Game 7 vs NY Rangers - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 7 vs NY Rangers - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby LAChrisPaul on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Supposedly, the MSG feed showed Malkin tomahawk chopping Staal on the way down to the ice. That's why Staal flipped out. I don't think it would've happened if Staal hadn't tackled him, but what do I know. :lol:

I'm a little concerned about the lack of response after some tussles after the whistle. Hagelund got 2-3 good whacks on Vokoun's glove before he was pulled away from the net - that sort of thing.

It didn't look intentional but Malkin's stick connected with Staal's head in a chopping motion as Geno was trying to regain his balance while falling. Then he got a bit of a left hand in as well, right to Staal's face. Definitely set Staal off more than he was already. But none of it would've happened if Staal hadn't tackled him after the whistle.
LAChrisPaul

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Penspal wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Gaucho wrote:He can neither reace nor replace him. No way.

As usual, everyone seems to forget/overlook Scott Harrington. He's a guy I could legitimately see making the jump from junior to the NHL next season... he's just got that kind of maturity to his game.

I love Harrington, just not sure if the Pens will rush/place him in the NHL without seasoning in the AHL. I assume Dumoulin would be ready next season for at least a top 6 roll, Niskanen could play top 4 if he isn't ready.

Yeah, whether the Pens let him make the jump or not will be seen next season - but I still believe he is (or will be) ready for it.

Shhhhh, Harrington is the secret weapon. He's got a little bit of everything (except maybe size), but I too believe he'll be in the NHL faster than it has taken some of the other D prospects. Defenceman who can play any situation and rarely makes mistakes are ____________.

He's pretty good in the size department, too. The Pens site has him listed at 6'2" 205lbs as a 19-year-old.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm

bh wrote:
DelPen wrote:Despres was great until he got hurt then he struggled when he came back right after Christmas. He needs to just be paired with letang the rest of the year, if he makes mistakes that's fine, it will pay off though in April.

agree with this. He's going to be a good one.
I like that he actually can get a shot from the point to the net.

Agreed. The kid plays better with more minutes. I suggested Letang as his partner last week, and took alot of grief here.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby helmespc on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Penspal wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
As usual, everyone seems to forget/overlook Scott Harrington. He's a guy I could legitimately see making the jump from junior to the NHL next season... he's just got that kind of maturity to his game.

I love Harrington, just not sure if the Pens will rush/place him in the NHL without seasoning in the AHL. I assume Dumoulin would be ready next season for at least a top 6 roll, Niskanen could play top 4 if he isn't ready.

Yeah, whether the Pens let him make the jump or not will be seen next season - but I still believe he is (or will be) ready for it.

Shhhhh, Harrington is the secret weapon. He's got a little bit of everything (except maybe size), but I too believe he'll be in the NHL faster than it has taken some of the other D prospects. Defenceman who can play any situation and rarely makes mistakes are ____________.

He's pretty good in the size department, too. The Pens site has him listed at 6'2" 205lbs as a 19-year-old.

Nothing about the Pens/Shero recent history indicates that they have any plans of using anyone fresh out of juniors any time soon.... heck they barely can bring themselves to field a rookie in the lineup...
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 pm

The MSG feed was so over the top for the rangers. At one point one of them says "I have never seen so much whining towards officials from both sides as I have seen in this game", only to follow up with something like "Not sure why Sid is complaining about that hit" ... in regards to the boarding no call hit he took.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Eric Majeski ‏@LGP_netwolf
Uh oh. 71 may be getting a call. RT @PensNewsFeed HockeyWebCast: Malkin Stick Swing Incident vs NYR - Jan 31, 2013 (HD) http://dlvr.it/2tSVWp

Eric Majeski ‏@LGP_netwolf
You cannot, under any circumstances, swing your stick at someone's head like that. If Malkin gets suspended, I have no argument.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:24 pm

That's not swinging a stick at someones had. Come on
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:28 pm

It's not pretty, but both parties are at fault. I wished Geno would just cut out this crap, but I don't see a suspension here.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Gaucho wrote:It's not pretty, but both parties are at fault. I wished Geno would just cut out this crap, but I don't see a suspension here.

If Staal doesn't knock him down to the ice and then try to jump on top of him his head isn't in any position to hit a verticle stick held by one hand.

If Orpik was doing this to Nash and Nash defded himself I'd be fine with that too.

Ref should have called one of the three hooks on Staal before it even got to that point.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby abwvu1 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:35 pm

DO NOT TRADE DESPRES!
abwvu1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Geno is clearly swinging his stick at Staal's head. There is no excuse for it, period.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Gaucho wrote:It's not pretty, but both parties are at fault. I wished Geno would just cut out this crap, but I don't see a suspension here.

I thought it looked intentional and suprised it didn't happen sooner. Geno does not keep his cool (remember the Zetterberg scrap?) and retaliates far too often particularly when he is frustrated.

I couldn't watch the game as Gamecentre Live buffers constantly through my Xbox, if I try to play through computer I get his with a 48hr blackout :evil: From what I saw before I gave up:

-Vokoun is a wonderful addition, we have a great tandem and can ride the hot hand into the playoffs.
-Kunitz needs to sit/get better, anything to 'get back to his game'.
-The sky may not be falling but the problems linger and I'm never sure which team will show up period to period.
-Jeffrey is not the answer, get Kunitz with Geno and give Boychuck a go with Sid (might spark Kunitz and Sid).
-Despres will be a joy to watch develop, please don't trade him GMRS!
-Martin has been a stud and I applaud him for finding his form but I would still rather trade him than Despres if possible *this depends on how Nisky recovers*
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Looks to me like Malkin is trying to defend himself and is waiving his arms while on the ground to do so. I don't think he was intentionally swinging his stick at Staal's head, but he needs to control his stick there. If he got a game I wouldn't really be surprised or upset.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:Geno is clearly swinging his stick at Staal's head. There is no excuse for it, period.

Yeah... I "Clearly" don't see it.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:02 pm

Go to 2:10 of the video and tell me what you see. If your answer is Geno trying to defend himself or Geno merely holding his stick vertically then I don't really know what to say.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Geno does swing his stick at Staal's head, no doubt about it, but he couldn't do much damage with that swing. Geno's on his back, so there probably wasn't much force behind it, and he was swinging his stick with just one hand. Also, prior to that, right before he dumps Geno, Staal swings his stick with two hands at Geno's elbow - and he connects. (You see it at :58, at 1:14, and at 2:03) I'm not condoning what Geno did - it was very stupid - but I can see why he may have lost his temper.
Last edited by Tico Rick on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the riddler on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 pm

That was a lot more violent than I initially thought. Both players were out of control, I doubt they'll be suspended though.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Geno does swing his stick at Staal's head, no doubt about it, but he couldn't do much damage with that swing. Geno's on his back, so there probably wasn't much force behind it, and he was swinging his stick with just one hand. Also, prior to that, right before he dumps Geno, Staal swings his stick with two hands at Geno's elbow - and he connects. I'm not condoning what Geno did - it was very stupid - but I can see why he may have lost his temper.

Geno took 2 wicked slashes by stall prior to them both falling to the ground. Watch the video. Staal gets upset about the inital hit Malkin applied and then he slashes Malkin accross the forearm on the right side of Lundquist... then malkin goes to the left side of Lundqust and Staal comes over and slashes Malkin even harder accross the forearm. Malkin then falls to the ice with Staal on top and does the tomohawk chop with his stick.

You can be upset with Malkin's stickwork all you want, but you have to also address Staal's as well.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:19 pm

I can see that, too, but it's still no excuse. And it doesn't matter how much damage he could or couldn't do. I'm not saying Geno is the worst person ever and needs to be suspended indefinitely, but he's clearly swinging his stick and he shouldn't do it. That is all.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Pitts wrote:
columbia wrote:Is it me or does Bortuzzo look kind of awkward/clumsy out on the ice?
(And I'm not even talking about when he fell down.)

But, I assumed from reading this board that he was the be-all, end-all savior to the defense?

(not saying it was you, just speaking generally)

I'm still pissed we let Strait go in favor of Lovejoy and Bortuzzo. Strait would have been an ideal 6/7 guy to rotate with Engelland.

Despres Letang
Orpik Martin
Niskanen Engelland
Strait

:thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:30 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:Dumoulin could reace Martin next season

He can neither reace nor replace him. No way.

:thumb:
Harrington will be great D-man.. Wow,we have Despres,Letang,Dumoulin,Morrow,Harrington and Orpik back there in a few years,really big and good D! 3 offensive and 3 defensive players..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

What will happen to Pouliot and Maata?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Gaucho wrote:What will happen to Pouliot and Maata?

Hard to say. I'd put stock in Maatta making it as a regular simply because he's been paired with Harrington for a few seasons in junior - so they already have history/chemistry before turning pro. Not to mention Dale Hunter made that very same comment - that Maatta and Harrington will make an excellent pair for the Pens some day.

I'd say either Morrow or Pouliot (or maybe both) end up being traded for some wingers.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Trading Morrow would be silly as he is, even at his current point in development, the best powerplay quarterback in the entire organization.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:01 pm

I don't see a case where we can keep more than 3 or 4 of those players in the line up at a time unless we trade Letang or Orpik. The problem is that it might be hard to 'stagger' when they can get in the line up, no doubt that Dumoulin, Morrow, and Harrington are very close to NHL ready, we simply don't have the roster spots to put them in the line up at the same time.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins