How much longer for Boychuk?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How much longer for Boychuk?

Postby The Current One on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:32 am

Speed? Yes. Skills? Yes. Results? No. The fact that he hasn't registered a point on Malkin's line tells me that this experiment needs to be ended immediately. The effort is there, but in the end, it's all about the results. Time for Shero to find a replacement, and sooner rather than later. Enough with these marginal NHL'ers - Jeffrey, Tangradi, Boychuk, etc.
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: How much longer for Boychuk?

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:40 am

I'd say that he deserves more of a shot.
Tangradi is such a loser that people seem to have forgotten that it can take a while for an actual prospect to adjust. Do I expect much from him? Probably not, but it's worth finding out.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:41 am

Shero will find a replacement for Boychuk on or before the deadline this year. Either a rental like MacArthur or someone under contract like Glencross...

I also think he will try very hard for Iginla too....

IMO....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:41 am

What's their record with Boychuk in the lineup? Is Boychuck's lack of production holding back the rest of the Malkin line? Until one of these questions is negatively effected by him being in the line up, then you are not going to see a change. They don't have an internal option, neither Jeffrey nor Tangradi are the answer. Bennett isn't ready yet.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 am

Well to be fair to him, the only time Malkin or Neal have scored an even-strength point in the 5 games Boychuk has been up have been the 2 or 3 goals Malkin assisted on when he was on a line with other people, mainly Crosby/Kunitz, and mostly PP time.

While an argument could be made that you'd like to see him score goals, it's kind of hard to collect assists when Neal and Malkin haven't done much of anything outside of the PP lately.

*Edit*

Also, why the hurry to push him out? He's an asset acquired for nothing that could be a good possible cheap replacement on lower lines next season should we lose any of our cast.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:32 am

hes fine, he was just thrown in with no practice at all. He has been good and hes very close to breaking out. Hes missed a few chances but even though he hasnt scored he still is much better than anyone else whos tried to be on that line. He could easily have 3-5 goals but we will see i guess but i am not giving up on him.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nastystang05 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:33 am

He's has been the only other player besides kunitz to look competent out there. Look how long it took Neal to click with Malkin. He has not caused any problems on the line. Malkin and Neal are producing and its just a matter of time before Boychuck starts as well. You are jumping the gun on Boychuck.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:45 am

Who do u replace him with? When the Pens got him off of waivers and put him immediately on the 2nd line, it sort of screams that the organization doesn't think they have any other forwards who could fill in on Malkin's line this season.

Boychuk is OK as a stop-gap measure. I wouldn't want to see him out there in the playoffs, but there aren't any real viable alternatives right now. I'm sure RS will be actively seeking another forward closer to the trade deadline. For now, Boychuk isn't hurting the Pens at minimum, so no big deal.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 am

The better question is.......

How much longer till the next panic thread after a loss?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 am

Morrow called up, maybe something's brewing.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby champeen on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 am

nastystang05 wrote:Look how long it took Neal to click with Malkin.

This.
I'm not saying he's about to break out like Neal did, but if the speed, skill, and effort are there, you have to give him more time. Kunitz and Neal both went through lengthy stretches of low production early on, but in most peoples eyes they were 'doing the little things right' and 'it was only a matter of time.' Boychuck lacks the proven track record of those two coming in, but has shown some promise and isn't dead weight.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:18 pm

champeen wrote:
nastystang05 wrote:Look how long it took Neal to click with Malkin.

This.
I'm not saying he's about to break out like Neal did, but if the speed, skill, and effort are there, you have to give him more time. Kunitz and Neal both went through lengthy stretches of low production early on, but in most peoples eyes they were 'doing the little things right' and 'it was only a matter of time.' Boychuck lacks the proven track record of those two coming in, but has shown some promise and isn't dead weight.

Honestly, he seems to be snakebit a little right now. He has made all the plays and actually seems to work well with Neal and Malkin. There have been at least 3 times where he has either been robbed or just missed on pretty open nets. The fact that he has gotten himself into that position puts him light years ahead of both of the other options for the spot.

I mean, if someone is going to GIVE us a proven top six forward for a good price, I wouldn't NOT do it because of him being here, but at this point scoring is not an issue and his line is producing good chances.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:23 pm

The most troubling aspect of the Boychuk expirement is not that he hasn't registered a point, but that the whole line has yet to score in its 5 games together. And its not because Malkin and Neal are struggling. They're tearing it up on the PP, but that line is just not clicking right now.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:28 pm

He's not shown any skills that should cause one to say "nice!" - no idea where this is coming from. Aside from DJ, and it's not really better, no current better options.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby malkinshair on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:30 pm

pcm wrote:The most troubling aspect of the Boychuk expirement is not that he hasn't registered a point, but that the whole line has yet to score in its 5 games together. And its not because Malkin and Neal are struggling. They're tearing it up on the PP, but that line is just not clicking right now.

Meh...they've looked dangerous, getting some very good looks at the goal. Penalties mish-mashed the lines yesterday, but when we've been able to roll 4, they've been very noticeable in a good way. Boychuk's speed adds an element to that line that it can't have with anyone else. He also seems to think the game like a top 6 forward...unlike any of the Pen's other options. He's got some creativity to his game, which is nice to see.

Some people describe him as if he's the best looking person at the ugly person dance, but I see much more potential in his game than just a 'lesser of the two evils' option. We'll see how it goes, but I think that he's starting to understand Geno's game a little more (and vice-versa).
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:31 pm

In my estimation, 264 games is about fair.

That is the combined amount of games that Konstantin Koltsov and Rico Fata played for the Penguins while finishing on a combined total of 33 goals in that time.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Eismann wrote:He's not shown any skills that should cause one to say "nice!" - no idea where this is coming from. Aside from DJ, and it's not really better, no current better options.

He looks pretty comfortable with his linemates, and has had several moments where he has shown creativity and a decent wrist shot. Not trying to get into it, but I'm not sure what you are watching. His line has had a lot of pressure to when it rolls at even strength and they just haven't scored as a unit. Geno isn't finishing and both he and Neal have their points of late on the PP.

You could make that an indictment of Boychuk, but they continue to get chances and there will be points in his columns, because he could have 3 goals himself and his linemates will not go goal less at even strength for long.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:52 pm

The Current One wrote:Speed? Yes. Skills? Yes. Results? No. The fact that he hasn't registered a point on Malkin's line tells me that this experiment needs to be ended immediately. The effort is there, but in the end, it's all about the results. Time for Shero to find a replacement, and sooner rather than later. Enough with these marginal NHL'ers - Jeffrey, Tangradi, Boychuk, etc.

There is the big thing called a salary cap that prevents them from using anything but a marginal NHL until closer to the trade deadline. And I'm not sure what else your looking for there. I see a guy who hustles, uses his speed well, and has the instincts to get into scoring positions and make plays. He has shown me that he has the potential to mesh well with that line. Has he scored or gotten a point, no. But guess what, that line hasn't scored an even strength goal since Boychuk started playing for the Pens. Malkin has one PPG and Neal has 2 PPG since he arrived.

You also forget that this is a fairly young guy, who is coming into a new system. James Neal had 1 goal in 20 games when he was traded here. It takes time to get acclimated to Bylsma's system, and, as I said above, the Malkin line is not doing much as a whole at even strength right now.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:54 pm

He's done fine . It's difficult meshing with a superstar. He'll pop a couple soon. No complaints here. The kid has alot on his plate right now, plus he's probably thinking "when Geno gives the puck away in the neutral zone, i have to get back there"
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:00 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Eismann wrote:He's not shown any skills that should cause one to say "nice!" - no idea where this is coming from. Aside from DJ, and it's not really better, no current better options.

He looks pretty comfortable with his linemates, and has had several moments where he has shown creativity and a decent wrist shot. Not trying to get into it, but I'm not sure what you are watching. His line has had a lot of pressure to when it rolls at even strength and they just haven't scored as a unit. Geno isn't finishing and both he and Neal have their points of late on the PP.

You could make that an indictment of Boychuk, but they continue to get chances and there will be points in his columns, because he could have 3 goals himself and his linemates will not go goal less at even strength for long.

I'm watching him not do any noteworthy as of yet. Not saying he'll never amount to anything, which also acknowledges that from comfort could come results - and I'm hopeful of that. But for now, he's not in plays, he's not carrying the puck, or maintain any flow/possession, and he's been weak on the boards. Everybody has a decent wrist shot, that's table stakes. He needs to command more for me to like any kind of longer term presence on that line.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Eismann wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

I'm watching him not do any noteworthy as of yet. Not saying he'll never amount to anything, which also acknowledges that from comfort could come results - and I'm hopeful of that. But for now, he's not in plays, he's not carrying the puck, or maintain any flow/possession, and he's been weak on the boards. Everybody has a decent wrist shot, that's table stakes. He needs to command more for me to like any kind of longer term presence on that line.

I've seen some nice passes in offensive zone, changing the angle by slowing and opening up the ice. Far more chemistry than any of the others and the lack of points is more contributable to Malkin and Neal struggling than him dragging the line down. Either the points start or he is a nice stop-gap who will almost certainly have been upgraded by the deadline. What is there to panic about?!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:47 pm

He's still a big question mark, but he's better then the 2 fringe NHLers and the RW that doesn't know how to play on the left that they've tried there. Woo hoo?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Eismann wrote: he's not in plays, he's not carrying the puck, or maintain any flow/possession, and he's been weak on the boards. Everybody has a decent wrist shot, that's table stakes. He needs to command more for me to like any kind of longer term presence on that line.

I guess we are watching completely different games. I pretty much disagree with everything you said there. Just in the last few games he has had three or four give and gos with Geno on the rush that ended in shots. He is anything but weak on the boards. He is not deferring to his linemates in any way.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Desiato on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:50 pm

IMO, the classic way to recover a player like Boychuk is to start him on the 3rd/4th line with a focus on defense and allow him to earn his spot on the top lines. Maybe he turns into an effective role player like Cleary, or maybe he blossoms like Robert Lang. Hoping playing with Malkin and Neal is going to fix his shortcomings is a pretty big shot in the dark. Not to mention a lot of pressure to put on Boychuk.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IMFC on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 pm

I said it, I'm sticking to it - I could get a point in 5 games with Malk & Neal. I like him, so keep him, but get a pro for that that line.

Get. A. PRO. For. That. Line.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins