Do other teams jerk players around like this?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do other teams jerk players around like this?

Postby MarioLives on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 pm

This is the stuff that irritates me about HCDB. Jeffrey played well and his reward is off the 2nd line for a guy who has not proved anything. Does any other team jerk their players around like this? Or is this normal? I wonder only because it must be hard to stay up when you play well and get scratched the next day.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Do other teams jerk players around like this?

Postby Beveridge on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 pm

This was said in countless other threads that this would happen.

Jeffrey is the odd man out. You don't pick up someone off waivers to sit them.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Who cares about Dustin Jeffrey?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 pm

geoffrey is a turd
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:08 pm

Penguins know what they have in jeffrey.
They have a few games before Niskanen comes back from IR, they need to see what Boychuck has.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Jeffrey brought nothing to that line except he wasn't slow as cement like Tangradi. If Boychuk didn't have to fly in from Oklahoma City on Thursday he would have been in the lineup.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm

DelPen wrote:Jeffrey brought nothing to that line

Wasn't he screening the goalie on Malkin's goal? Has he been on the ice for a goal yet? People were saying he was one of the few Pens on the ice vs the Isle who actually looked good.

If we'd had Boychuck on the roster and we just picked up Jeffrey, people would be calling Boychuck a turd and hailing the new toy Jeffrey...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Boychuk looks pretty good.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Jeffrey is a solid player. But Boychuk is better at any level you want to do a head to head in stats comparison.

It's not like he took a spot from Bennett or, um, uh...
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Beveridge wrote:This was said in countless other threads that this would happen.

Jeffrey is the odd man out. You don't pick up someone off waivers to sit them.

I love the way Randy Carlyle put it.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Carlyle says "We didn't take him on waivers to sit him in the stands" on McLaren. So sounds like he's in.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:40 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Who cares about Dustin Jeffrey?

Never understood why anyone cares about him. He's about as good as Tom Wandell...another anonymous NHLer that half the board has never heard of...he's just not worth bellyaching over. If we lost him on waivers, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep...wink being the primary unit of measure for sleep...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby guiner on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm

If Boychuck opportunity doesn't come about, I'm sure he gets another game in that spot. He had enough positive over negative to get another nod, but you can't control who is available on waivers. So far it looks like like Boychuk is an improvement and that is Shero's job, to make moves to improve the team. Jeffrey's job is to just work hard in practice and be ready if needed.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm sure he'll get in another 10-15 games this year (under whatever circumstances) and that seems appropriate for what he is:
a capable and completely unremarkable plugin.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:18 pm

pcm wrote:
DelPen wrote:Jeffrey brought nothing to that line

Wasn't he screening the goalie on Malkin's goal? Has he been on the ice for a goal yet? People were saying he was one of the few Pens on the ice vs the Isle who actually looked good.

If we'd had Boychuck on the roster and we just picked up Jeffrey, people would be calling Boychuck a turd and hailing the new toy Jeffrey...

Stop stating facts. Jeffrey played very well in NY. I like Boychuk today and hipe he can keep Jeffrey on the bench or on the 4th line. In either case, we are stronger if Jeffrey can't crack the lineup, because he can play in this league.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 pm

guiner wrote:If Boychuck opportunity doesn't come about, I'm sure he gets another game in that spot. He had enough positive over negative to get another nod, but you can't control who is available on waivers. So far it looks like like Boychuk is an improvement and that is Shero's job, to make moves to improve the team. Jeffrey's job is to just work hard in practice and be ready if needed.

This. It is ideal if both guys can contribute in whatever role they are offered. Does anyone remember the black aces of the Cup runs? You need at least 4 or 5 guys outside of the regular roster to contribute something to win a Cup. That's if you don't have an unusual number of injuries.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kharlamov on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 pm

LEAVE JEFFREY ALONE!
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

columbia wrote:I'm sure he'll get in another 10-15 games this year (under whatever circumstances) and that seems appropriate for what he is:

More and more, I'm of the mind that potential is less important than production. He's another guy that was great in WBS and came to PGH and hasn't clicked. Hurts to burn so many guys, but he and Tangradi are not unreasonable casualties. Trade if possible, or let them have their shot elsewhere.

That said, other teams do move players around alot, and I don't think even the guys moving around think its abnormal. Check out what Toronto has done to their talent in the last few years.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:07 am

Pitt87 wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm sure he'll get in another 10-15 games this year (under whatever circumstances) and that seems appropriate for what he is:

More and more, I'm of the mind that potential is less important than production. He's another guy that was great in WBS and came to PGH and hasn't clicked. Hurts to burn so many guys, but he and Tangradi are not unreasonable casualties. Trade if possible, or let them have their shot elsewhere.

That said, other teams do move players around alot, and I don't think even the guys moving around think its abnormal. Check out what Toronto has done to their talent in the last few years.

What irks me about HCDB is that he never seems to leave things alone LONG ENOUGH to get a good appraisal. Production comes from being in a role that suits a player, and these guys don't even seem to get a full game before they are swapped around to a Totally different role. A couple of instances from 1st to 4th line.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:31 am

That's because he's trying to figure out what *his* system is.

HCDB has no confidence, you don't think the players sense that?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:05 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:That's because he's trying to figure out what *his* system is.

HCDB has no confidence, you don't think the players sense that?

Never thought about it that way... I think its fair to say that he's struggled with the adjustments he's had to make, but offensively we've been dominant under HCDB. He's gotten a ton out of Sid and Geno, considering they've been easily the #1 and #2 players in the world when healthy.

Where I see the most problem is with the application of role players (i.e. everyone has to play multiple roles in the system so weaknesses are exposed) and getting younger guys to fit in. He does seem to give up fast on those guys.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins