How much longer for Boychuk?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How much longer for Boychuk?

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Desiato wrote:IMO, the classic way to recover a player like Boychuk is to start him on the 3rd/4th line with a focus on defense and allow him to earn his spot on the top lines. Maybe he turns into an effective role player like Cleary, or maybe he blossoms like Robert Lang. Hoping playing with Malkin and Neal is going to fix his shortcomings is a pretty big shot in the dark. Not to mention a lot of pressure to put on Boychuk.

IMO he has looked far less fazed than the other 'options', far more confidence in making plays with Geno and Neal. The real question: is this the best he has to give or is there more upside yet to emerge?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby X-JR on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Boychuk will get his points. As a matter of fact, I would wager he will bypass ET's total NHL point total in the next dozen or so games. He is that close.
X-JR

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 pm

I think the kid was a great waiver wire pickup for this organization. He's got vision and creativity and a combativeness that should allow him to find a permanent job in the NHL. He's obviously still young and developing, which is just what the Pens need.

I just don't think he's a good fit for that line. Grit, defensive awareness, puck retrieval, and a willingess to play down low are the attributes that best complement 71 + 18. Malkin and Neal did much better with Kunitz than Sullivan. I think Jeffrey fits the bill and adds more to that line than Boychuk, who's skills (listed above) are redundant playing with Malkin and Neal. Jeffrey played great in his short stint there; and that line actually scored an ES goal when Jeffrey drove to the net and provided a screen for Malkin...something Boychuk doesnt do.

Ideally, I'd like to see Boychuk take Kennedy's spot on the 3rd line. Let him develop there into a bonafide NHL'er, learn the system, and give that line a bit more offensive awareness and some potential scoring depth.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 pm

I think the kid was a great waiver wire pickup for this organization. He's got vision and creativity and a combativeness that should allow him to find a permanent job in the NHL. He's obviously still young and developing, which is just what the Pens need.

I just don't think he's a good fit for that line. Grit, defensive awareness, puck retrieval, and a willingess to play down low are the attributes that best complement 71 + 18. Malkin and Neal did much better with Kunitz than Sullivan. I think Jeffrey fits the bill and adds more to that line than Boychuk, who's skills (listed above) are redundant playing with Malkin and Neal. Jeffrey played great in his short stint there; and that line actually scored an ES goal when Jeffrey drove to the net and provided a screen for Malkin...something Boychuk doesnt do.

Ideally, I'd like to see Boychuk take Kennedy's spot on the 3rd line. Let him develop there into a bonafide NHL'er, learn the system, and give that line a bit more offensive awareness and some potential scoring depth.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:05 pm

I don't mind Boychuk. I'd give him... oh, until the deadline.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jopaz on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Boychuk is not a major concern right now. IMO, the current issues are:
1) Malkin's turnovers and frustration level
2) Defensemen injuries starting to add up
3) Has anyone seen Tyler Kennedy lately?
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:09 pm

I thought TK has been pretty much his usual self
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Gaucho wrote:I thought TK has been pretty much his usual self

He seems unchangable by time; in either direction.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby ILikeTurtles on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:18 pm

I just don't understand how HCDB gives a product of the system, Jeffrey, a two game stint on that line, and then has Boychuk on it for 5 games with the same results. Jeffrey is has more ppg than Boychuk and IMO looked better than Boychuk has. He is just too small to play on that line, Jeffrey at least has some grit to him and doesn't fall all over the ice.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Wonder if Tangradi is secretly hoping Boychuk sucks?
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:34 pm

I wonder if there's a correlation between the people who are complaining about Boychuk and the people who pick him in the Pick-A-Pen :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Desiato wrote:IMO, the classic way to recover a player like Boychuk is to start him on the 3rd/4th line with a focus on defense and allow him to earn his spot on the top lines. Maybe he turns into an effective role player like Cleary, or maybe he blossoms like Robert Lang. Hoping playing with Malkin and Neal is going to fix his shortcomings is a pretty big shot in the dark. Not to mention a lot of pressure to put on Boychuk.

:thumb: Just don't tell this to the Tangradi or Jeffrey supporters who think its the players birthright to start their career on the top 2 lines.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Guess it's impossible to simply root for all three guys to become the best players they can be.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

The Current One wrote:Speed? Yes. Skills? Yes. Results? No. The fact that he hasn't registered a point on Malkin's line tells me that this experiment needs to be ended immediately. The effort is there, but in the end, it's all about the results. Time for Shero to find a replacement, and sooner rather than later. Enough with these marginal NHL'ers - Jeffrey, Tangradi, Boychuk, etc.

If it helps draw a reasonable baseline... James Neal only has 3 ES goals, all assisted by Malkin, 2 of which came on the faceoff play, IIRC. Geno's other ES assists were all in transition; Letang, Sutter, and Kunitz goals.

As long as he doesn't turn the puck over or lose 50/50's, I think he keeps getting shots.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Eismann on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:58 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Eismann wrote: he's not in plays, he's not carrying the puck, or maintain any flow/possession, and he's been weak on the boards. Everybody has a decent wrist shot, that's table stakes. He needs to command more for me to like any kind of longer term presence on that line.

I guess we are watching completely different games. I pretty much disagree with everything you said there. Just in the last few games he has had three or four give and gos with Geno on the rush that ended in shots. He is anything but weak on the boards. He is not deferring to his linemates in any way.

I guess so, because I disagree with almost everything you said, lol. Is there any public buzz (writers, radio, etc.) about him? A scattered give-n-go is nothing. I think he's everything weak on the boards, not having him seen win a battle yet. I agree that he's not deferring to linemates, so that's good. And like I said, I hope any jelling with linemates comes with time.

But until then, he's Zach Boychuk, you're-up-next utility man.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jfu21 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:14 pm

I'd give him 10 more games to see if he can produce. He's been getting chances, something you can't say about ET. I think it would take more than a few games to adjust to a completely new system and build chemistry with two elite players. I wouldn't be surprised if you see him in the stat sheet within the next two games.
Jfu21
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The U on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:25 pm

I think Jeffrey gets a look on line 3 in place of Kennedy before he gets a look in place of Boychuk.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Eismann wrote:I guess so, because I disagree with almost everything you said, lol. Is there any public buzz (writers, radio, etc.) about him? A scattered give-n-go is nothing. I think he's everything weak on the boards, not having him seen win a battle yet. I agree that he's not deferring to linemates, so that's good. And like I said, I hope any jelling with linemates comes with time.

Well, I guess it is just that I think his performance in all areas is better than the others who have auditioned. I do not agree that he is weak on the boards - and you seem to believe that a good wrist shot and being able to work give and go with Malkin is a given for all NHL players. To the latter point I guess I haven't seen it from the other guys who have played there this year. Also his wrister is above average which means that it is light years better than Tangradi's.

As for buzz, I mean I'm not all a twitter about him. I just think he has shown enough to theorize he might be able to be the unsung guy on that line. Very few lines have three superstars on them, and I think he has done the little things despite your view that he is weak on the walls.

In the end, we are both in the same mode with him. I have slightly more hope than you about him, but I don't think either of us is worried about what we gave up to try him there.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:17 pm

I really think Boychuck will come around and grow into that line, no he isn't the long term solution but good enough until the trade deadline.

But as for Shero and Bylsma, i think once the deadline comes a long term solution on Sid line needs to be explored. If you can add Kunitz back on Malkins line and find a top flight winger for Sid, problems solved. Granted i know its alot easier said than done and very well could never happen. The defence right now stands to get a upgrade befor the forwards.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Quotes from Boychuk's prospect page:

NHL Director of Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire
Strengths: "Zach is a skilled, see the ice type forward. He quarterbacks the power-play and might be the best two-step quickness guy in all of junior hockey. In two steps he is at top speed and he can hit the brakes and delay the play with the best of them as well. Zach is an all-around offensive player who sees the ice well and just a treat to watch."

Outlook: "The question is whether or not his average size is enough to get him through the rough periods and the checking. There are other players in the NHL who have beaten that rap, Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner are two great examples this year, there is no reason why he shouldn’t be a top offensive guy in the NHL."
Lethbridge head coach Mike Dyck

"Zach is a pure athlete, everything that we do whether it’s on or off the ice seems to come very easily to him. He’s got unbelievable athletic ability and because of that he’s a great skater, he handles the puck at a high speed, he really does everything at high speed and that’s what separates him from the average player . . . not too many guys can do what he does on a consistent basis."

FWIW, his favorite player is Teh SId
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby firepower on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Hmmm. I believe the same thing was being said about James Neal in this first year here. Not saying he'll be the next Neal, but a handful of games isn't enough.
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

What was said about James Neal? That he's too small?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:58 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Eismann wrote:I guess so, because I disagree with almost everything you said, lol. Is there any public buzz (writers, radio, etc.) about him? A scattered give-n-go is nothing. I think he's everything weak on the boards, not having him seen win a battle yet. I agree that he's not deferring to linemates, so that's good. And like I said, I hope any jelling with linemates comes with time.

Well, I guess it is just that I think his performance in all areas is better than the others who have auditioned. I do not agree that he is weak on the boards - and you seem to believe that a good wrist shot and being able to work give and go with Malkin is a given for all NHL players. To the latter point I guess I haven't seen it from the other guys who have played there this year. Also his wrister is above average which means that it is light years better than Tangradi's.

As for buzz, I mean I'm not all a twitter about him. I just think he has shown enough to theorize he might be able to be the unsung guy on that line. Very few lines have three superstars on them, and I think he has done the little things despite your view that he is weak on the walls.

In the end, we are both in the same mode with him. I have slightly more hope than you about him, but I don't think either of us is worried about what we gave up to try him there.

Yes, same mode. And, like when people have heated debates about the 4th-line winger, a little perspective is always refreshing: Sid, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz and Dupuis are 5 of the top 6. We're talking about adding salad toppings to the all-you-can-eat buffet that we already have in a salary cap league. Boychuk is at least keeping himself from sneezebombing the stir-fry station, so life isn't so bad in the aggregate.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Gaucho wrote:What was said about James Neal? That he's too small?

He couldn't score.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Tangradi, Glass, Kennedy, Jeffrey and Boychuk have all been tried with Geno and Neal. I don't understand how Cooke hasn't been given a shot. Everyone knows the type of players Malkin needs on his line, and Boychuk isn't it. Cooke is the best fit out of those options.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins