Official Gameday Thread: Pens vs. Devils 2/2/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Gameday Thread: Pens vs. Devils 2/2/2013

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Boychuk aside, I just don't know how Tangradi could be considered a prospect.

Suspect? yes.
Prospect? no.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:37 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:I seriously can't understand why anyone would put any mental power into worrying about whether Dustin Jeffrey plays. He is seriously generic AHL player #902348029348092314. Who gives a crap if he is playing or greeting people at walmart.

You don't win games with a few stars and a bunch of AHL players. Jeffrey will have a role this season. Right it down. Why would anyone with any hockey knowledge not understand the importance of developing dependable role players?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Something I don't think has been quite noticed:

We held them to 16 shots. 16. Went 14 minutes in the 3rd without giving up a shot.

Wow.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:45 pm

tfrizz wrote:
DelPen wrote:
joe icepick wrote:Tahgradi could be a good guy to sweetin the pot in a trade.

Not a chance. Only value he has is to a team that actually wants him right now but thinks he won't clear waivers.

Lovejoy and Jeffrey definitely won't clear. Tangradi might actually do it though.

Tangradi won't clear waivers, and neither will Jeffrey or Lovejoy.

Tangradi can be waived to WBS at this point. Nobody is going to offer an asset for him in a trade, and you cannot run your NHL club based on whether some bottom feeder is willing to take him and let him waste time on THEIR NHL roster.

Everyone on here that is a genius DOES realize that Boychuk CLEARLY did not have any takers in terms of a 7th round pick in trade - because there is no comparison in these two as "prospects". There isn't a team in the league that would offer us anything for Tangradi and he wastes a roster spot here.

You look at Boychuk and you can immediately see why the Pens felt he was worth a shot. He may not keep it up, but on three seperate occassions today I had an "aha" moment watching him. He whistled a clearly NHL wrist shot just over the net from the right wing boards, he took the shot and did not defer to Malkin on a 2 on 1 and forced a pretty decent save by Broduer and he pulled a spin-o-rama on a rush with Neal and Malkin. Those moments showed that he has NHL "potential" in his head and clearly in his skills. That is to say nothing of the way he used his body today. At about 50 lbs less than that pile of garbage Tangradi - he seperated several Devils from pucks.

Tangradi has ZERO worth keeping him for. In limited roles due to injury, Riley Holzapfel would be able to contribute more as would a few other guys down there. Then there is the clearly NHL level prospect in Bennett.

There is absolutely NO reason to fear losing Tangradi at this point.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:49 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Not a chance. Only value he has is to a team that actually wants him right now but thinks he won't clear waivers.

Lovejoy and Jeffrey definitely won't clear. Tangradi might actually do it though.

Tangradi can be waived to WBS at this point. Nobody is going to offer an asset for him in a trade, and you cannot run your NHL club based on whether some bottom feeder is willing to take him and let him waste time on THEIR NHL roster.

Everyone on here that is a genius DOES realize that Boychuk CLEARLY did not have any takers in terms of a 7th round pick in trade - because there is no comparison in these two as "prospects". There isn't a team in the league that would offer us anything for Tangradi and he wastes a roster spot here.

You look at Boychuk and you can immediately see why the Pens felt he was worth a shot. He may not keep it up, but on three seperate occassions today I had an "aha" moment watching him. He whistled a clearly NHL wrist shot just over the net from the right wing boards, he took the shot and did not defer to Malkin on a 2 on 1 and forced a pretty decent save by Broduer and he pulled a spin-o-rama on a rush with Neal and Malkin. Those moments showed that he has NHL "potential" in his head and clearly in his skills. That is to say nothing of the way he used his body today. At about 50 lbs less than that pile of garbage Tangradi - he seperated several Devils from pucks.

Tangradi has ZERO worth keeping him for. In limited roles due to injury, Riley Holzapfel would be able to contribute more as would a few other guys down there. Then there is the clearly NHL level prospect in Bennett.

:thumb: That says it all. While I think Boychuk isn't much and he never impressed me at with Carolina besides "OMG...he was a 1st rounder??", I'd rather see him getting ice time than Tangradi.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
Tough day for NJD Kovalchuk. About 24 TOI, no points and minus-3 in loss to PIT.

thanks to Brooks & the reborn, renewed Paul Martin!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:35 pm

That post by Bowser was awesome.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Steve Dave wrote:Liked what I've seen from Despres. If he continues to improve and Bortuzzo settles in, I don't see a need for an upgrade on D. Trade Lovejoy for a 7th and sign Eaton for depth...

Despres Letang
Orpik Martin
Niskanen Engelland
Eaton Bortuzzo

I like it. Nisky can get back to form with some protected minutes - could switch him and Despres depending on who is playing better. Bortuzzo impressive, certainly doesn't weaken the 5/6 pairing, Lovejoy has lost his spot for good IMO.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

Point of clarification, Rutherford never put Boychuk on the block. He wanted him to get ice time in the top 6 in Charlotte and not waste away on the Canes 4th line. He was not at all happy to lose him on waivers.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Anyone know how many teams passed on Boychuk before the Pens picked him? I'm not sure if they're still operating on last year's records for the order of claiming people off the waiver wire. According to Boychuk, when Kirk Muller told him he was put on waivers, Muller seemed to think that another team would in fact claim him. It sounds like they figured Boychuk wouldn't work for them and they wanted to give him a chance to catch on with someone else.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 pm

DelPen wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:That SHG was a glaring blemish on an otherwise terrific game. Good thing it didn't factor in at all.

So happy for Bortuzzo: First-ever NHL goal and it was against Brodeur. Good for him!

How many players also have their first NHL goal chase Uncle Daddy from the net? Can't be many.

Apparently, it's more than we think. In fact, the NJD board on HF has a running thread...

"The official my first goal in the NHL was scored on Marty Brodeur!" thread. Bortuzzo's added on page 6. LOL!!!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... 997&page=6
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Guinness wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:Maybe I'm an old cranky broad,

:lol: I love the self-deprecating humor! :)

You would, ya old bastid! :wink: :lol:

Yours truly,
OCBbSYtG
(Old Cranky Broad but Still Younger than Geezer :D )
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Geezer wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I was hoping the woos would still be locked out, banned by the new CBA, or something.

Maybe I'm an old cranky broad, but I just freaking can't stand the woos.

OK, I'm off to go lighten up... :D

Drop the old stuff; I likely have shoes older than you and a couple kids. I'm the antique benchmark.

:lol:

I saw "I'm an antique bench" and thought "Whaaaa?"
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PghSkins on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:01 pm

3 just on the current Pens

Malkin
Bouchuk
Bortuzzo
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:15 am

The Snapshot wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
DelPen wrote:

My argument over who should get waived is likely moot anyway. Bylsma flat-out said he won't keep 8 defensemen on the team and I really doubt he's planning on keeping 14 forwards.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:33 am

DelPen wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Point of clarification, Rutherford never put Boychuk on the block. He wanted him to get ice time in the top 6 in Charlotte and not waste away on the Canes 4th line. He was not at all happy to lose him on waivers.

Then he should be fired. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. He thought he would pass through waivers a 1st round pick with his AHL past and never checked on any interest in him. Moronic.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:35 am

Tico Rick wrote:Anyone know how many teams passed on Boychuk before the Pens picked him? I'm not sure if they're still operating on last year's records for the order of claiming people off the waiver wire. According to Boychuk, when Kirk Muller told him he was put on waivers, Muller seemed to think that another team would in fact claim him. It sounds like they figured Boychuk wouldn't work for them and they wanted to give him a chance to catch on with someone else.

Complete contradiction of Delpen's info above. If Muller thought he would be claimed, and the GM never tried to get a late round pick for him instead, then Carolina is run by a buffoon.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The U on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:02 am

Boychuck, Strait, etc... We're surely shopped before being waived. My hopes of getting something/anything in return for Lovejoy and Tangradi is dwindling.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby guiner on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:56 am

The U wrote:Boychuck, Strait, etc... We're surely shopped before being waived. My hopes of getting something/anything in return for Lovejoy and Tangradi is dwindling.

A friend of mine from Calgary said he would trade Boooomister for Lovejoy straight up. I think there was a great deal of hate for Boooomister, but he thinks Lovejoy is pretty good. This was from about 2 years ago, when Lovejoy was 'getting to his game.'

I still think Lovejoy is better than most around here, I think he'll end up having a decent NHL career, but probably not here. Too much depth, doesn't mean he deserves to get dumped on.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:52 am

@TheSnapshot

I can't believe how much we differ about Tangradi. First off, I don't think the kid is a future all star or anything but I believe he would 100% be claimed off waivers very fast. It's completely the system for Tangradi's troubles, and the coach who won't even give him 5-10 consistent games in the top 6. Rick Tocchet scored 90% of his goals 5 feet from the net. That's where Tangradi can be effective. Another reason he'll be picked up? He's 6'4". You simply can't teach size, and I'm sure some dumb team like the Panthers or maybe even the Islanders would pick him up. Tangradi has shown he can put up respectable numbers in the AHL in the top 6. Its tough to go from the top 6 in the minors, to playing along side Sid and/or Geno, literally the top 2 centers in the world. He simply might not be good enough for those talented centers. I'm sick of this current 3rd line...I'd love to see Tangradi get some extended time besides Sutter.

As far as Lovejoy getting picked up, (and getting picked up on waivers of Tangradi), I'm sorry bro but I seriously LOL'ed when I read that. A 23 year old, developing big bodied forward, over a 29 year old (february 20th) who is at best a 7th defenseman on a strong playoff team?? Lovejoy is nothing but a career AHL all-star at best. The fact that Strait was put on waivers before Lovejoy drives me insane. Look how much better the Pens defense is with bigger (6'4") and faster younger defenseman in Despres and Bortuzzo? If Despres and/or Bortuzzo lose any time to Lovejoy it's a freaking joke. Ben Lovejoy shouldn't be at the NHL level.

I really hope they do throw in Tangradi for some package just so we can prove everyone wrong. Go read what Strait said about Bylsma, it's the exact same thing happening to Tangradi.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guiner on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:11 am

Nizzy wrote:@TheSnapshot

I can't believe how much we differ about Tangradi. First off, I don't think the kid is a future all star or anything but I believe he would 100% be claimed off waivers very fast. It's completely the system for Tangradi's troubles, and the coach who won't even give him 5-10 consistent games in the top 6. Rick Tocchet scored 90% of his goals 5 feet from the net. That's where Tangradi can be effective. Another reason he'll be picked up? He's 6'4". You simply can't teach size, and I'm sure some dumb team like the Panthers or maybe even the Islanders would pick him up. Tangradi has shown he can put up respectable numbers in the AHL in the top 6. Its tough to go from the top 6 in the minors, to playing along side Sid and/or Geno, literally the top 2 centers in the world. He simply might not be good enough for those talented centers. I'm sick of this current 3rd line...I'd love to see Tangradi get some extended time besides Sutter.

As far as Lovejoy getting picked up, (and getting picked up on waivers of Tangradi), I'm sorry bro but I seriously LOL'ed when I read that. A 23 year old, developing big bodied forward, over a 29 year old (february 20th) who is at best a 7th defenseman on a strong playoff team?? Lovejoy is nothing but a career AHL all-star at best. The fact that Strait was put on waivers before Lovejoy drives me insane. Look how much better the Pens defense is with bigger (6'4") and faster younger defenseman in Despres and Bortuzzo? If Despres and/or Bortuzzo lose any time to Lovejoy it's a freaking joke. Ben Lovejoy shouldn't be at the NHL level.

I really hope they do throw in Tangradi for some package just so we can prove everyone wrong. Go read what Strait said about Bylsma, it's the exact same thing happening to Tangradi.

The only problem with your analysis is that Tangradi can't skate, pass, receive a pass, play physical, shoot or contribute anything whatsoever at the NHL level. The guy is probably the worst prospect I've seen in almost 40 years of watching the Pens.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 am

guiner wrote:
Nizzy wrote:@TheSnapshot

The only problem with your analysis is that Tangradi can't skate, pass, receive a pass, play physical, shoot or contribute anything whatsoever at the NHL level. The guy is probably the worst prospect I've seen in almost 40 years of watching the Pens.

Nizzy - get over to the Fire DB thread. Your insight is needed. Are you serious? There has never been a Hockey "system" in history that didn't involve iceskates, and he can't use them.
Last edited by The Snapshot on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:06 am

:lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins