Bennett recalled

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bennett recalled

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:Bennett played less than 9 minutes yesterday. IMO, its very dumb to call him up and have him watch 50 minutes a night.

Very little 5 on 5 play, whaddayagonnado.

yeah, ice time usually isn't that provocative. guys who don't play special teams don't play a lot when there are a zillion PIM's. additionally, our top unit PP forwards have been spending almost the full 2 minutes on the ice lately. maybe because they've been rotating the D out or maybe because of our crazy o-zone time. that's going to bring down bennett, TK, sutter and i guess dupuis' ice time.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:Bennett played less than 9 minutes yesterday. IMO, its very dumb to call him up and have him watch 50 minutes a night.

He's probably more comfortable on the powerplay right now. I definitely would've put him in Kris (powerplay-flow-killer) Letang's place for part of the 5 on 3, although I really don't know why Martin wasn't there for the majority of it.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:55 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

He's probably more comfortable on the powerplay right now. I definitely would've put him in Kris (powerplay-flow-killer) Letang's place for part of the 5 on 3, although I really don't know why Martin wasn't there for the majority of it.

I think it was to save him for the end of the game. Why not keep your best defenseman rested if you're planning on leaving the 1st PP out there the entire time?

And I don't mean best overall, I mean best defensively
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:01 pm

No. You need to score two to tie it, you put what you've designated as your #1 unit out there (which has Martin on it). Kris Letang ended up with 28 minutes this game, Martin with 24. It was that extended 5 on 3 that really swung it in his favor. DB just effed up.

I think Bylsma likes Letang's shot more (and it's true, he has a better shot in terms of power and release) and figured he'd get more of an opportunity to use it 5 on 3, and that Letang's 5 on 4 ineptitude wouldn't matter if there was one less PKer to play against. He was wrong though. Hopefully he learns for next time.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 pm

You need to score 2 to tie it, but when you tie it, you need to maintain it. Saving Martin for preserving the tie makes sense. You don't want to throw out your 3rd pairing in a tie game with < 2 minutes.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Martin's average ice time is 25+, and he's played even more than that throughout the season thus far, so he ended up playing less this game than he usually does. He can handle those extra minutes just fine -- Letang did, and his ATOI is about the same as Martin's so far this year.

At the very least you mix-up the two, but nope. Letang was out there for pretty much the entire extended 5 on 3, to mediocre results, as expected. It's ok to just say Bylsma messed up. Clearly he is far from infallible.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Martin's average ice time is 25+, and he's played even more than that throughout the season thus far, so he ended up playing less this game than he usually does. He can handle those extra minutes just fine -- Letang did, and his ATOI is about the same as Martin's so far this year.

At the very least you mix-up the two, but nope. Letang was out there for pretty much the entire extended 5 on 3, to mediocre results, as expected. It's ok to just say Bylsma messed up. Clearly he is far from infallible.

That's not what I'm saying. Yes, he can handle extra minutes.

No, he can't play 8 minutes in a row or whatever it would have been had he been on the enitre PP.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 pm

No, so afterwards, with around 4 minutes left, you put the 3rd pairing out, then Tang and Nisky, then Martin and Orpik and then back to Tang-Nisky 'til the end of the period. I'm sure he could handle one more shift. Come on dude.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 pm

You're willing to put the 3rd pairing out against the Flyers in a tie game with not much time left?

Agree to disagree.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:30 pm

What, one shift with 5 to go? If your third pairing can't do that, get a new 3rd pairing. I'm sure you could alternate just Letang and Martin's pair too, culminating in a massive two shifts afterwards instead of one for PM, seeing as minutes played on the point for a defenseman on the power play, especially a 5 on 3, are easy minutes and not taxing at all (surely you mus realize this).

But yeah, whatever at this point.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:35 pm

meecrofilm wrote:No. You need to score two to tie it, you put what you've designated as your #1 unit out there (which has Martin on it). Kris Letang ended up with 28 minutes this game, Martin with 24. It was that extended 5 on 3 that really swung it in his favor. DB just effed up.

I think Bylsma likes Letang's shot more (and it's true, he has a better shot in terms of power and release) and figured he'd get more of an opportunity to use it 5 on 3, and that Letang's 5 on 4 ineptitude wouldn't matter if there was one less PKer to play against. He was wrong though. Hopefully he learns for next time.

His shot is why he's on the 5 on 3. With Malkin on the right side, need a right handed shot for one timers on the opposite side.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 pm

No reason Bennett shouldn't be getting more minutes. He's looked fine out there. Bylsma just doesn't like or trust going to young players IMO.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:39 pm

farnham16 wrote:No reason Bennett shouldn't be getting more minutes. He's looked fine out there. Bylsma just doesn't like or trust going to young players IMO.

Kinda hard for Bennett to play when the team in shorthanded.

Also, he's getting the same amount of minutes other rookies are getting.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm

pfim wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:No. You need to score two to tie it, you put what you've designated as your #1 unit out there (which has Martin on it). Kris Letang ended up with 28 minutes this game, Martin with 24. It was that extended 5 on 3 that really swung it in his favor. DB just effed up.

His shot is why he's on the 5 on 3. With Malkin on the right side, need a right handed shot for one timers on the opposite side.

Exactly, but his ineptitude at moving the puck around up a man (or two) with any type of direction or purpose completely offsets this, and then some. Which is why I honestly think, even at this stage of his career, Bennett is a better option if they insist on having that righty shot in those situations.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
pfim wrote:

Exactly, but his ineptitude at moving the puck around up a man (or two) with any type of direction or purpose completely offsets this, and then some. Which is why I honestly think, even at this stage of his career, Bennett is a better option if they insist on having that righty shot in those situations.

So you want 5 forwards?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:45 pm

It's a 5 on 3 (and an extended one at that) it should not matter in that situation. If you need a defenseman to play defense on a 5 on 3 you're screwed to begin with.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:09 pm

He's been here for a week, I don't think throwing him out there on a 5 on 3, something he likely hasn't practiced with the team, is really the best option.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Neither do I -- I'd have preferred Martin there. They roll 5 lefties on the #1 PP unit and it's worked great the past few games. I don't see how having even more room to work with should somehow change that.

And let's be honest, any time we have a 5 on 3, does it look like we've put any practice time at all into it? :lol:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Annnnnnnnyways, back to BB for a minute if we could. Good point about TOI/Special Teams play. I had not considered that. You are probably correct that BB isn't getting much PP practice time so maybe it doesnt make much sense to put him out there, especially when your down and needing goals to get back in the game. But really, had those PP not happened, do you think HCDB would use Bennett much down the stretch? Those are typically the minutes he has half the team stapled to the bench.

Anywho, BB is supposed to be some good young playmaker, I would assume they would start trying to work him in on a PP unit. Pens just had 3 days off; if DB wanted to he could have got him some practice time with the second unit.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the first unit staying out all 2 minutes.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 am

Bennett from what I saw live isn't quite there yet offensively with the NHL game. He looked confused about where to go quite a bit and was just a split second too slow half the time. He also probably needs to put on some weight. Where he is right now in the team is where he should stay. I wouldn't want him playing much more than he is right now.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saints11 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 am

Bennett needs to go back to WBS. Remember how his years at UoD were disrupted by injuries. This has left much of his development off schedule. He is the glaring reason we need to get a couple of wings. As much as I'd love to get Iggy, might not we be better served to get say a David Jones or a Drew Stafford and a Peter Mueller cap wise? Put Stafford or Mueller with Sid and Kunitz, Jones with Geno and Neal, and strengthen the third line by putting Dupuis with Cooke and Sutter. We become a tougher group to play against.
Last edited by saints11 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Bennett from what I saw live isn't quite there yet offensively with the NHL game. He looked confused about where to go quite a bit and was just a split second too slow half the time. He also probably needs to put on some weight. Where he is right now in the team is where he should stay. I wouldn't want him playing much more than he is right now.

I'd agree he looks a little off speed but the potential is there. Keeping him where he is might be best for his development but not this team in a shortened season. Cooke is not a 2nd line winger, BB is not a third line winger and neither should be in those positions leading up to, let alone in, the playoffs. A trade is almost certainly coming, hopefully soon. Top minutes in the AHL will not harm Bennett but prepare him for stepping into that role at the NHL level next season when there will be more time to 'experiment' and ease him in.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Bennett does still look like he's figuring things out, which is what the regular season is for. If he hasn't made the switch to the top 6 by the playoffs, I'd still be fine with keeping Bennett on the 3rd line going into the playoffs (1) to give him a taste of the real stuff, and (2) to utilize that youthful dynamism / exuberance that rookies bring. But only IF he took Kennedy's spot AND a top 6 forward is brought in. So you get:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
New guy-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Bennett
Adams-Vitale-Glass
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Bennett is going to get his 1st NHL goal tonight. Just a feeling.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 pm

With Geno out, I'd like to see BB moved up to the #1 PP unit. We need that right-handed presence on the half-wall, and he's a better option over Letang right now. It's a good opportunity I think he's ready for.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins