Bennett recalled

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bennett recalled

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Gaucho wrote:Well, they were in the lineup, so they contributed. While I'd rather see Bortuzzo as well, I see no reason to second-guess DB's decision to stick with Engelland. TK has sucked lately, but let's cut him some slack.

Why? I don't recall Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bortuzzo etc being cut any slack. What has TK done to deserve a free ride?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Well, they were in the lineup, so they contributed. While I'd rather see Bortuzzo as well, I see no reason to second-guess DB's decision to stick with Engelland. TK has sucked lately, but let's cut him some slack.

Why? I don't recall Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bortuzzo etc being cut any slack. What has TK done to deserve a free ride?

He's had a significantly more accomplished NHL career, for one.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:24 pm

i'll say this much about this kennedy business...he's made meaningful contributions to this team over the span of several years. does that mean he gets a lifetime free pass? no. does it mean he's not frustrating as hell to watch right now? no. but it means, aside from a motivational butt kicking, he's not really at risk of losing his job because a couple guys who are likely to play more games in the AHL than NHL next year are available to replace him in the lineup.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Gotta give TK some time to adjust to someone not named Jordan Staal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saints11 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Maybe a seat in the stands would motivate TK a little, not hatin' just saying.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Rocco wrote:Why are we freaking out about starting lines when 2 minutes into the 2nd period we'll be freaking out because Bylsma is using a Random Lineup Generator?

Like all coaches do.

The shuffling of lines is always kinda funny to me. Scotty Bowman had more combinations than a keyless garage door opener.

It's not that uncommon.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Rylan wrote:ok, revised question. Who is sitting?

Boychuk, Bortuzzo, Jeffrey, Jeffery, and Jeffries.

and Boychuck
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:06 pm

columbia wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

True, and I've never bashed TK before, but I find the 'free pass' some players are granted by Bylsma equally as frustrating as the poor play itself. I'm not suggesting any of the aforementioned players are better or will ever be better than TK, but if a player is failing to perform why not apply some of the tough love the rookies get and motivate the vets to 'earn' their spot, ie what have you done for me lately?!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
columbia wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

True, and I've never bashed TK before, but I find the 'free pass' some players are granted by Bylsma equally as frustrating as the poor play itself. I'm not suggesting any of the aforementioned players are better or will ever be better than TK, but if a player is failing to perform why not apply some of the tough love the rookies get and motivate the vets to 'earn' their spot, ie what have you done for me lately?!

Well, I certainly have. :slug:

He might deserve to sit at some point...just not sure that we are there yet.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens2005 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 pm

When are we going to stop blaming Bylsma and Malkin's linemates for Malkin's inept scoring issues.

Crosby plays with Dupuis and sometimes Kunitz, yet he never has a problem.

I guess I just Geno sometimes moping out there and we all jump to his defense saying its the people they are playing him with.

He has an all-star stud winger on his side, not sure putting Bennett with him is going to change anything.

I want Bennett with Sid, basically.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:02 pm

Because Malkin has a rotating door as his linemate. Each guy plays differently, so Malkin has to adjust, and can't find any consistency. It's why he's playing fine (great even) on the powerplay. But ES, his line isn't producing. They played with Boychuk for what 8 games? But it was pretty obvious Malkin and Neal lost faith in Boychuk about 3 games in.

But I agree, Bennett should be Sid's winger.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Well, they were in the lineup, so they contributed. While I'd rather seec Bortuzzo as well, I see no reason to second-guess DB's decision to stick with Engelland. TK has sucked lately, but let's cut him some slack.

if we cut him some slack we could totally ruin the internet message board's status as a fair moderator of talent
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 am

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:27 am

pens2005 wrote:When are we going to stop blaming Bylsma and Malkin's linemates for Malkin's inept scoring issues.

Crosby plays with Dupuis and sometimes Kunitz, yet he never has a problem.

I guess I just Geno sometimes moping out there and we all jump to his defense saying its the people they are playing him with.

He has an all-star stud winger on his side, not sure putting Bennett with him is going to change anything.

I want Bennett with Sid, basically.

I don't see where people Geno moping... I just don't. He looks frustrated at times, thats for sure, and he's taken some bad penalties because of those frustrations, and made some ill advised passes as well. He's snake bit right now, just needs to get one or two goals to go in and he will catch fire. I know we all expect more because he is Malkin, but the effort is there every night.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 am

Maybe on the PP he's snakebit, but at ES, his line isn't even in the vicinity of snakes.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 am

Malkin's effort is there, but his brain isn't.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Staal made Kennedy a better player. With him gone, Kennedy's struggling to mesh with Sutter, as I guessed he would. Sutter needs someone with a bit more vision and creativity to be effective. He's not a grinder. If Kennedy doesn't fit on the 3rd line, then I don't know where he fits on this team.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:45 pm

shmenguin wrote:i'll say this much about this kennedy business...he's made meaningful contributions to this team over the span of several years. does that mean he gets a lifetime free pass? no. does it mean he's not frustrating as hell to watch right now? no. but it means, aside from a motivational butt kicking, he's not really at risk of losing his job because a couple guys who are likely to play more games in the AHL than NHL next year are available to replace him in the lineup.

Pretty much this.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:00 pm

pcm wrote:Staal made Kennedy a better player. With him gone, Kennedy's struggling to mesh with Sutter, as I guessed he would. Sutter needs someone with a bit more vision and creativity to be effective. He's not a grinder. If Kennedy doesn't fit on the 3rd line, then I don't know where he fits on this team.

There's plenty of time for them to work things out.
If it doesn't happen, however, well, we all know who the better hockey player is and the Pens would need to find a replacement winger for next year.
(I assume that person is not within the organization.)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Based on Shero's recent comments regarding Kennedy, and his upcoming contract status, he WILL lose his job to a younger player if he doesn't pick up his play. The only difference is that it will be Shero making the decision instead of Blysma.

It's funny how anyone who comes up through the AHL is automatically dubbed a scrub or turd. As if all NHL talent is supposed to make the jump from juniors to the NHL. And if a player has played multiple seasons in the AHL... fuhgettaboutit. They're an AHL scrub for life. Its definitely funny. The Red Wings have been a model franchise for developing talent, and they're well known for keeping their prospects in the AHL for years of development before being brought up. Me thinks people here are spoiled seeing Letang, Staal, Malkin, Crosby come in and stick right from the start.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:32 pm

pcm wrote:It's funny how anyone who comes up through the AHL is automatically dubbed a scrub or turd. As if all NHL talent is supposed to make the jump from juniors to the NHL. And if a player has played multiple seasons in the AHL... fuhgettaboutit. They're an AHL scrub for life. Its definitely funny. The Red Wings have been a model franchise for developing talent, and they're well known for keeping their prospects in the AHL for years of development before being brought up. Me thinks people here are spoiled seeing Letang, Staal, Malkin, Crosby come in and stick right from the start.

:thumb:

Zetterberg and Datsyuk are good examples. They just stayed in Sweden/Russia (respectively) instead of the AHL for a few seasons to develop more before heading to the NHL.

Marty St Louis played a season in the IHL then bounced between the AHL and NHL for 3 seasons (without showing much) before really breaking out as a 25-year-old in Tampa.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:32 pm

I have feeling that we're going to see a couple hilight reel goals from Beau this year. He definitely has some real skill.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:42 pm

columbia wrote:I have feeling that we're going to see a couple hilight reel goals from Beau this year. He definitely has some real skill.

I have yet to see it, but I have hope he will work out
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Grunthy on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm

You really cannot see his skill set?
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Grunthy wrote:You really cannot see his skill set?

I saw him miss multiple chances today if that's part of his skill set :pop:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins