Do the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS have a goaltending controversey?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Do the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS have a goaltending controvers

Postby mariojr on Sat May 11, 2013 10:31 pm

The Pens do not have a goaltending controversy. The Pens have a goaltender. His name is Tomas Vokoun. Next question.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Fleury will start Game 1.

Book it.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Rylan wrote:Start MAF game 1. If he even has a bad game, you go back to Vokoun. If Fleury starts stringing games together you loosen the grip, if he doesn't Vokoun is in net.

That's correct because if you go with TV and he crumbles, you then have to turn to an even more "damaged" Fleury. Give him a chance to get gis game back.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Not a chance I go back to Fleury at this point. Vokoun is this teams #1 goalie right now. I don't even see how anyone could want to go back to Fleury at this point. I know Vokoun will have a crap game at some point, but right now I think out of the 2 goalies on this team he easily gives this team the best chance to win.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sat May 11, 2013 11:02 pm

***** that loser fleury. Ride Vokoun to the cup. We are playing a better team and can't afford to spot them 1-2 games trying an experiment that has failed 4 times in a row.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LAChrisPaul on Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 pm

I'd put money on Flower starting.
LAChrisPaul

Postby murphydump55 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 pm

skullman80 wrote:Not a chance I go back to Fleury at this point. Vokoun is this teams #1 goalie right now. I don't even see how anyone could want to go back to Fleury at this point. I know Vokoun will have a crap game at some point, but right now I think out of the 2 goalies on this team he easily gives this team the best chance to win.

Exactly.

So let me get this straight. You tell Vokoun he's going to sit, after coming in and saving this team, and piss him off.

You go back to Fleury and he stinks the joint out again, and now you have to go back to Vokoun saying, "Tomas we need you again!"

Fleury EARNED his demotion for the last 3 post seasons, and this one solidified it. There is ZERO need to go back to him right now. When Vokoun falters, then Fleury gets his shot again. You bench Vokoun and run the risk of pissing him off after he came in and saved this team.

What makes anyone think that Fleury will find himself? He hasn't in 3.5 postseasons. Vokoun earned his time and you ride him. This will not affect Fleury in any way. He knows why he's sitting, he's got a front row seat! Sitting Vokoun WILL affect him, and if Fleury stinks again, now you have an upset Vokoun. The guy isn't a yo-yo, don't treat him like one.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Sat May 11, 2013 11:12 pm

knives of ice wrote:no controversy....but what do you think

Will Vokoun get a playoff start for the Pittsburgh Penguins

YES
NO

i'd bet a decent amount of cash on yes.

not surprised to collect my cash on this.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BfromD on Sat May 11, 2013 11:12 pm

Fleury .891
Vokoun .957

You have to stick with vokoun to open the next series.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby burghsportsguys on Sat May 11, 2013 11:36 pm

I'd rather see the Steelers sign Kordell to start than see Fleury start game one of the next series.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sat May 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Koondog.

0 questions.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:41 pm

I love fleury but you go with the hot goalie in Vokoun the team seems more composed with him in net right now.

I still think fleury will be seen in these playoffs again before they are over and hopefully he respond to being benched
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Eismann on Sat May 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sat May 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Vokoun is not young. He's older, slower, heavier. He's got a few games in him, but for goodness sakes he uses his stick as a cane to help him get up from his knees. Fleury is mentally stronger than some of us based on what I read in this GDT nightly. He'll be fine, this will be a better matchup for the team, and we'll see that penguins hockey that we want to see. You save Vokoun for the games you need him - if you need him.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sun May 12, 2013 12:08 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:Vokoun is not young. He's older, slower, heavier. He's got a few games in him, but for goodness sakes he uses his stick as a cane to help him get up from his knees. Fleury is mentally stronger than some of us based on what I read in this GDT nightly. He'll be fine, this will be a better matchup for the team, and we'll see that penguins hockey that we want to see. You save Vokoun for the games you need him - if you need him.

Fleury can use his quickness to greet me at Walmart. The fact that a 64 year old goaltender with a cane, as you astutely observed, won us this series is all the proof you need.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Sun May 12, 2013 12:21 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:Vokoun is not young. He's older, slower, heavier. He's got a few games in him, but for goodness sakes he uses his stick as a cane to help him get up from his knees. Fleury is mentally stronger than some of us based on what I read in this GDT nightly. He'll be fine, this will be a better matchup for the team, and we'll see that penguins hockey that we want to see. You save Vokoun for the games you need him - if you need him.

Fleury can use his quickness to greet me at Walmart. The fact that a 64 year old goaltender with a cane, as you astutely observed, won us this series is all the proof you need.

lol
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Sun May 12, 2013 1:10 am

I dont even like the logic of riding Vokoun until he has one bad game, and then replacing him. How many bad games has Fleury had these past few years? I think Vokoun deserves a serious shot at taking them as deep as possible.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun May 12, 2013 1:15 am

There's no **** controversy. Vokoun is a rock that will win this team a Stanley Cup. Fleury is someone that goes to Brony conventions. **** Fleury and his existence as a Penguin, it's so **** over.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Sun May 12, 2013 1:30 am

GTMG is Vokoun.

Fine by me.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun May 12, 2013 1:46 am

murphydump55 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Not a chance I go back to Fleury at this point. Vokoun is this teams #1 goalie right now. I don't even see how anyone could want to go back to Fleury at this point. I know Vokoun will have a crap game at some point, but right now I think out of the 2 goalies on this team he easily gives this team the best chance to win.

Exactly.

So let me get this straight. You tell Vokoun he's going to sit, after coming in and saving this team, and piss him off.

You go back to Fleury and he stinks the joint out again, and now you have to go back to Vokoun saying, "Tomas we need you again!"

Fleury EARNED his demotion for the last 3 post seasons, and this one solidified it. There is ZERO need to go back to him right now. When Vokoun falters, then Fleury gets his shot again. You bench Vokoun and run the risk of pissing him off after he came in and saved this team.

What makes anyone think that Fleury will find himself? He hasn't in 3.5 postseasons. Vokoun earned his time and you ride him. This will not affect Fleury in any way. He knows why he's sitting, he's got a front row seat! Sitting Vokoun WILL affect him, and if Fleury stinks again, now you have an upset Vokoun. The guy isn't a yo-yo, don't treat him like one.

I agree we start Vokoun in game 1, but you aren't pissing of the backup goalie by telling him he's a backup. Especially someone who's been around as much as Vokoun. I'd be shocked if they didn't start him, but if they do start MAF, Vokoun will be ready if he's needed again without a complaint. That's why he's here and he knows that.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby knives of ice on Sun May 12, 2013 1:53 am

LAChrisPaul wrote:I'd put money on Flower starting.

i'll book it if you want to bet.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun May 12, 2013 1:55 am

I REALLY hope DB comes to game 1 vs Ottawa with a new trick or two. Talent got us by the Islanders. Ottawa isn't as stacked as we are, but they have more talent than the Isles. If we go in doing the same thing, it will be much much harder to get out of round 2. Can't be playing 2/3 of the game in our zone again.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Sun May 12, 2013 3:29 am

No controversey. Vokoun is no.1 for now!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby André on Sun May 12, 2013 5:04 am

No. Vokoun is better.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Headshot77 on Sun May 12, 2013 6:31 am

Jesus people, so is Fleury the new whipping-boy? I'm sure Fleury will get his act together, there is a lot of playoff hockey to be played and you know he will get some chances. You people clamoring for Vokun to become our new #1 are ridiculous.

That being said, I am one for "riding the hot hand". If Vokun plays a bad game (which could be a win or a loss), Fleury goes in. Simple as that. Vokun isn't going to get insulted because he won't get every single start, he is more mature than that.

The mania on this board is disgusting at times.
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins