Game 8 vs NJ Devils - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 8 vs NJ Devils - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:57 am

Pens win 5-1

- For two periods it was a close game, 5-1 score is deceptive
- Sid looked sharper, and got the results. I am no longer officially :scared:
- Sid also showed some "Richards-esque" leadership by slew footing and then poking a Devil checker
- Boychuk was quick and surprisingly physical for a smaller player, I for one support the experiment, could payoff
- Bortuzzo & Despres also showed confidence and promise. What else is down on the farm?????? Makes you wonder.
- Kunitz must have activated his wolverine regen powers, he was beast mode today.
- Most impressed with team defence, puck support - a cohesive unit
- Glass was half empty yesterday, perhaps we'll seen ET in his spot for today's game
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 8 vs NJ Devils - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:22 am

They played as a 5 man unit and the result showed.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 am

Penspal wrote:
- Sid also showed some "Richards-esque" leadership by slew footing and then poking a Devil checker

:thumbdown:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:41 am

-Team played solid D, the breakouts and passing were executed well.
-Boychuck's skating, shooting, hitting and first game chemistry all very good, best experiment yet and allowed the bottom 6 some stability.
-Despres looks back to his old self. Will be interesting when Nisky returns.
-Bortuzzo looked more competent and the 5/6 pairing was solid.
-Not impressed with Sid's slew foot, not the type of leadership he wants to be known for.
-Did the PP change after the shorty was allowed? Please, for the love of God, 2 D 3 F!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:56 am

I would say the closeness in score for the first 2 pds was deceptive... Not the final score. pens pretty much dominated start to finish.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jfu21 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:10 am

The D as a whole played extremely well, and held New Jersey to fifteen shots on goal. Fluery had a few good saves towards the end of the game. Overall it was probably the most dominating performances by the Penguins so far this year hands down.
Jfu21
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:13 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Do you not agree it was a slewfoot or do you just not like that it happened? It was very Mike Richards don't you think?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:16 am

- Bortuzzo's performance really helped boost the effectiveness of the Penguins defense. He didn't play enough with just 12:27 TOI... hopefully over time and when Niskanen returns and Engelland hits the press box... the ice time for Martin, Orpik, and Letang can get a little lower on a per game basis in order to keep them all fresh. I can't stress enough how much important it will be in a condensed 48-game schedule and playoff run to keep those top four defensemen healthy.

- Was happy to see less stretch passes by the Penguins. In fact, I thought it was hilarious to see the Penguins turn the table on another team's attempt at a stretch pass as the goal scored by Crosby was the result of a pass inside the NJ defensive zone to a forward standing still at the Penguins blue line with Bortuzzo in great position to shutoff the wall and knock the puck away. The loose puck was scooped up and quickly passed up to Crosby who had the momentum and Devils were flat footed because of the turnover. Someone needs to play that film over and over and over again.

- Crosby was outstanding yesterday and it was the little things that he, Kunitz, and Dupuis were doing along the boards that really stood out. Nothing highlighted that better than the Bortuzzo goal in which those three forwards were dogged in their pursuit of the puck after Kunitz dumped it into the corner. If you didn't see my breakdown in the game thread, check it out on page 26 or here --> http://pittsburghfancentral.blogspot.co ... -goal.html

- Still amazed by the turnaround in performance by Paul Martin.

- Players managed the puck so much better with less stretch passes, in turn, less turnovers (13) than during some of those ugly games where they had 21, 19, and 17.
Game Pens TK Pens GV Opp TK Opp GV Pens Turnovers Opp Turnovers
PIT at PHI 10 8 8 12 16 22
PIT at NYR 7 5 5 7 10 14
TOR at PIT 3 2 3 7 5 10
PIT at WPG 1 9 10 7 19 8
PIT at OTT 9 9 12 9 21 18
NYI at PIT 4 11 6 2 17 6
PIT at NYR 3 6 6 3 12 6
NJD at PIT 2 8 5 5 13 7
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 am

That was a peice of crap move by sid at the end. I hate when he does that garbage. It ended up being pretty harmless, but it makes me think he still doesn't "get it". Game 7 against Montreal...game 3 against Philly...those demons are still there.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 am

Penspal wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Do you not agree it was a slewfoot or do you just not like that it happened? It was very Mike Richards don't you think?

Oh no, don't misunderstand, it was a bush league move by someone who certainly should be above that kind of crap.

Living in the NY area I take a lot of crap from Debs, Isles, and Rangers fans about Sid. In this case all I can do is shrug my shoulders and smile.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 am

Bowser wrote:- Still amazed by the turnaround in performance by Paul Martin.

As much as I liked Michalek, it almost makes me wonder if he wasn't the problem...
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 am

blurryhaze312 wrote:
Bowser wrote:- Still amazed by the turnaround in performance by Paul Martin.

As much as I liked Michalek, it almost makes me wonder if he wasn't the problem...

There were probably multiple factors to PM's atrocious play and just as many to his fantastic turnaround. I must admit the D seems better than I expected following Z's departure.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:46 am

Martin had a stretch in the middle of last season where he was playing just as well as he is now. His failures weren't that circumstancial last year.

I'm not surprised he is playing well. I'll be surprised if Jeckle/Hyde doesn't come back.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:17 am

shmenguin wrote:Martin had a stretch in the middle of last season where he was playing just as well as he is now. His failures weren't that circumstancial last year.

I'm not surprised he is playing well. I'll be surprised if Jeckle/Hyde doesn't come back.

I'm just blown away by his lack of strength. I'm happy he's playing better hockey and looking competent finally, but how does an NHL player at his age have such little strength? His shot is ridiculously horrible, his clearing attempts on PK's are feeble, and don't even get me started when he's on his backhand! :scared: I just don't get it.

Gotta love my hometown boy Bortuzzo stepping up and looking like he can contribute.....I've been calling for this since the beginning of the season. How pumped was he to score his first goal? He also becomes the first former SIJHL player to score a goal in the NHL!

Kunitz looked like Kunitz finally. If he can't keep it up, I'd still like to see Boychuk get a look with Sid and reunite Kunitz with Malkin. However for now, Kunitz might be finding his game.

DB - Did he make some slight adjustments? Less stretch passes, shorter stretch passes, etc.

Our team emotion seemed to come back yesterday. Sid was pumped to score, which he didn't seem to be before. It would be nice to see Geno bust out today with some big celebrations....and Ovy can bring that out in him.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:22 am

D pairings when Nisky returns?

Letang-Despres
Martin-Orpik
Bortuzzo-Niskanen

I don't think you can want to put two rookies out there together...at the same time, that likely limit's Niskanen's ice time and he was really playing well.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:24 am

columbia wrote:D pairings when Nisky returns?

Letang-Despres
Martin-Orpik
Bortuzzo-Niskanen

I don't think you can want to put two rookies out there together...at the same time, that likely limit's Niskanen's ice time and he was really playing well.

The ability to roll 3 pairings might be a good thing. Instead of insulating some players, we might be able to limit Letang's high numbers and keep him fresh.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:27 am

If all goes well, it's certainly a good problem to have. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:48 am

-Bortuzzo and Despres have been very good. Bortuzzo was instrumental in the Crosby goal (See Bowser's post) and Despres keep making the right decisions on the ice.

-Has anyone noticed what Dan Bylsma did with Letang? Made him even more effective, that's what. With Letang playing with Despres, that Keeps him from playing in the role of the 'Top defensive pairing'. The role is now in the shutdown pairing of Martin and Orpik. Those two take the minutes against the other team's top lines and frees Letang to be more offensive oriented in his game. It plays to the strengths of the top shutdown pair while also playing to the strengths of one of the most gifted defenseman in the league. Dejan had a great article on this. Simply incredible.

-Speaking of the shutdown pair. Moving Martin back to the right side of the ice just keeps showing how great a move that was. The guy looks reborn back at his native position.

-Crosby is heating up and so are his linemates. Watch for that line to get even more even strength goals today versus the caps.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby midd on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 pm

They played well yesterday. Still too many turnovers, especially those cross ice passes. Just shoot the puck already!!
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 pm

The one thing that I noticed was Despres playing balls to the wall. He went full speed into every corner for every puck battle. He was hitting guys every chance he had. He was fighting for everything and you could see him hustling. He's playing like someone who has no intention of going back to the press box or to the AHL.

The only thing I question is whether he can sustain that. He's a pro athlete and in great shape, but that stuff burns. I'm interested so see if he can do that again today or if he shows the signs of being a little worn down from that type of game.

Great job by him.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Flower & I didn't mind not seeing Zack Parise at all! :D
Brooks and Martin did the job on Ilya K!

What a smile on R Bortuzzo!

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
Caps' Ovechkin before game vs. #Penguins: "I'm standing here, I have only 3 points. It kind of embarrasses me, but it is what it is."

Let's hope Alex doesn't break out today on NBC.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:33 pm

bhaw wrote:The one thing that I noticed was Despres playing balls to the wall. He went full speed into every corner for every puck battle. He was hitting guys every chance he had. He was fighting for everything and you could see him hustling. He's playing like someone who has no intention of going back to the press box or to the AHL.

The only thing I question is whether he can sustain that. He's a pro athlete and in great shape, but that stuff burns. I'm interested so see if he can do that again today or if he shows the signs of being a little worn down from that type of game.

Great job by him.

Def not his best game today...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:43 pm

columbia wrote:D pairings when Nisky returns?

Letang-Despres
Martin-Orpik
Bortuzzo-Niskanen

Does anyone else feel sadly confident that no matter how well Bort plays, when Niskanen comes back Engelland will be in there and Bort will sit?

Parenthetically, I'll take this opportunity to thank Matt Niskanen for living up to the hope I had for him when PGH got him as a "throw in" with Neal!
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins