Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens claim Boychuk from CAR

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip

Rutherford said if Pens at some point this year decide to put Boychuk back on waivers, Canes would claim him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:49 pm

brwi wrote:
DelPen wrote:Boychuck is a much better 4th liner than Tangardi and Jeffrey. Think of him as an alternative to Adams on the nights we need more speed.

Or he becomes a regular with Vitale and Adams, Glass becomes a fixture on the 3rd line and DB wises up and at least tries Kennedy with Sid and Dupuis and moves Kuntiz back with Malkin.

I've seen Boychuk play with Carolina and he's a lot of nothing. A big bust of a 1st round draft pick so far, but maybe he'll find his game in the WBS.

Playing with Malkin? I guess DB is looking to get fired.

yeah for Charlotte.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:49 pm

brwi wrote:
DelPen wrote:Boychuck is a much better 4th liner than Tangardi and Jeffrey. Think of him as an alternative to Adams on the nights we need more speed.

Or he becomes a regular with Vitale and Adams, Glass becomes a fixture on the 3rd line and DB wises up and at least tries Kennedy with Sid and Dupuis and moves Kuntiz back with Malkin.

but maybe he'll find his game in the WBS.

Are you suggesting he...*ahem* gets to his game?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:49 pm

He's a 23 year old former first rounder. No-brainer to grab him off waivers.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 pm

npv708 wrote:I like the move. By no means a long-term answer to the winger question, but more of a viable solution in my opinion than Kennedy, Tangradi, or Jeffrey. From what I've seen of Canes games (not nearly as much as I should considering my parents have season tix), boychuk is basically a hybrid of Tangradi Kennedy and Jeffrey. He's a better skater than Tangradi, is a more talented scorer than Jeffrey and is more physical than Kennedy. Doesn't excel at one part of skills, but well-balanced player. Definitely worth a few game look on either Sid or Genos line.

Also, why not, eh?

He's not a better scorer than Jeffrey by any measure and he's NOT at all more physical than Kennedy. Better skater than Tangradi? That's 90% of the NHL and AHL right there, wooo! Have you ever seen the guy play in the NHL? I have. Yeah, he can skate. That's about it. He never could break into a Carolina roster that desperately needed any forwards with skill and he's a zilch. It's a no-risk move and all, but this guy has never shown anything at all and is already considered to be a really big 1st round bust of a pick.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:57 pm

2 week tryout. Doesn't cost us anything. How could anybody complain?
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:58 pm

champeen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Ah I get it, they passed up on Sterling last year so they could get another undersized forward this year?

He's listed at 5'10"/185 . How undersized is that?

fify

Steve Sullivan was only 5'8 170lbs, and Shero said Boychuk could see time on Malkins line. Might be a good pick up for that spot in the line up. If you can teach him to play smart and be defensively aware he might be servicable.

Granted no one else took advantge of the oportunity on that line. Of course Byslma is expecting instant magic and hasn't given anyone a longer look than 2 games.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Jesse wrote:I like Boychuk. This is a decent organizational depth grab, with the low percentage chance that he just "gets it" here and lights the world on fire, unlikely as it may be.

You can't teach speed, he's got it. He never got the chance to really get into the nitty gritty of his NHL career. He has a work ethic that categorizes him as one of those guys that "plays the game the right way."

Lots of sarcastic mock posts here about the pickup, I personally like it. Doesn't hurt, might help.

My exact thoughts. He could be Andy Hilbert 2.0, or Rico Fata. Either way, no harm, no loss.

It's never a good thing when you are trying to find the next Andy Hilbert.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Who is complaining? It costs the Pens nothing to pick up a nothing. Just don't try and whizz on my leg and tell me it's raining when I have seen the guy play parts of a few seasons now and know he sucks. Putting him on Malkin's line suddenly would mean the Pens have really hit rock-bottom with developing anyone the last few years, which obviously they have indeed.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the riddler on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm

brwi wrote:Who is complaining? It costs the Pens nothing to pick up a nothing. Just don't try and whizz on my leg and tell me it's raining when I have seen the guy play parts of a few seasons now and know he sucks. Putting him on Malkin's line suddenly would mean the Pens have really hit rock-bottom with developing anyone the last few years, which obviously they have indeed.

:thumb:
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 pm

brwi wrote:Who is complaining? It costs the Pens nothing to pick up a nothing. Just don't try and whizz on my leg and tell me it's raining when I have seen the guy play parts of a few seasons now and know he sucks. Putting him on Malkin's line suddenly would mean the Pens have really hit rock-bottom with developing anyone the last few years, which obviously they have indeed.

Agreed. Who is the last winger we developed? Kennedy.

Before that? *sigh*
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:24 pm

Is there anyone in WBS healthy or in game shape right now better than Boychuk?

Boychuk's stats for Charlotte:
GP G A PTS +/-
37 16 16 32 7

Closest guy is Kolarek who WBS just got from the Whale and maybe Holzapfel.

in 72 NHL games Boychuk has 7 G and 11 A, not bad for depth. Essentially the same stats guy like Vitale and Adams put up.

Boychuk should fit the way this team should be playing someplace in the lineup. Try him in top 6, can't be worse than what we have seen so far. And he will certainly be better in the bottom 6 than Jeffrey and Tangradi have looked.

Canes took a gamble, they didn't want to have him play 4th line minutes but also didn't want 3 rookies in their top 9 and Dalpe and Bowman were playing better, so they sent Boychuk down. Looks like all three would ahve had to go through waivers just like we had to pick Strait to go. Rutherford is not happy. There could be some justification in trying him with Malkin.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

for Boychuk to be successful he needs to play top 6 minutes. Bylsma thinking that Boychuk is gonna bring grit to the lineup is hilarious.

all in all, there is no risk to the move. that being said, if Boychuk is a penguin in March, i'd be surprised.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby VENOM on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Not a bad move! Shero must be reading "The Book of Huntington"
VENOM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:42 pm

Jesse wrote:I like Boychuk. This is a decent organizational depth grab, with the low percentage chance that he just "gets it" here and lights the world on fire, unlikely as it may be.

You can't teach speed, he's got it. He never got the chance to really get into the nitty gritty of his NHL career. He has a work ethic that categorizes him as one of those guys that "plays the game the right way."

Lots of sarcastic mock posts here about the pickup, I personally like it. Doesn't hurt, might help.

As the Islanders have shown, you can't write off waiver pick-ups too quickly... especially young guys.

I'm definitely with you on liking the pick-up. No risk involved - if he doesn't work out, waive him and let Rutherford bring him back to Carolina.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mariojr on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 pm

VENOM wrote:Not a bad move! Shero must be reading "The Book of Huntington"

I was thinking that if it were the Pirates, I'd be calling it a "Hoka Hey" move.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby profpolisci on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 pm

profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 pm

columbia wrote:
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip

Rutherford said if Pens at some point this year decide to put Boychuk back on waivers, Canes would claim him.

Maybe we can trade Sutter and Woodchuk for one of the Staals?
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm

columbia wrote:I mean this sincerely: he cannot be worse than Tabgradi.

how do you know? I watch Tangradi get one or two shifts with a top line and then immediately get relegated to a 4th line role. He's projected as a scoring power forward so why give him the majority of his minutes on a line where he doesn't have a chance to score? It makes zero sense to talk about a Forward like he might be a goal scoring power forward in one breath and then give him two shifts to prove himself.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 pm

headh wrote:

how do you know? I watch Tangradi get one or two shifts with a top line and then immediately get relegated to a 4th line role. He's projected as a scoring power forward so why give him the majority of his minutes on a line where he doesn't have a chance to score? It makes zero sense to talk about a Forward like he might be a goal scoring power forward in one breath and then give him two shifts to prove himself.

Tangradi isn't a goal scoring forward. He has no offensive instincts.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 pm

4 pages about a waiver wire pickup of a marginal NHL player at best.

Pens must be doing bad?
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:22 pm

headh wrote:

Tangradi physically can't play more than two consecutive shifts with Malkin. His stamina is horrible.

This team did enough to put him in a positon to succeed and claim a spot but he dropped the ball because he can't or won't play well enough to keep that spot.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

VENOM wrote:Not a bad move! Shero must be reading "The Book of Huntington"

lol?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm