. By no means a long-term answer to the winger question, but more of a viable solution in my opinion than Kennedy, Tangradi, or Jeffrey. From what I've seen of Canes games (not nearly as much as I should considering my parents have season tix), boychuk is basically a hybrid of Tangradi Kennedy and Jeffrey. He's a better skater than Tangradi, is a more talented scorer than Jeffrey and is more physical than Kennedy. Doesn't excel at one part of skills, but well-balanced player. Definitely worth a few game look on either Sid or Genos line.

Also, why not, eh?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 pm

I like Boychuk. This is a decent organizational depth grab, with the low percentage chance that he just "gets it" here and lights the world on fire, unlikely as it may be.

You can't teach speed, he's got it. He never got the chance to really get into the nitty gritty of his NHL career. He has a work ethic that categorizes him as one of those guys that "plays the game the right way."

Lots of sarcastic mock posts here about the pickup, I personally like it. Doesn't hurt, might help.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 pm

canaan wrote:
brwi wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Geez..sarcasm, OK?

i doubt he would make it through waivers.

Rutherford already stated that they'd claim him if he was put on waivers again.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

DelPen wrote:Boychuck is a much better 4th liner than Tangardi and Jeffrey. Think of him as an alternative to Adams on the nights we need more speed.

Or he becomes a regular with Vitale and Adams, Glass becomes a fixture on the 3rd line and DB wises up and at least tries Kennedy with Sid and Dupuis and moves Kuntiz back with Malkin.

I've seen Boychuk play with Carolina and he's a lot of nothing. A big bust of a 1st round draft pick so far, but maybe he'll find his game in the WBS.

Playing with Malkin? I guess DB is looking to get fired.
Last edited by brwi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Jesse wrote:I like Boychuk. This is a decent organizational depth grab, with the low percentage chance that he just "gets it" here and lights the world on fire, unlikely as it may be.

You can't teach speed, he's got it. He never got the chance to really get into the nitty gritty of his NHL career. He has a work ethic that categorizes him as one of those guys that "plays the game the right way."

Lots of sarcastic mock posts here about the pickup, I personally like it. Doesn't hurt, might help.

My exact thoughts. He could be Andy Hilbert 2.0, or Rico Fata. Either way, no harm, no loss.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins