Game 11 vs Crapitals - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 11 vs Crapitals - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby slappybrown on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Azkar wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I am posting in this "Thoughts from the Morning After" thread because it presently has 20 posts to 17 in the other, and I only post in wildly popular threads.

Azkar how was your date will lli?

you clearly didn't read this thread.

I did, I saw your post. But it was very short.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Azkar wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I am posting in this "Thoughts from the Morning After" thread because it presently has 20 posts to 17 in the other, and I only post in wildly popular threads.

I want an detailed review of you evening an interaction, not just "is cool" :D
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

DelPen wrote:I agree that the ref shouldn't have blown it dead for Fleury loosing his helmet but what the hell is the point of the rule then when you won't blow the whistle the only time the goalie is actually in danger? Should be treated just like the net coming off, if it's intentional then it's delay of game, otherwise blow the whistle.

But they should have waived it off due to the interference, not a penalty but Fleury falls because a cap is impeding his progress.

I think this is the more frustrating angle of that play.

I wasn't the only one that didn't know the nuance of the mask rule before last night - I had been under the impression it was an auto-whistle when goalie mask came off. Did notice the rule is silent on what to do when no one has possession, which was the case when the puck was sitting there two seconds after the mask came off before the Cap tapped it in.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Lesky wrote:
Azkar wrote:

Right, this is what I was getting at.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 pm

I think an argument could be made that Martin is the pens MVP so far this season.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:07 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Biggest Martin hater here... and he has played outstanding. really and honestly... he is a whole different player so far this year.

martin played at this level last year for about 6-8 weeks. it's not unprecedented. the question is if he can keep it up.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 pm

In the replay they showed it was Orpik's stick that started the entire mask coming off thing and probably also caused Fleury to freak out and drop like a sack of taters. I am surprised the ref didn't call goalie interference I can only imagine how hard it is to keep track of sticks and bodies around the goal while also trying to track the puck.

Speaking of the Refs Neal did a good job of buying that interference call. I also loved Bortuzzo and Ovie getting matching penalties I'll take that all day 5/6 D man for their best player.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:18 pm

PensHckyFan79 wrote:In the replay they showed it was Orpik's stick that started the entire mask coming off thing and probably also caused Fleury to freak out and drop like a sack of taters. I am surprised the ref didn't call goalie interference I can only imagine how hard it is to keep track of sticks and bodies around the goal while also trying to track the puck.

Speaking of the Refs Neal did a good job of buying that interference call. I also loved Bortuzzo and Ovie getting matching penalties I'll take that all day 5/6 D man for their best player.

it was a good job by neal, but the way alzner was whining about it was pitiful. he looked embarrassed for himself.

i don't have stats to support this, but orpik abuses his own goalie more than any player in the history of organized hockey.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 pm

shmenguin wrote:
PensHckyFan79 wrote:In the replay they showed it was Orpik's stick that started the entire mask coming off thing and probably also caused Fleury to freak out and drop like a sack of taters. I am surprised the ref didn't call goalie interference I can only imagine how hard it is to keep track of sticks and bodies around the goal while also trying to track the puck.

it was a good job by neal, but the way alzner was whining about it was pitiful. he looked embarrassed for himself.

i don't have stats to support this, but orpik abuses his own goalie more than any player in the history of organized hockey.

meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Azkar on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Lesky wrote:
Azkar wrote:

Well, we met at the seats. We sat in the end where all 7 goals happened which was good for us.

Then we went to get burgatory as I had never had it before. We saw Bob Grove. We missed the warm up skate because we were eating but were back in plenty of time to catch the drop of the puck.

Lli won rivers roulette, but could not go as it was a school night.

We *smurfette*ed about the interference call on fluery. They did not do a good job of showing the replay in the arena.

She told me about her trip to Vancouver and how she yelled at a Vancouver fan for asking "How can pens fans like Matt Cooke?"

We talked about how Rock n Roll part 2 is back.

After the game, we watched Potash interview Sid.

We took the less crowded stairway to avoid the lines.

Then I walked to steel plaza and got on the T.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:38 pm

shmenguin wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Biggest Martin hater here... and he has played outstanding. really and honestly... he is a whole different player so far this year.

martin played at this level last year for about 6-8 weeks. it's not unprecedented. the question is if he can keep it up.

I watched every game last season, and never saw him at this level in a penguins uniform. He is even laying down some slashes and cross checks... all new for him this season.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Rylan wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Yes, I think Martin has been outstanding.

Same. He's leading the team in ice time and has been rock solid in doing so.

I think people are allowing last year to factor into their opinion of him this year. He has played exceptionally well and is a significant reason the Pens are 8-3-0

I haven't seen any Martin bashing in my reads. Regardless it wouldn't surprise me from some of the lack of hockey knowledge I do read.

Martin has been outstanding. He is worth every penny. I just saw that the Flyers gave Timmo another year at $6M. Watching him play, I don't see it as comparitive value to Martin's. Kimmo is worn out.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 pm

MarioLives wrote:Would you keep Martin on the 1st unit PP? He ran it pretty well. Letang struggles a bit at that role. Pretty much the only thing he struggles at.

I still saw alot of turnovers, am I off base with that?

I think the Pens were great with Puck management last night. I liked that we consistently got the puck in deep, cycled more than usual and generally played a patient game. I didn't see too many turnovers. There were a few chances Ovechkin got off of loose pucks in the neutral zone, but the other team gets paid too. I general they were turnovers that the Caps created, not dumb passes handed to the opposition.

Martin = new man
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:28 pm

-That goalie mask rule reads the way it does because if it didn't, you'd have goalies intentionally putting on their masks loose, so as to "lose" it when the kitchen gets hot, and get the play stopped.

MAF flopped on that one. There was no interference from a Cap. And even if there was incidental contact, it wasn't going to be called when the goalie is just out of his blue paint.

- Martin looks a lot more like the solid all-around D the Pens thought they were getting when they picked him up.

-Reese looked fine stepping in.

-Ovechkin seemed to create and get some real great chances last nite. Wasn't potting them though, and it's become the norm rather than the exception. Maybe he can solidify a spot on the 4th line checkers? He still likes to hit, even if it's usually from 1 foot off the ice. Hey, if Kronwall can get away with it and still make "Hits of the Week" highlights, so can Ovie.

-Had to laugh at Oates hooking Neuvirth after 2. Like that was going to solve anything. Yeah, let's put the guy that got blasted by the Pens on Sunday back in there. I bet Fat Teddy would give away his breakfast burger to get Vokoun back.

-Once again the Pens did a solid job moving the puck around their point-men in the offensive zone. Seeming to put some real focus on going high against that Caps team defence (which several times you saw 4 Caps down low in the defensive zone). Good job molding your game to exploit a weakness in your opponent.

-PP looked fantastic with the puck movement. Even the Neal goal, which was really only Kunitz --> Neal. But having Neal dart across the slot from the LW goal line with such speed, never gave the Caps a chance to stop it. Even though Malkin's goal was laserlike precision, I thought the Pens got lucky. Him being a left hand shot, that pass doesn't really put him in a great spot for one-timer, which is why I don't care for that play. But in this case, it's covered by world class talent hiding it.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 pm

we all win rivers roulette.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm

we all win rivers roulette.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

A tremendous stat from last night: in Ovechkin's last 100 games, he has 1 three point game. In his last 100, Crosby has 27.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm

27% of the time.

What a slacker.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Geezer on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 pm

:)
Gaucho wrote:Yes, I think Martin has been outstanding.

I think he feels the same about your performance. That depends if you keep that candle booze thing squared away since the Pens are on a roll.
:)
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:33 pm

i would also like to add this was the first game that i saw the penguins giving as much stick work, hits, overall in your 'face-ness' to OV as the caps give to Sid and Geno. For some reason, it seemed like the pens would shy away from those things in the past with OV, but last night was a different story. It started with Engo and his pre-hit with OV before going to the boards to retrieve a puck. Then there was Big Burt with the late hit behind the net (penalty), and there was Glass with at least 5 hacks along the boards against OV when OV was running the PP. Honestly, that is the crap Sid deals with all the time and I can not remember seeing the pens ever engage in that kind of stuff before last night. I actually really liked it, even with the penalty.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I watched every game last season, and never saw him at this level in a penguins uniform. He is even laying down some slashes and cross checks... all new for him this season.

I think if he continues to play this effectively we have to factor Martin's contract into next season. He and Orpik are both flourishing paired together, I pray for no more injuries!

All the call-ups are playing great, Despres continues to develop and has a 'swagger' somewhat like Letang, I love that pairing (come back Kris!). IMO Engelland is secure in his #7 spot and some posters under rate him, he brings far more than just his fists.

Pens next 10/11 games are not upper echelon teams, hopefully they don't get into any bad habbits.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:43 pm

sil wrote:I think an argument could be made that Martin is the pens MVP so far this season.

In the sense that Sid, Geno, and Neal have been great at times, inconsistent at others...and both goalies deserve equal credit...I think that's a fair case to make.

People were ready to write the guy off completely (me included), and he has responded by not only improving his play, but by taking on more minutes and putting up more points. He even looks good on the power play. Certainly a candidate for comeback player of the year. This isn't a fluke, he played like this for the Devils. He's a darn good hockey player, albeit not a flashy one.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:06 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:i would also like to add this was the first game that i saw the penguins giving as much stick work, hits, overall in your 'face-ness' to OV as the caps give to Sid and Geno. For some reason, it seemed like the pens would shy away from those things in the past with OV, but last night was a different story. It started with Engo and his pre-hit with OV before going to the boards to retrieve a puck. Then there was Big Burt with the late hit behind the net (penalty), and there was Glass with at least 5 hacks along the boards against OV when OV was running the PP. Honestly, that is the crap Sid deals with all the time and I can not remember seeing the pens ever engage in that kind of stuff before last night. I actually really liked it, even with the penalty.

That's because the Penguins rarely had anyone (aside from Orpik) who could actually go toe-to-toe with Ovechkin. The guy use to be (sad) one of the physically strongest players in the league when you consider his explosiveness, balance, skating, all of that. I'd be afraid to get in his face too. I know we rag on the guy because his head doesn't always seem to be on straight, but he was a crazy good talent and it's sad for the fans and the league that he's regressed so much as a dynamic player. Dude needs a change of scenery, very few can handle all of the constant pressure players like him have on their shoulders.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Azkar wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Azkar wrote:

Well, we met at the seats. We sat in the end where all 7 goals happened which was good for us.

Then we went to get burgatory as I had never had it before. We saw Bob Grove. We missed the warm up skate because we were eating but were back in plenty of time to catch the drop of the puck.

Lli won rivers roulette, but could not go as it was a school night.

We *smurfette*ed about the interference call on fluery. They did not do a good job of showing the replay in the arena.

She told me about her trip to Vancouver and how she yelled at a Vancouver fan for asking "How can pens fans like Matt Cooke?"

We talked about how Rock n Roll part 2 is back.

After the game, we watched Potash interview Sid.

We took the less crowded stairway to avoid the lines.

Then I walked to steel plaza and got on the T.

Excellent recap. But you forgot...

Kovy came over and introduced himself to Azkar, and complained to us the ear muff give aways were too small for his fat head (or something to that effect... :lol:)

We laughed at TT being traded to the Islanders
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Does Adam Oates' face remind anyone else of the Punisher's logo?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins