Game 7 vs NY Rangers - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 7 vs NY Rangers - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby Penspal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 am

Pens win 3-0

- Vokoun made it look easy. If he's not careful, we (the fans) could spark a goalie controversy
- Despres has "flipped the switch" and looks promising once again.
- PP looked okay (better than dismal), but still had setting up problems (c'mon, stevie sullivan is missed for at least this much, just admit it)
- Did anyone else notice all the little smirks, smiles that oppents shared for each other last night, wtf was that?
- Jeffrey played the best of anyone in his spot on Malkin's line (so far)
- I'm worried about Sid, he simply does not look like himself out there. Please someone, convince me its a slump
- I've got a slumpbuster for him though ;)

Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 7 vs NY Rangers - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:08 am

- Despres is going to fill in for Nisky just fine.
- Start Vokoun at home next game.
- Crosby is a notorious slow starter from the start of a season.
- While still not worth his contract, Paul Martin is invisible.. and that is a good thing.
- Malkin toned down the turnover machine.
- PP looked workable.
- Neal is certainly looking like the Real Deal.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:09 am

I still wouldn't worry too much about Sid... you've got to get him time to get in game shape. He went 7 months between games after hardly playing for 14 months, so while he may be "in shape" I doubt he's "in game shape" just yet.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:09 am

Ageed 100%, he deserves another game on his line. One thing i seen was he always got the puck to Geno as fast as he could. SMart player, admazes me how Kennedy and Tangradi couldn't grab that concept.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:10 am

Lol pens fans need to stop complaining about Martin's contract. He will never live up to your lofty expectations. He is worth 5M as long as he continues his level of play this season.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:12 am

I hope they start Fleury on Saturday and Vokeun on Sunday......I want to see him shut out his former team. Plus I will be there!
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 am

It was the Rangers, not the Kings.

Having said that, in a shortened, compressed season, having two premiere goalies is going to payoff as the season grinds on.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby sil on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:27 am

no name wrote:

Ageed 100%, he deserves another game on his line. One thing i seen was he always got the puck to Geno as fast as he could. SMart player, admazes me how Kennedy and Tangradi couldn't grab that concept.

To me, it seemed like Tangradi was doing that, but he had like a 3-second time delay before that information went from his brain to his hands. :?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:28 am

I know it's the easy one to go to, but...Despres...DAMN! The goal and perfect assist make him easy for praise last night, but he made some stellar moves in the defensive zone early on to ride guys off the puck and get it out of danger. Very good game for him.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:It was the Rangers, not the Kings.

Having said that, in a shortened, compressed season, having two premiere goalies is going to payoff as the season grinds on.

Still not sure why people were picking the Rangers as a cup favorite.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Beveridge on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:38 am

-Despres had good moments and then not so good moments: took me back to letang's first couple years, people are just going to have to take the bad with the good in a young, developing defenseman. If he isn't traded for a top 6 forward, he should be left in the top 6 this entire season even when Nisky is back.

-I agree with Jeffrey and how he looked with Neal and Geno. However, people need to prepare themselves for Boychuk being on that line this weekend (unless Dan really surprises me). They didn't claim him not to play him and Jeffrey is probably the odd man out of the 12 starting forwards while Boychuk gets a chance. I'd rather see maybe Adams sit a few games, but again unless Dan really surprises me, be ready.

-I really hope Flower picks up on different things from Vokoun over this season and next. They play different styles, I know, but Vokoun seems like he is more relaxed and in position all the time. With Flower, it seems like he has to make spaz like movements at times to make saves. Maybe the best 7th round pick pens ever made with Vokoun :)
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joe icepick on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 am

Cooke looks like he lost his third gear. Kinda feel bad for the guy.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:14 am

PP is still a concern for me, last night showed why i think crosby should be the point not malkin. malkin is more dangerous from the halfway then crosby. Sid does not have the laser of a one time that geno does. How many goals do we from geno like his first one last night opposed to sid (yes i know it wasn't a pp goal, but its the spot i am talking about). Second point the neal goal, crosby shot it for neals stick, you don't have to have a bomb of a shot, you need to get the puck on net
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby helmespc on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:14 am

- Bortuzzo needs to play more.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 am

-Despres had good moments and then not so good moments: took me back to letang's first couple years, people are just going to have to take the bad with the good in a young, developing defenseman. If he isn't traded for a top 6 forward, he should be left in the top 6 this entire season even when Nisky is back.

agreed, but you got to let Despres play alot more games to prove the the rest of the nHL that he is worth trading a top 6 guy for him. Our defence is so thin, i don't think you can trade him, unless you get a defenceman for him. Bortozzo doesn't look polished enough to assume even a 7th dman roll.

-I agree with Jeffrey and how he looked with Neal and Geno. However, people need to prepare themselves for Boychuk being on that line this weekend (unless Dan really surprises me). They didn't claim him not to play him and Jeffrey is probably the odd man out of the 12 starting forwards while Boychuk gets a chance. I'd rather see maybe Adams sit a few games, but again unless Dan really surprises me, be ready.

Jefferys impressed me enough that he deserves another game on that line. Until he proves he can't play in that position then give Zach his chance.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 am

Kunitz needs to sit. Bylsma will never do it, but he needs to.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 am

helmespc wrote:- Bortuzzo needs to play more.

I missed all the meaningful parts of the game. Can someone tell me more?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 am

MarioLives wrote:I hope they start Fleury on Saturday and Vokeun on Sunday......I want to see him shut out his former team. Plus I will be there!

probably what will happen plus i will be there as well! :fist:
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:42 am

I keep saying this, but for the love of all that is holy, please sit KUNITZ!

For Sid, he needs to basically stop passing. He is terrible at it and he is passing up shots. Just until he gets his head on straight.

And Depres>Lovejoy in any universe.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 am

- Oh the life of a rookie defenseman. Good play, bad play, bad play, terrible play, good play, penalty, GOALLLLL, bad play.
- Orpik and Martin are playing good. Shhhh, don't jinx it.
- Crosby is getting up to speed. Having missed so much time, he has more rust than everyone else.
- Centers played well defensively. Mopped up when needed and mirrored the puck well
- Vokoun is exactly what this team needs - steady and consistent back-up goaltending. His calming demeanor is a nice change of pace. Not a goalie controversy, but healthy competition. There is a difference.
- Still not thrilled with how high the wingers are during the breakout. It puts more pressure on the defensemen and the centers to make a more difficult play.

I said this is the GDT, but I want to say it here. Why do coaches put skills guys in the box to serve a bench minor? I know, I know, they don't kill penalties and he might get a breakaway out of the box. What is more common, getting that hail mary pass out of the box for a breakaway or the powerplay team taking a penaly? Seems to me that I would want my non-killer skill guy on the ice for a 4-on-4 situation.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 am

darkstar57 wrote:PP is still a concern for me, last night showed why i think crosby should be the point not malkin. malkin is more dangerous from the halfway then crosby. Sid does not have the laser of a one time that geno does. How many goals do we from geno like his first one last night opposed to sid (yes i know it wasn't a pp goal, but its the spot i am talking about). Second point the neal goal, crosby shot it for neals stick, you don't have to have a bomb of a shot, you need to get the puck on net

The problem here is that I don't believe Crosby's a dangerous enough shooter to be effective from the point. PKers will simply cheat pass and force Crosby to take a weak-ish slap shot on net.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I keep saying this, but for the love of all that is holy, please sit KUNITZ!

For Sid, he needs to basically stop passing. He is terrible at it and he is passing up shots. Just until he gets his head on straight.

And Depres>Lovejoy in any universe.

I wonder how much the terribad play of Kunitz has affected Crosby's game. He no longer has that security blanket on his LW because Kunitz is struggling to even keep up. Dupuis hasn't been playing well, but he's not the kind of puck carrier Kunitz can be.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 am

sil wrote:I know it's the easy one to go to, but...Despres...DAMN! The goal and perfect assist make him easy for praise last night, but he made some stellar moves in the defensive zone early on to ride guys off the puck and get it out of danger. Very good game for him.

Didn't see the game, only highlights.... And they made him look brutal. Good to hear overall he was solid.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 am

meow wrote:- Crosby is getting up to speed. Having missed so much time, he has more rust than everyone else.

Agreed. You can see the rust coming off with each game, and hopefully it won't be much longer until he's back in game shape.

meow wrote:- Vokoun is exactly what this team needs - steady and consistent back-up goaltending. His calming demeanor is a nice change of pace. Not a goalie controversy, but healthy competition. There is a difference.

:thumb:

And, as I've said since Vokoun signed with the Pens, I might be more excited at the potential mentorship he can provide Fleury than I am about having one of the best backups in the NHL.
Last edited by tfrizz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 am

tfrizz wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:PP is still a concern for me, last night showed why i think crosby should be the point not malkin. malkin is more dangerous from the halfway then crosby. Sid does not have the laser of a one time that geno does. How many goals do we from geno like his first one last night opposed to sid (yes i know it wasn't a pp goal, but its the spot i am talking about). Second point the neal goal, crosby shot it for neals stick, you don't have to have a bomb of a shot, you need to get the puck on net

The problem here is that I don't believe Crosby's a dangerous enough shooter to be effective from the point. PKers will simply cheat pass and force Crosby to take a weak-ish slap shot on net.

this is why i think we need another defenseman out there. No one has that gonchar slapshot besides malkin and hes better down low. Crosby if he doesnt turn it over, is good at managing the puck but hes always looking to pass it, we need someone who can take a slapshot. Id rather had 2 D and crosby,malkin, neal. just my opinion.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins