Official Game Day Thread: Penguins vs Devils 2/10/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Game Day Thread: Penguins vs Devils 2/10/13

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Tyler Kennedy is harder to find than Waldo.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Crosby's stache is dumb
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
GDR wrote:Tyler Kennedy is more invisible than Lennay Kekua.

Someone made a great post earlier about how the play of Armstrong and Talbot faded yet everyone remembers the great times. Kennedy and Adams come to mind as two regulars who are probably getting a pass on their play because of Cup championship memories.

The 4th line has been a no show basically all year. When you have third line all struggling to score as well, then when Crosby and Malkin's lines are held in check or even challenged things are going to be rough.

I think this team can no longer afford to have such limited 3rd and 4th line scoring chances. Sutter has gotten quite a few of his scoring chances jumping up lines.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 pm

npv708 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Random thoughts:

- Clarkson isn't that good of a player to be honest, but I guess he's going to get that "grass is always greener" following now that he's scored a couple of against us.

Yeah. I definitely have to disagree with you on this one. A lot.

Currently, he leads the Devils coming into this game with 13 points in 11 games. That would be 4th on the Pens behind Sid, Geno, and Kunitz. Last year, he had 46 points in 80 games.

Not to mention the intangibles. He hits. A lot and makes it count. He goes to the net and is smart with the puck.

Not much more you can ask from an undrafted forward...

He's definitely not smart with the puck. He's getting a bit better than what he used to be (useless toe drag that gains no space into a wrap-around...or Clark-around, as it was so named because he did it so often). He doesn't really have any hockey sense and he's an iffy skater, falls a lot too. Yeah, he hits, but it's not we don't have players that are capable hitters...all of the wingers we get are designed to be grinders/hitters/go-to-the-netters, just like they did in '09. Now, whether they can or can't do that any more or if the style of the team has gotten away from that is a matter for the courts. But Clarkson, ignoring the boxscore but watching him on the ice, isn't much better than our current core of players...

He's an upgrade on Kunitz? Also an undrafted forward in the same mold...I guess maybe slightly at this point in each of their careers, but not enough to be worth acquiring or paying for...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Devils know the Pens will continue to try and carry the puck in on the right side no matter what. There's always three guys waiting to converge on the one guy there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 pm

npv708 wrote:

- Clarkson isn't that good of a player to be honest, but I guess he's going to get that "grass is always greener" following now that he's scored a couple of against us.

Currently, he leads the Devils coming into this game with 13 points in 11 games. That would be 4th on the Pens behind Sid, Geno, and Kunitz. Last year, he had 46 points in 80 games.

Not to mention the intangibles. He hits. A lot and makes it count. He goes to the net and is smart with the puck.

Thanks for saving me from typing up this exact response...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Good shift by the 4th line...anytime you can force an ice, it's a good thing.

For crying out loud Bylsma, Jeffrey has created a couple scoring chances with scrubs on his line....GIVE HIM A FREAKIN' CHANCE ALREADY. It's not like everything else is working.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 pm

1 shot on goal in the 3rd thus far...big push...

Clarkson could play on my team any day. He actually scores his goals by standing in front of the net (novel idea). He plays hard, finishes his checks and scored 30 goals in a league that is not easy to score in....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
GDR wrote:Tyler Kennedy is more invisible than Lennay Kekua.

Someone made a great post earlier about how the play of Armstrong and Talbot faded yet everyone remembers the great times. Kennedy and Adams come to mind as two regulars who are probably getting a pass on their play because of Cup championship memories.

I think the LGP consensus is that Adams brings less than nothing to the table 5 on 5. I don't think our lineup is so stacked that we can afford to dress a guy that only does PK and nothing else.

Scary to think nobody in WBS has been able to steal his job. Skate, hit everything that moves, play PK. Should have half a dozen of those guys in your system. The next Talbot, Vitale, etc..
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Jeffrey and Boychuk both look decent tonight.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:48 pm

mikey287 wrote:
npv708 wrote:

He's definitely not smart with the puck. He's getting a bit better than what he used to be (useless toe drag that gains no space into a wrap-around...or Clark-around, as it was so named because he did it so often). He doesn't really have any hockey sense and he's an iffy skater, falls a lot too. Yeah, he hits, but it's not we don't have players that are capable hitters...all of the wingers we get are designed to be grinders/hitters/go-to-the-netters, just like they did in '09. Now, whether they can or can't do that any more or if the style of the team has gotten away from that is a matter for the courts. But Clarkson, ignoring the boxscore but watching him on the ice, isn't much better than our current core of players...

He's an upgrade on Kunitz? Also an undrafted forward in the same mold...I guess maybe slightly at this point in each of their careers, but not enough to be worth acquiring or paying for...

I wouldn't say an upgrade to Kunitz, but he's definitely something the Pens sorely lack the most in my opinion, which is a physical top-six forward (for Geno/Neal) that will go to the net and open up space.

What? You think you know hockey because you write for some two-bit blog that will let any hack write for them? - Not being serious, bro.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Good thing Malkin took his time to get back out of the zone.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:50 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Jeffrey and Boychuk both look decent tonight.

Agreed. I wish Vitale was dressed too, we need his spark.

How Craig Adams gets all these free passes from Byslma, yet Jeffrey doesn't get a chance is beyond me.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Clarkson is not a complete package. At all. But the guy has a nose for the net. He goes in straight lines, hits, and scores. Put him in a role where he can use those skills to succeed (as the Devils have done) and he scores 30. I'd take him alongside Crosby or Malkin any day of the week.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:51 pm

mikey287 wrote:
npv708 wrote:

I'd take a 30 goal scorer that will fight and lead the team in hits any day of the week. I'd take two actually.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:51 pm

pcm wrote:Clarkson is not a complete package. At all. But the guy has a nose for the net. He goes in straight lines, hits, and scores. Put him in a role where he can use those skills to succeed (as the Devils have done) and he scores 30. I'd take him alongside Crosby or Malkin any day of the week.

DB would put him on the 4th line with Adams or probably scratch him.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Maybe we can trade Kennedy and Tangradi for Clarkson... :o :wink:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm

The U wrote:I hope Vitale wasn't scratched for performance reasons.

I think he was scratched to get Jeffrey in the lineup so he doesn't go cold.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm

I'd rather play Jeffrey than Adams every time. Realistically, if he's not scoring, how many goals do you think he "saves"? 5? 6? No matter the number I'd wager that it's less than Jeffrey would score 5 on 5 in a full season.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm

KG wrote:Maybe we can trade Kennedy and Tangradi for Clarkson... :o :wink:

Overpayment.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Neal passes to Orpik in the offensive zone, like passing to a black hole.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Stone hands Dupuis.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DMcGrew on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm

**** **** **** **** a duck
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm

And there is Pascal's worst.....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Another fan job/bobble by Dupuis.

Please Ray, get him a winger and stop playing a 3rd line checker on his line.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins