NHL realignment on the table again.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NHL realignment on the table again.

Postby Rylan on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:51 am

Seattle and Kansas City are getting teams :scared:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:55 am

Columbus/Pittsburgh rivalry. Make that happen.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 am

If the map teaches us anything, tampa and florida should just go away and 7 teams in each conference.

Pens call dibs on Stamkos.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 pm

columbia wrote:All of the above implies:

No team in QC
No 2nd team in Toronto

MLB went many years with imbalanced leagues and I can't say affected things too much.

I wouldn't go that far, expansion wouldn't be ready until 2015 so in the mean time this does make the most sence. By having 7 teams in the western side of the US you really cut down on travel. Having the 8 teams in the east doesn't realy add all that much travel. Detroit and Columbus are in the eastern time zone so it makes it better for thier TV schedule. My biggest question is how does the playoff pool work. If there is some crazy stupid extra round i won't like it.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Whats going to happen when Quebec City Nordiques come back? Maybe it will be the Flordia Panthers or something.

Can the NHL really handle 32 teams? They finally start to stabilize (or atleast when Phoenix -30 million is gone) and then expand AGAIN?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Do. Not. Like. I don't mind our division rivals, but I don't like an 8 team division.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:59 pm

From what i read the 4th and 5th place teams in the 8 team divisions would play a game or 3 game series to see who gets the final play off spot. i don't like that at all. Seems stupid and more taxing on the players. Imagine if you are the 4th seed team abd have a 6 point advantage on a 5th seed team, i don't think you should have to play them to earn a playoff spot. i thought they should of gone with a 8-7 east conf. and a 8-7 west conf. If the 5th seed team from a 8 team division has more points then a 4th seed team in the 7 team confrence, that 5th seed gets the 4th seeds spot.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:04 pm

So, on NHL Home Ice on SiriusXM, they just said the perfect answer to this. If you win your "conference", you are a top 4 seed. The rest of the teams are lined up by record. So, Pens might be #2 seed and have to play #15 Colorado in round 1, then #10 Phoenix, then #7 Anaheim, and in the Cup Finals play #5 Philly.

I actually think I like it better this way.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Kovy27 wrote:So, on NHL Home Ice on SiriusXM, they just said the perfect answer to this. If you win your "conference", you are a top 4 seed. The rest of the teams are lined up by record. So, Pens might be #2 seed and have to play #15 Colorado in round 1, then #10 Phoenix, then #7 Anaheim, and in the Cup Finals play #5 Philly.

Never happen, keeping the playoffs within the division makes it easier on the players travel wise. Just deal with the uneven divisions, so what if you got 8 in your division.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:22 pm

National seeding would make for new and exciting match-ups plus the opportunity for an inner conference Stanley Cup Final. How awesome would a Pittsburgh/Philadelphia Finals be?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:24 pm

nocera wrote:National seeding would make for new and exciting match-ups plus the opportunity for an inner conference Stanley Cup Final. How awesome would a Pittsburgh/Philadelphia Finals be?

If this board is any indication, a nightmare.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:28 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
nocera wrote:National seeding would make for new and exciting match-ups plus the opportunity for an inner conference Stanley Cup Final. How awesome would a Pittsburgh/Philadelphia Finals be?

Well, obviously the Pens would get swept in 3 games.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:28 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Why do you spend so much time on this nightmare then?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:31 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Why do you spend so much time on this nightmare then?

I'm saying a Stanley Cup Final against the Flyers would be a nightmare.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:41 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Why don't you just draw up my divorce papers, MRandall? Huh?

:wink: no, not srs
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Yeah this would be great but you might have to wait 25 years for this to happen then the rivalry would be so dead it really wouldn't matter.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 am

no name wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:So, on NHL Home Ice on SiriusXM, they just said the perfect answer to this. If you win your "conference", you are a top 4 seed. The rest of the teams are lined up by record. So, Pens might be #2 seed and have to play #15 Colorado in round 1, then #10 Phoenix, then #7 Anaheim, and in the Cup Finals play #5 Philly.

Never happen, keeping the playoffs within the division makes it easier on the players travel wise. Just deal with the uneven divisions, so what if you got 8 in your division.

Who gives a **** about travel. That's more exciting than playing Phi, NYR, and Bos every year before making it to the finals.

See Detroit for the last 20 years. I'm saying travel isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Change the format of the 7 game series H-H-A-A-A-H-H
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimreb on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 am

Kovy27 wrote:
no name wrote:

Who gives a **** about travel. That's more exciting than playing Phi, NYR, and Bos every year before making it to the finals.

See Detroit for the last 20 years. I'm saying travel isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Change the format of the 7 game series H-H-A-A-A-H-H

I'm old, so I remember when they used to do this in the mid-late 70s they used to seed 1-16 2-15....I actually preferred it that way, also. Of course, the Pens were in a division that included Los Angeles and Montreal, lol. Would love to see a Philly-Pens, Rangers-Pens Final.

Agreed, the easiest travel solution would be the 2-3-2 format.

Another twist on that to satisfy both ways, is to play the first two rounds all conference based and then when you get to the final four, seed based on points. That way you could have a Pens-Wings, Flyers-Canucks matchups in the final four and still have a possible Flyers-Pens final.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jagr's mullet on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 am

jagr's mullet
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Senka on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 am

...Everyone is forgetting about Brooklyn. tsk tsk
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 am

Only change I'd make is move the NY area teams to the NE and FL, TB and Detroit to Atlantic.

You could then break them down into 4 team groups too if you want. I'd be fine seeing Philly, Columbus and Detroit more. Geographically that makes more sense then being in a division with the NY teams.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:24 am

That's cool but that's not the reason they are pushing this format. Its so you play in conference teams in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 am

I don't like this setup at all... I think keeping the old system and just move some teams around would be better. Unless they are preparing for a expansion, then I can see the need for it.

But I don't like the breakup of east and west, It should be as it was before. So we can only face a western team in the SCF.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 am

When you concider in the next 3 to 5 years 2 more teams could be added and 2 other teams could be relocated, who knows what that map will look like then.

And honestly if the league wanted to reduce travel, why don't they allow each divisional team to play 2 games in a row in each city once a year. So all our divisonal teams visit Pitts and play 2 games like a Mon. and Wed. If you allow all teams to do this once a year you really cut down on travel.

I was hoping for FLA and TB to be in our division. I would of loved to of had the ability to visit Florida a few times a year. Pitts, Washington, Detroit, Columbus, Carolina, Philadelphia, TB, FLA
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:03 am

Yea, if thay want to reduce travel, how does FLA and TB end up with MTL etc? That division looks strange.

If they wanted to reduce travel, it would look like.

FLA, TB, Was, Pit, Phi, Car, CBJ, Det

MTL, Tor, Ott, Bos, Buf, NYR, NYI, NJD
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins