Bennett recalled

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bennett recalled

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 pm

BB will get his chance on one of the top lines. People need to chill.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Bennett should be used on a line with Crosby and Kunitz. Leave Cooke with Malkin and Neal. Move Dupuis to the 3rd line. Dupuis has done a great job playing on the top line, but would be better suited for the third and would make that line more dangerous.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Re Hilbert: Crosby was on one of those magical tears; kid was determined to hit 100 that season and in typical Crosby fashion did it in the last home game of the season in (I think) the 2nd period. Hilbert was just along for the ride, but I also think that management believed if Crosby could put up those numbers with those two then he could with anyone (obviously not true).
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:Bennett should be used on a line with Crosby and Kunitz. Leave Cooke with Malkin and Neal. Move Dupuis to the 3rd line. Dupuis has done a great job playing on the top line, but would be better suited for the third and would make that line more dangerous.

:thumb: if Bennett is happy on the right
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Re Hilbert: Crosby was on one of those magical tears; kid was determined to hit 100 that season and in typical Crosby fashion did it in the last home game of the season in (I think) the 2nd period. Hilbert was just along for the ride, but I also think that management believed if Crosby could put up those numbers with those two then he could with anyone (obviously not true).

It was also established that the pens were butt at that point. I don't think the competition was exactly bringing their A game.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Gaucho wrote:BB will get his chance on one of the top lines. People need to chill.

I'm excited to see him play, but think he is wasted on the 3rd line. I don't want his 'chance' to be 30 seconds with Sid/Geno then 3/4th line duty. Knowing you have a whole game (even period) on a line, not just a shift, eases the pressure to perform and IMO this is better than a 'do or rejoin TK's line' for development.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
Gaucho wrote:BB will get his chance on one of the top lines. People need to chill.

I'm excited to see him play, but think he is wasted on the 3rd line. I don't want his 'chance' to be 30 seconds with Sid/Geno then 3/4th line duty. Knowing you have a whole game (even period) on a line, not just a shift, eases the pressure to perform and IMO this is better than a 'do or rejoin TK's line' for development.

But on the flip side, this is his 1st NHL game. You aren't going to get a good result by throwing him against the top dogs when he hasn't yet adjusted to the speed of the NHL.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

But on the flip side, this is his 1st NHL game. You aren't going to get a good result by throwing him against the top dogs when he hasn't yet adjusted to the speed of the NHL.

i agree with this to a point. i think i actually suggested starting him on the 3rd line a few pages back. You want to make it a smooth transition and not put too much pressure on the kid, but you also want to put him in roles where he'd succeed. I guess there are points on both sides. whatever. Bylsma is smarter than i am.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

Or will you? The other side of the argument is that he will have the best playmaker in the world feeding him layups. One goal could boost confidence that will keep increasing. Playing on a third line with less talented teammates could breed frustration and hinder development.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:48 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

Or will you? The other side of the argument is that he will have the best playmaker in the world feeding him layups. One goal could boost confidence that will keep increasing. Playing on a third line with less talented teammates could breed frustration and hinder development.

Would it matter if he played with Crosby or Malkin if he couldn't keep up with their speed mentally?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

And perhaps he's starting there to make Sutter and Kennedy work harder?

I dunno. I just think some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill with this.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:The other side of the argument is that he will have the best playmaker in the world feeding him layups. One goal could boost confidence that will keep increasing. Playing on a third line with less talented teammates could breed frustration and hinder development.

We sort of tried that strategy with Tangradi, Boychuk, and Jeffrey. Worked out well.

You are either good enough to play on the NHL or you aren't. And if you are good enough, you'll find a way to make yourself noticeable. You don't cry about not getting a real chance or whatever.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 pm

not reading all of this, is he playing tonight?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Guess.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:09 pm

ok, revised question. Who is sitting?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Rylan wrote:ok, revised question. Who is sitting?

Boychuk, Bortuzzo, Jeffrey, Jeffery, and Jeffries.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Also, to make sure he has no chance of ever succeeding, BB will be playing with Sutter and Kennedy.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Don't see why starting on the 3rd line is a bad thing for him. Maybe he can get that line going with some playmaking.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:25 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Don't see why starting on the 3rd line is a bad thing for him. Maybe he can get that line going with some playmaking.

Exactly! :thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Why are we freaking out about starting lines when 2 minutes into the 2nd period we'll be freaking out because Bylsma is using a Random Lineup Generator?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:40 pm

The third line gets plenty of icetime, but not the defensive matchups of the top two. I like this move.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saints11 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Not so much freaked out about where Bennett is, as I think with HCDB, he'll be up with Geno and Neal at some point in the game. Much more freaked that Kennedy remains in the line-up and that Bortuzzo didn't replace Engelland. My only rational for those two still in the line-up......THEY MUST HAVE PICTURES OF SOMEONE!
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm

saints11 wrote:Not so much freaked out about where Bennett is, as I think with HCDB, he'll be up with Geno and Neal at some point in the game. Much more freaked that Kennedy remains in the line-up and that Bortuzzo didn't replace Engelland. My only rational for those two still in the line-up......THEY MUST HAVE PICTURES OF SOMEONE!

Or maybe they won their last game and there really is not urgency to make any changes. But that would be boring.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saints11 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Sure didn't win because of contributions from 5 & 48!
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Well, they were in the lineup, so they contributed. While I'd rather see Bortuzzo as well, I see no reason to second-guess DB's decision to stick with Engelland. TK has sucked lately, but let's cut him some slack.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins