Boychuk vs Jeffrey: who should play

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Boychuk vs Jeffrey: who should play

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:28 am

--------------H,W GP G A P +\- PIM Sh Hits TOI
Tangradi 6-4,225 5 0 0 0 +2 0 4 6 8:32
Boychuk 5-10,185 5 0 0 0 0 2 5 6 11:46

Tangradi only spent 2 games on Malkin's line, and Crosby and Malkin were shaking off the rust the first 5/6 games. Does Tangradi deserve another shot since he brings size? Boychuk has looked good but he loses board battles easily.
Discuss...
Last edited by Steve Dave on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Tangradi vs Boychuk : There can only be one

Postby Beveridge on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 am

Speed kills or in this case, lack there of.

/end discussion?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 am

Yeah, Boychuk is racking up the points on a line with a 50 goal scorer/MVP and 40 goal scorer.
/end discussion
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 am

I guess the Kings should have had Chris Conner last season instead of Dwight King, they could have used Conner's speed over King's size in the playoffs.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:38 am

It sounds like you've already made up your mind.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 am

You just made a great argument on why stats don't matter with the mvp/50 goal scorer and a 40 goal scorer on that line

Boychuk has had more quality chances in 4 games than Tangradi has had in 40+ he's been with the pens. Are they going in, no? But on that line, he has done more.

I honestly would like to see him with Sid a few games. I think he would work better like Steve Sullivan seemed to work better with Sid for a few games than when he was paired with Neal and Malkin.

People get to caught up on the stat line with this team. Last time I checked, we don't have a ton of issues getting goals. We need players to do their job and sometimes that job isn't scoring.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 am

Beveridge wrote:You just made a great argument on why stats don't matter with the mvp/50 goal scorer and a 40 goal scorer on that line

Boychuk has had more quality chances in 4 games than Tangradi has had in 40+ he's been with the pens. Are they going in, no? But on that line, he has done more.

I honestly would like to see him with Sid a few games. I think he would work better like Steve Sullivan seemed to work better with Sid for a few games than when he was paired with Neal and Malkin.

People get to caught up on the stat line with this team. Last time I checked, we don't have a ton of issues getting goals. We need players to do their job and sometimes that job isn't scoring.

I agree, but the argument against Tangradi was he wasn't producing numbers. Do you think that Boychuk's hits are going to wear down opposing teams D in a 7 game series? At least Tangradi can bring that element. Cooke is a shell of his former self, Rupp was let go, Kunitz is getting older and may not be able to bring the same intensity he has in previous playoffs. You are right, the Pens don't have a problem scoring goals, but as we saw last year, players like Sullivan get pushed around come playoffs. I think both Tangradi and Boychuk would do better with Crosby.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 am

If it ain't broke...don't fix it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 am

The one thing i really liked about Boychuk is he always gets the puck to Malkin in the offensive zone, a good quality when playing with Geno. He has shown the willingness to goto the net. But it think it would be wise for Shero to keep a look out for a better option.

Tangradi i don't see enough offensive instinks in playing with Malkin. Tangradi seems to have trouble reading off Geno, he knows goto the net to score goals and fight along the boards. But i havn't seen chemistry with Geno or Neal. He plays his game on their line, when playing with Geno you have to let him dictate the play. Still think Tangradi can be a servicable NHLer, just not on this team or on one of our top 2 lines. Our top 2 lines needs skaters.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 am

Steve Dave wrote:I agree, but the argument against Tangradi was he wasn't producing numbers. Do you think that Boychuk's hits are going to wear down opposing teams D in a 7 game series? At least Tangradi can bring that element.

I don't believe Tangradi can bring that element. That's one of the many problems with his game. He's too slow, he can't score, and he doesn't use his size effectively. According to the stats you posted, the smurf Boychuk has as many hits as Tangradi. That's pretty embarrassing.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:23 am

Steve Dave wrote:I guess the Kings should have had Chris Conner last season instead of Dwight King, they could have used Conner's speed over King's size in the playoffs.

Dwight King was also on the 4th line not the 2nd.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:25 am

Steve Dave wrote:I agree, but the argument against Tangradi was he wasn't producing numbers. Do you think that Boychuk's hits are going to wear down opposing teams D in a 7 game series? At least Tangradi can bring that element. Cooke is a shell of his former self, Rupp was let go, Kunitz is getting older and may not be able to bring the same intensity he has in previous playoffs. You are right, the Pens don't have a problem scoring goals, but as we saw last year, players like Sullivan get pushed around come playoffs. I think both Tangradi and Boychuk would do better with Crosby.

So, Tangradi couldn't wear down anyone when he's not using the body. He's a pansy on the ice. He doesn't fit our system where Boychuk does.

You use stats and say the numbers are the same, Tangradi also has been in the system for 2 years where Boychuk has been for a grand total of 5 games.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 am

Yeah, I think other teams have to respect Boychuk's speed, even when he isn't directly contributing points, which he will.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:33 am

This does bring up a good point though. I, for one, could stand to see our bottom-6 get a little bigger.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 am

sil wrote:This does bring up a good point though. I, for one, could stand to see our bottom-6 get a little bigger.

Bigger, or at least tougher. Cookie and Adams are looking like 10 year vets out there...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby no name on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, I think other teams have to respect Boychuk's speed, even when he isn't directly contributing points, which he will.

Agreed, speed can open up lanes or spread out the other teams D. Give Geno a little more space and time and he can work wonders.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 am

The frustrating thing is that Tangradi has the size but nothing else. Boychuk appears to have speed but hasn't shown much else. Jeffrey has the skill but isn't fast or physical enough to open up much space.

Somebody will be acquired for that line very shortly. But in the meantime, go with Boychuk at least for a few more games because Geno and Neal are producing as of late. Also, never disrupt things during a winning streak. In other words, if Boychuk goes pointless the rest of the way and the Pens win the Cup, fine by me.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 am

The line has been going since boychck joined it. Not hard to figure out why it might not have been working with 2 men on the attack, then 2 defensemen, then another player trying to get out of the defensive zone.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:The line has been going since boychck joined it. Not hard to figure out why it might not have been working with 2 men on the attack, then 2 defensemen, then another player trying to get out of the defensive zone.

Absolutely. Boychuk is at least putting himself in the right position on the ice to get points. If he can do so with any type of consistency, he has at least a chance at sticking on that line.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:10 am

sil wrote:This does bring up a good point though. I, for one, could stand to see our bottom-6 get a little bigger.

I'd like to see some youth coming in on the wings. Can't count on Kunitz (33), Dupuis (33), and Cooke (34) to play in the top-9 forever. Not to mention the oldest guy on the team - 35-year-old Craig Adams.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 am

I think his role - not necessarily his game - reminds me of another 5'10" 185 lb. forward for the Penguins.

Spoiler:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 am

Tangradi doesn't fit the system. End of the line for him there. Bylsma won't get fired in this short season, so time to send Tangradi and hopefully Dylan Reese up to Toronto for Kulemin. Is that enough to get it done?

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Kulemin Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Boychuk
Glass Vitale Adams/Jeffrey

Kennedy?

Please, give me some thoughts...why don't we keep Boychuk and put him on the 3rd line beside Sutter? Does anyone else think Boychuk could be an upgrade over TK? Thanks in advance. <3
Last edited by Nizzy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:52 am

I just wanted some discussion on this topic from knowledgable posters in here. I think Tangradi can be at least a serviceable 3rd/4th liner in this league. I also like Boychuk's speed and play thus far. I do think Shero will find a more permanent solution for the top 6 however.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:54 am

Nizzy wrote:Tangradi doesn't fit the system. End of the line for him there. Bylsma won't get fired in this short season, so time to send Tangradi and hopefully Dylan Reese up to Toronto for Kulemin. Is that enough to get it done?

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Kulemin Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Boychuk
Glass Vitale Adams/Jeffrey

Kennedy?

Please, give me some thoughts...why don't we keep Boychuk and put him on the 3rd line beside Sutter? Does anyone else think Boychuk could be an upgrade over TK? Thanks in advance. <3

Wait, now HCDB is the one holding Tangradi back?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:54 am

Steve Dave wrote:I guess the Kings should have had Chris Conner last season instead of Dwight King, they could have used Conner's speed over King's size in the playoffs.

does that affect the price of tea in china?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins