I'll be at the game tonight

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: I'll be at the game tonight

Postby Shakes on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Rocco wrote:If you could get a solid "Not Our Rival" chant going tonight it would make me very happy. Use this as an example:

Co-sign.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Hope it's not but it feels like a let down game; the struggling caps against a rival that is playing fantastic hockey.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Azkar on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:16 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Hope it's not but it feels like a let down game; the struggling caps against a rival that is playing fantastic hockey.

Not our rivals :D :wink: :lol:
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Hope it's not but it feels like a let down game; the struggling caps against a rival that is playing fantastic hockey.

The Caps are playing Tampa tonight?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Actually, in a tweet from the Mario Lemieux Foundation today about the game, the Caps were called "rivals".

:scared:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:14 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Actually, in a tweet from the Mario Lemieux Foundation today about the game, the Caps were called "rivals".

:scared:

Whoever is tweeting for the MLF must have just started watching hockey in 2006.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm

What's the requisite time for a rivalry, according to the Rocco-meter?

Spoiler:
The only team I'll ever consider a rival is the Flyers. I suppose some of the grey beards might say the Blues?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Not our rivals:

1. Hey, team that is geographically close and with whom we share a contentious history, we're about to beat you.

2. We know this matters to you. You wanted it bad.

3. It doesn't matter to us. We don't even consider you our main opponent. We're just casually beating you into the ground, barely noticing you, and tomorrow, we won't remember the final score while you sit crushed, turning over this loss in your mind. You are pathetic.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Caps fans consider the Pens to be their Most Hated Rival, which is just funny because for the Pens that will always be the Flyers, and I'm not sure the Caps are bigger rivals than the Rangers and Devils. Fans older than me probably remember 1975 and hate the Isles more. I suppose they are a rival in the sense they're in the same conference, but between the fact they're in separate divisions, the existence of other teams who are more hated and the fact the Pens routinely drop-kick the Caps in the playoffs they're not THE rival.

The Pens/Caps and Duke/Maryland paralells are striking. MD hates Duke and considers it a fierce rivalry, but even when MD was really good they were never #1 on Duke's list. That was always UNC, and Duke fans actually from North Carolina and not New Jersey would put NC State #2. That's why the "not our rivals" chant is such a dig, and why I might die of elation if I could ever get Pens fans to break it out. (I tried getting the chant going in 2008 when I was at a game in DC; didn't take.) Pens games are their Cup Finals; they don't mean nearly as much to Pens fans. It's not really a time thing. As long as the Flyers exist, they'll be the top rival. Capitals fans would be better off finding someone else to annoy
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Shakes wrote:Not our rivals:

1. Hey, team that is geographically close and with whom we share a contentious history, we're about to beat you.

2. We know this matters to you. You wanted it bad.

3. It doesn't matter to us. We don't even consider you our main opponent. We're just casually beating you into the ground, barely noticing you, and tomorrow, we won't remember the final score while you sit crushed, turning over this loss in your mind. You are pathetic.

This was the Flyers' attitude about the Pens for like 15 years until @ 1990.

Spectrum Jinx.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ziggo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 am

At least, I picked him for my fantasy team !!
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins