Tyler Kennedy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Tyler Kennedy

Postby thepittman on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:55 am

Am I the only one that appreciates how hard he works nearly every night? I really think he is a valuable role player on this team. I dont know what some of you expect.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Tyler Kennedy

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:06 am

Good luck with this.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 am

I assume he will get a cursory raise and be back for year or two.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 am

If atleast 30-45% of his shots hit the net I'd be happy. He is a good role player and does his job. But he is not top 6 and should never leave the 3rd line.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:41 am

i love kennedy.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 am

Kennedy lives and dies as a puck chipper along the boards. He is 'okay' at working hard, getting the puck free (sometimes) and doing that turn around shot. 2.0 million is max for him, and 1.5 million would be much better. I feel like he greatly benefited off of Staal for a long time. At least he can bury easy rebounds, which shouldn't be overlooked because that is really hard for some fringe players to do.

Kennedy's wiki has him listed as 5'11", I've seen most of them as 5'10", you can't tell me this kid is taller than 5'8.5" max. If he was a legit 5'11, or even 6'0", he'd be so much harder to get the puck off of him. He's too easy to play against, unless its along the offensive boards. Even then, at his best, it's still not that amazing.

I'd like to see a change, but where else could you replace his 15-20 goals on the 3rd line? Whether we win the cup, or completely miss the playoffs...I think Matt Cooke will not be re-signed. I hope they keep Jeffrey around, he's a good all around player that could work well with Sutter. Kennedy, even though this board knows I don't like him, could still be a good fit.

Pittman, do you remember when we played Ottawa Senators for 2 games, over in europe? He scored IIRC 2-3 goals in that 2 games series...then he didn't do anything for like 8 games. Guess what happened this year? Same thing. Scores at the start of the season, probably started to get banged up, and hasn't scored since then. It's typical Little Tiger 101. He's the prototypical 3rd liner, but you can argue that our Forward group is already undersized. I'd really like to see the line of Jeffrey Sutter Boychuk and see what it can do over a few games.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lifetimefan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:22 am

Third line, no better.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:04 am

Tyler Kennedy.................Kennedy
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 am

Hog nose
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 am

I'd like Tyler Kennedy so much more if he wasn't a stereotypical EA NHL player and shot every chance he got without passing to his teammates.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 am

I've always been a big Kennedy backer. It's not that he's a special player, but he fits our team pretty well. People with unrealistic expectations on players and player development don't like him, which I can understand...but he's been a good player for us since he's been here...no complaints.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 am

ive always backed him as well but this season he has been completely invisible. For me he doesnt have to score but i dont even notice him at all unless hes doing something stupid. Sometimes being quiet isnt a bad thing but hes completely non existant out there and i dont know why. Hopefully he finds some consistency out there because i have always liked him as a role player but if he doesnt do much this year he could be gone.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:58 am

Isn't a role player supposed to be able to be used in more than one situation? Stuck in the bottom 6 with no pk and limited 2nd powerplay time. Not sure Kennedy is a role player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mpc71 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 am

Was this thread created by Bylsma?
mpc71

Postby mikey287 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:07 am

Not necessarily. Would it be ideal if TK could PK? Sure. But if that line could get back to cycling and puck possession, I'd take 45 seconds of ES puck possession and let other players PK. Like Craig Adams, who doesn't offer much 5 on 5, for instance, is forgiven. TK who offers more 5 on 5 is admonished...people will see what they want to...I'm fine with TK being on this team, I won't lose sleep when he's gone though...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 am

I've found that Kennedy looks even more woefully weak along the boards than he has the last couple years. I'm just not understanding his role....chipping pucks? He doesn't win puck battles, he doesn't kill penalties, he is limited on the PP, his shooting percentage is awful, his passing skills are lacking badly.

I'm not trying to hate the guy, but it seems like "chipping pucks" is about his only attribute. You have to have some ability to win battles and keep the puck cycling to be a grinder.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:12 am

He's a fine 3rd line player, but thats all. Dupuis is a role player. You can plug him in on any line, he kills penalties. Cooke is a role player. He can instigate, pks, can play a regular hockey shift. Adams is a penalty killer, Kennedy is an even strength player, they are effective in one situation in the NHL, they aren't role players.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 am

Tyler Kennedy.... Sucks...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:15 am

I just always associated "role player" with supporting role. They'll do whatever's asked below the line, but he'll never be a star or in the spotlight or anything...he plays a supporting role in the team below the "advertised" players, so to speak... *shrug*
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFaninRegina on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 am

thepittman wrote:Am I the only one that appreciates how hard he works nearly every night? I really think he is a valuable role player on this team. I dont know what some of you expect.

My biggest issue with TK is his need to shoot the puck, but I could even live with that if he hit the net more often than not.
PensFaninRegina
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 am

mikey287 wrote:I just always associated "role player" with supporting role. They'll do whatever's asked below the line, but he'll never be a star or in the spotlight or anything...he plays a supporting role in the team below the "advertised" players, so to speak... *shrug*

Does Kennedy even do that really? I consider Dupuis/Kunitz/Cooke a role player. Kennedy is just there at this point.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:20 am

I like guys that shoot the puck, especially on this team. However TK is my guy that I wish wouldn't shoot the puck so often.

I wonder if Bylsma supports or hates when TK cruises into the zone to blast a puck into the seats from a deflection or a shot that goes wide and wraps around the boards the other way.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 am

Kennedy's shooting percentage is 3.4% this season. His shots aren't even leading to scoring chances at this point. I'm not denying he had a solid season when our stars were injured. But talking about THIS season, he has been terrible in just about every way. I'm not expecting greatness, but come on.

The only thing he has done well this season is "chip pucks along the boards". Granted, most of the time they get swallowed up by the defense and turned the other way, but he has done that well.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saints11 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 am

Agree totally with Bioshock. When he scored early in the year, I said that was his MO.....a goal in an early game and then invisibility. He is not worth what he is being paid. He doesn't mesh with either Sid or Geno; and he doesn't mesh with Sutter! Yet, game in game out, he's in the line-up. I wish he could be moved; but I fear no one wants him because he doesn't add much. Don't want to be a "hater"; but he doesn't fit this team.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IMFC on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 am

Total kennedy shipper. Because he actually tries. Good speed and actually shoots the stupid puck. Honestly its not his fault that the next time a teamate even tries to go to the net and cash in a rebound will be the first time.

If he hit the net more and had a better iq he'd be a decent 2nd liner, but he doesn't, so what. In a sports world that is increasingly one of PEDs and genetic freaks, I love the genuine effort of the kennedy's and adams' of the world.

Y'all fantasy-generation clowns can dis 'im all ya want, yo. Yinz is whack.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins