Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 pm

He is also rather tall.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,210
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby tfrizz on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:04 pm

mikey287 wrote:
and Tangradi is still a mystery despite his play in the O this year...hopefully he's the type that gets better when he turns pro, but there are a lot of reservations about him still...


Favorable quote cherry pick by me, of my own quote from the Whitney/Kunitz trade. At the time he was second in the OHL in scoring to John Tavares...


I'm usually a bit wary of guys who don't show much in junior until they are 19 or 20 (not that many of those guys go pro anyway) but Tangradi putting up 60 points in 56 games as an 18-year-old and 88 points in 55 games as a 19-year-old really gave some credibility to his prospect status.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:37 pm

tfrizz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
and Tangradi is still a mystery despite his play in the O this year...hopefully he's the type that gets better when he turns pro, but there are a lot of reservations about him still...


Favorable quote cherry pick by me, of my own quote from the Whitney/Kunitz trade. At the time he was second in the OHL in scoring to John Tavares...


I'm usually a bit wary of guys who don't show much in junior until they are 19 or 20 (not that many of those guys go pro anyway) but Tangradi putting up 60 points in 56 games as an 18-year-old and 88 points in 55 games as a 19-year-old really gave some credibility to his prospect status.


Those numbers are not all that impressive for an overage guy. It was the fact that he was so large and the thought was that he was going to get stronger, faster and learn how to use that to be a power forward. He is very far from a power forward in almost every sense now these years later. He has not gotten stronger, faster or learned to use his size still. I continue to wonder how he conditions himself, because he takes short shifts and always looks gassed out there.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby tfrizz on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:00 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
and Tangradi is still a mystery despite his play in the O this year...hopefully he's the type that gets better when he turns pro, but there are a lot of reservations about him still...


Favorable quote cherry pick by me, of my own quote from the Whitney/Kunitz trade. At the time he was second in the OHL in scoring to John Tavares...


I'm usually a bit wary of guys who don't show much in junior until they are 19 or 20 (not that many of those guys go pro anyway) but Tangradi putting up 60 points in 56 games as an 18-year-old and 88 points in 55 games as a 19-year-old really gave some credibility to his prospect status.


Those numbers are not all that impressive for an overage guy. It was the fact that he was so large and the thought was that he was going to get stronger, faster and learn how to use that to be a power forward. He is very far from a power forward in almost every sense now these years later. He has not gotten stronger, faster or learned to use his size still. I continue to wonder how he conditions himself, because he takes short shifts and always looks gassed out there.


He tweeted over the summer that he works out with Kevin Neeld at Endeavor Sports Performance. Beyond that, who knows...
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby Nizzy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Bylsma ruined him with the short leash. Strait said it best about Bylsma, prospects aren't good to play under him. He's a career 4th line grinder, what the heck does he know about developing a power forward top 6? He only knows dump and chase.

Trade Tangradi for a mid round pick and lets just end this now. I'm still positive this kid turns into a 20-20 guy, 2nd liner for a team. Just not here, under disco, where unless your 5'9, 180 fringe grinder with speed, you're nothing.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Nizzy wrote:Bylsma ruined him with the short leash. Strait said it best about Bylsma, prospects aren't good to play under him. He's a career 4th line grinder, what the heck does he know about developing a power forward top 6? He only knows dump and chase.

Maybe if Tangradi had shown any flashes at all that he was a NHL talent then he would be still in the line up. He has shown nothing, but of course its Bylsma's fault for not changing a system to fit the style of a career AHLer.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby Nizzy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Bylsma ruined him with the short leash. Strait said it best about Bylsma, prospects aren't good to play under him. He's a career 4th line grinder, what the heck does he know about developing a power forward top 6? He only knows dump and chase.

Maybe if Tangradi had shown any flashes at all that he was a NHL talent then he would be still in the line up. He has shown nothing, but of course its Bylsma's fault for not changing a system to fit the style of a career AHLer.


Nobody can tell me with a straight face that if you take Tyler Kennedy out for the next 20 games, and put Tangradi in his place, that Tangradi won't do more for this team.

TYPICAL TYLER KENNEDY, SCORES 2 GOALS TO START THE SEASON AND THEN GOES COMPLETELY INVISIBLE. Is he even playing today? Let me see the boxscore to see if hes even iced. Tangradi was good vs Philly in his limited time. He completely crushed Kovalchuk, stole the puck, and set up a teammate for a goal. I've never see that much from TK to set up a goal. I'm not saying Tangradi is a savior but he is NHL talent. It's just the dump and chase no talent, 4th line style system. Unless you're speedy you can't play here.

Tangradi will be a 20-20 guy for another NHL team. Out of his 48 career NHL games, who was his centerman for 45 of those? Craig Adams. LMAO/end of conversation.

Lets forget about Tyler Kennedy doing nothing but chipping the puck in because thats what BYLSMA wants to see. Has matt cooke even played this year? Don't forget how easy the Penguins have been to play against over the past few seasons. You can't teach size. 6'4 guys don't show up everywhere. I'm not saying Tangradi is amazing but I'm 100% sure he will be more useful going forward than some of these scrub bottom 6 forwards.

Sutter isn't the fastest guy. Let Tangradi get a 10 game spand beside Sutter. Boychuk Sutter Tangradi, and get Kulemin for Malkin's line. Put Kennedy on the 4th with Vitale.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 pm

You seem to be seeing something that isn't there.
Not sure what to say.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,852
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby Nizzy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Remember,

Ryan Malone WAS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS playing beside Crosby. He even admitted it was hard to play alongside him. He found a good grove with Malkin and Sykora. That was when Malone was what, 26? Put Tangradi on the 3rd line, how would he be any worse than little tiger who goes invisible for 8 games at a time?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby Nizzy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Rick Tocchet scored all his goals right beside the net. Malone was effective right beside the net. Tangradi has to be there. Instead its all dump and chase. Just trade Tangradi and something for Kulemin, because he's just wasting away.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Nizzy wrote:Rick Tocchet scored all his goals right beside the net. Malone was effective right beside the net. Tangradi has to be there. Instead its all dump and chase. Just trade Tangradi and something for Kulemin, because he's just wasting away.

Tangradi is a pylon near the goal, no hands at all. If you want to prove that Bylsma's system is holding somebody back please start with a NHL caliber player first.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Nizzy wrote:Rick Tocchet scored all his goals right beside the net. Malone was effective right beside the net. Tangradi has to be there. Instead its all dump and chase. Just trade Tangradi and something for Kulemin, because he's just wasting away.


Right. And Tangradi isn't there when given the chance. It's no one's fault but his own.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,716
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 am

He is a good topic of discussion on LGP.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,710
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby mikey287 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 pm

I don't agree with the turn of events in the last half dozen posts in this thread. The difference between Kennedy and, previously, Malone is obvious to me. And I'm not even that much of a Tangradi hater. I endorsed him getting a shot going into the season and through its early stages. It's not looking so hot. Circumstances apply, but I didn't see noteworthy progress in his short time. Other players have made noteworthy progress in a short time: Martin, Kennedy, Sutter, Glass, etc. even HCDB has made noteworthy progress. Tangradi, I don't believe, falls into that category.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,107
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 pm

mikey287 wrote:I don't agree with the turn of events in the last half dozen posts in this thread. The difference between Kennedy and, previously, Malone is obvious to me. And I'm not even that much of a Tangradi hater. I endorsed him getting a shot going into the season and through its early stages. It's not looking so hot. Circumstances apply, but I didn't see noteworthy progress in his short time. Other players have made noteworthy progress in a short time: Martin, Kennedy, Sutter, Glass, etc. even HCDB has made noteworthy progress. Tangradi, I don't believe, falls into that category.


Some would argue that he can't make progress in the Press Box. I would argue that he can't play on this team, so he sits because he can't be waived to WBS. When we need his spot to provide an able-bodied replacement for injuries, he has to be sent down. If we lose him on waivers so be it. There is no way he brings a pick in return.

If these posters do not believe that we could get a draft pick for Kennedy they are nuts.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I don't agree with the turn of events in the last half dozen posts in this thread. The difference between Kennedy and, previously, Malone is obvious to me. And I'm not even that much of a Tangradi hater. I endorsed him getting a shot going into the season and through its early stages. It's not looking so hot. Circumstances apply, but I didn't see noteworthy progress in his short time. Other players have made noteworthy progress in a short time: Martin, Kennedy, Sutter, Glass, etc. even HCDB has made noteworthy progress. Tangradi, I don't believe, falls into that category.


Some would argue that he can't make progress in the Press Box. I would argue that he can't play on this team, so he sits because he can't be waived to WBS. When we need his spot to provide an able-bodied replacement for injuries, he has to be sent down. If we lose him on waivers so be it. There is no way he brings a pick in return.

If these posters do not believe that we could get a draft pick for Kennedy they are nuts.


There won't be a time where they need his roster spot for injury replacement because they'll use him and Jeffrey before calling up anyone else.

Even when Niskanen returns, Reese will simply be sent back to WBS. Since he's already cleared waivers this season, he's exempt until he plays 10 NHL games or is on an NHL roster for 30 days.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 pm

tfrizz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I don't agree with the turn of events in the last half dozen posts in this thread. The difference between Kennedy and, previously, Malone is obvious to me. And I'm not even that much of a Tangradi hater. I endorsed him getting a shot going into the season and through its early stages. It's not looking so hot. Circumstances apply, but I didn't see noteworthy progress in his short time. Other players have made noteworthy progress in a short time: Martin, Kennedy, Sutter, Glass, etc. even HCDB has made noteworthy progress. Tangradi, I don't believe, falls into that category.


Some would argue that he can't make progress in the Press Box. I would argue that he can't play on this team, so he sits because he can't be waived to WBS. When we need his spot to provide an able-bodied replacement for injuries, he has to be sent down. If we lose him on waivers so be it. There is no way he brings a pick in return.

If these posters do not believe that we could get a draft pick for Kennedy they are nuts.


There won't be a time where they need his roster spot for injury replacement because they'll use him and Jeffrey before calling up anyone else.

Even when Niskanen returns, Reese will simply be sent back to WBS. Since he's already cleared waivers this season, he's exempt until he plays 10 NHL games or is on an NHL roster for 30 days.


That's not true necessarily, because if they need a forward because of multiple injuries I don't see them as plugging him back in for any significant stretch/role. I guess it will depend on the roles affected by the injuries, but at this point I believe they know he is simply a body.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:12 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I don't agree with the turn of events in the last half dozen posts in this thread. The difference between Kennedy and, previously, Malone is obvious to me. And I'm not even that much of a Tangradi hater. I endorsed him getting a shot going into the season and through its early stages. It's not looking so hot. Circumstances apply, but I didn't see noteworthy progress in his short time. Other players have made noteworthy progress in a short time: Martin, Kennedy, Sutter, Glass, etc. even HCDB has made noteworthy progress. Tangradi, I don't believe, falls into that category.


Some would argue that he can't make progress in the Press Box. I would argue that he can't play on this team, so he sits because he can't be waived to WBS. When we need his spot to provide an able-bodied replacement for injuries, he has to be sent down. If we lose him on waivers so be it. There is no way he brings a pick in return.

If these posters do not believe that we could get a draft pick for Kennedy they are nuts.


There won't be a time where they need his roster spot for injury replacement because they'll use him and Jeffrey before calling up anyone else.

Even when Niskanen returns, Reese will simply be sent back to WBS. Since he's already cleared waivers this season, he's exempt until he plays 10 NHL games or is on an NHL roster for 30 days.


That's not true necessarily, because if they need a forward because of multiple injuries I don't see them as plugging him back in for any significant stretch/role. I guess it will depend on the roles affected by the injuries, but at this point I believe they know he is simply a body.


The thing is, Tangradi is still better than most of the options in WBS. He's still 6th on the team in scoring, and still has the most PP goals on the team (Kolarik has more, but only 1 since being traded to WBS). They can certainly give Bennett a shot but outside of him they've got a bunch of career AHLers.

Kolarik, Holzapfel, Smith, and Thompson (the other 4 guys ahead of Tangradi in WBS scoring) have combined for 3G 4A in 29 NHL games played over the span of 21 pro seasons. Kolarik seems to have left his game back in Connecticut, too. He's put up a whopping 2G 0A in 5 games since being traded to WBS after recording 16G 19A in 41 games with the Whale.

I'm not advocating for Tangradi to be put back in the lineup, because Boychuk's speed is a better fit for Bylsma's system than Tangradi's size is. They just don't have the luxury of being able to dump him or to call up a bunch of guys to sub in ahead of him due to lack of forward depth.


On a bit of a tangent, but I'll still criticize HCDB for not utilizing Tangradi on the PP - even if it was only with the 2nd unit. 6/10 of his goals this season game on the PP this season. IIRC, a high percentage of his goals last season also came on the PP. If nothing else, Tangradi has proven he's a PP producer in the AHL.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,137
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:17 pm

2 G in 5 games = .40 GPG

16 G in 41 games = .39 GPG

I think it's a stretch to say Kolarik's "left his game in Connecticut", especially with such a small sample size of 5 games.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,716
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 pm

A solid pro at the AHL level. There's no shame in that. Hopefully he gets a shot with another organization, although the results will probably be the same.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,258
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: your back yard

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 pm

pugilist13 wrote:A solid pro at the AHL level. There's no shame in that. Hopefully he gets a shot with another organization, although the results will probably be the same.


I can give him this. You're right, no shame in that. My biggest issues around him were more about the blind hope that so many threw into him because at 19 someone said he could be a power forward.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby JS© on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:06 am

pugilist13 wrote:A solid pro at the AHL level. There's no shame in that. Hopefully he gets a shot with another organization, although the results will probably be the same.


that's all I think he'll amount to. As somebody else called him, a AAAA player: somebody who can excel in the AHL but for whatever reason can't put it together in the NHL. It actually a position that a lot of players would be happy with. That being said, maybe there's a chance he eventually finds his game at the NHL level. I just don't think it will be in Pittsburgh.

Another redeeming quality of his is that he knows a lot about the menu at the Cheesecake Factory. I guess that's good, right?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,161
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby champeen on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:28 am

Under his current contract, 1 full season in the NHL would be worth 11 seasons in the A, money-wise. For his sake, I'd like to see him traded to a team that he might be able to contribute to. The financial security he'd have with even 2 years would allow him to play out his career as an solid AHL guy and depth-call up and not be broke at 40.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:29 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby KG on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:43 am

He'll get traded for Clarke MacArthur at the deadline this year?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Reedeeming qualities about Tangradi...

Postby GreenBlood10 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:59 am

Did anybody mention his flowing locks.....

Still inferior to Neal's
GreenBlood10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: York County, PA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

e-mail