Sens owner things Cooke deserves lifetime ban

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sens owner things Cooke deserves lifetime ban

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Rylan wrote:Did Lemieux get fined for his talk about headshots?

I don't remember. I do remember he was soundly mocked for it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:35 pm

This attitude reflects the mindset of many Canadians, as I've experienced. They have a sense of entitlement and arrogance unlike any other nation on the planet. It's just their culture, the way they do things up there. Of course, there are many exceptions to this, but in general this kind of thing seems to be the norm. It's okay when they employ goons to injure other teams' guys on purpose, but it's not okay when a freak accidental injury happens to a player on their team.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm

What does being Canadian have to do with this at all? Especially since Melnyk is Ukrainian?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Gaucho wrote:Melnyk should be fined. I'm serious.

Not how the league will handle it, but the political system in the NHL tends to handle this stuff internally. When Melnyk needs something, his support will be limited.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:43 pm

llipgh2 wrote:

I remember the comment Garth Snow I believe said that if Lemieux wants to get rid of headshots, maybe he should start showing to owners meeting once in a while.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby jwest21 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Gaucho wrote: Especially since Melnyk is Ukrainian?

I think he was still born and raised in Toronto
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

I remember the comment Garth Snow I believe said that if Lemieux wants to get rid of headshots, maybe he should start showing to owners meeting once in a while.

Nice, because head shots aren't something the rest of them should want removed anyway...Snow's an idiot
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:48 pm

The Sens owner is an idiot.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:48 pm

lol this makes my day and its funny because after a few days all of a sudden at work 2 caps fans call out Cooke and talk to me about how intentional it was.

please go cry me a river im so sick of the Sens management they are such cry babies. Remember all the cheapshots against our players in 07-08? i do. Crosby was mugged after every single whistle. It was garbage. I dont want to hear anything from them.

Hilarious
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:05 pm

jwest21 wrote:
Gaucho wrote: Especially since Melnyk is Ukrainian?

I think he was still born and raised in Toronto

Fine. I still say it was a pointless rant. And I don't mean Melnyk's in this case.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Hmm...I guess there are canadiens who know nothing about the game of hockey.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 pm

NM
Last edited by Tico Rick on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jwest21 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 pm

and still Crosby and the Penguins are the whiners.... :roll:
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFaninRegina on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:18 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:This attitude reflects the mindset of many Canadians, as I've experienced. They have a sense of entitlement and arrogance unlike any other nation on the planet. It's just their culture, the way they do things up there. Of course, there are many exceptions to this, but in general this kind of thing seems to be the norm. It's okay when they employ goons to injure other teams' guys on purpose, but it's not okay when a freak accidental injury happens to a player on their team.

Coming from a Canadian....WTF are you talking about?
"They way they do things up there"? Thats a pretty broad paint brush you've got there....
PensFaninRegina
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:39 pm

If what I've heard on NHL Network the past two days is any indication, he's just making an ass of himself at this point. It's fairly well universally accepted that this was a freak incident, and nothing intentional on Cooke's part.

As FANS, we get it. More than a couple of us were calling for David Steckel's head after the Winter Classic 2 years ago. I don't recall Shero or Lemieux whinging about it publicly, however.

No team is immune from these kinds of injuries, Mr. Melnyk; and no team - least of all yours - is immune from questionable play on the ice. Have some dignity, man.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:58 pm

He needed to invest in the metal knee socks for the sens! Steve Sullivan is on twitter about them.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Guinness wrote:If what I've heard on NHL Network the past two days is any indication, he's just making an ass of himself at this point. It's fairly well universally accepted that this was a freak incident, and nothing intentional on Cooke's part.

As FANS, we get it. More than a couple of us were calling for David Steckel's head after the Winter Classic 2 years ago. I don't recall Shero or Lemieux whinging about it publicly, however.

No team is immune from these kinds of injuries, Mr. Melnyk; and no team - least of all yours - is immune from questionable play on the ice. Have some dignity, man.

You know how wrong he is when not even that many of the tools leaving comments on tsn think it was intentional.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:06 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:This attitude reflects the mindset of many Canadians, as I've experienced. They have a sense of entitlement and arrogance unlike any other nation on the planet. It's just their culture, the way they do things up there. Of course, there are many exceptions to this, but in general this kind of thing seems to be the norm. It's okay when they employ goons to injure other teams' guys on purpose, but it's not okay when a freak accidental injury happens to a player on their team.

Reading Melnyk's incoherent rant was worth reading this post. Wow, hello left field.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Melnyk fu..... idiot,remember Sutton?
Last edited by Pens4Life on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby raewhit on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 pm

mikey287 wrote:That's the second Chris Neil knock, and while I don't love him and he's an enforcer type player, he's actually got a pretty clean rap sheet. In fact, has he ever been suspended for anything ever? He's a by-the-code guy pretty much and I even support what he did to Cooke after the game to be honest...a star player got hurt, Neil wanted to take him to task for it, accidental or not, Neil should have gone over and started pushing him around...show that he cares about his teammate...the game was over, why not? And I'm not even a fan of fighting really...but Neil is a pretty stand-up guy actually...

Melnyk makes of a fool of himself enough in the article, no reason to drag anything else into it really...

Gotta say I don't know how Neil has escaped suspension. Sucker punching Letang, elbowing Andy MacDonald, his headshot to Chris Drury.
raewhit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jwest21 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 pm

They can cry all they want...what concerns me is something akin to that Islanders debacle happening again
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Neil is a by-the-code punk.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm

penny lane wrote:Todd Bertuzzi wearing the hallowed winged uniform and loved.

But...but...people can't atone for the past and change...ever!!!

I agree with you, penny.

I also agree that Melnyk should be fined. Mario called out against head shots, but in that particular instance, I don't recall him going so far as to attack a particular individual. If I'm mistaken, then someone let me know.

Does anyone think that Shanahan needs to make a statement or something to try to end this, or would that make everything worse?

As soon as I saw that Karlsson was severely injured, I immediately felt awful for Karlsson. I love watching him play. But I also admit that when I saw it was Cooke involved, I felt awful for him, too, and still do.

Cooke could wear a cilice under his sweater and that wouldn't be enough for some people. He responds to demands that he answer whether it was intentional or not. He answers "no, of course not intentional," and is called a liar. No surprise. Karlsson could come out and absolve him of all blame, but then to many that would just be Karlsson taking the high road.

I'm still stunned at how some supposedly smart people can think this makes any sense:

"No way that was intentional; that's a normal hockey play, off-balance, resulting in a terrible accident. Except that it's Matt Cooke, so I'm certain it's 100% intentional. What was his foot doing up there? No such thing as being off balance!"

Or

"Totally innocent play, but he should be banned because of his reputation."

I'm not a genius, I can be irrational at times, but that kind of stupidity just blows my mind. TSN trying to get out ahead of the controversy did nothing at all.

I asked one guy I know, "At the very least, what would Cooke have to gain after two years of clean play to 'intentionally' do something like this?" The answer: "I don't know, but he's not that smart of a guy...oh, and Savard!!!" But he possesses the mental acuity to process, plan, and commit this, with all those moving parts, in the span of one second. I wish I were that sharp, since I had to watch the video at game speed 15 times.

[Aside, since I'm on a Bluto-like roll: I argue that Cooke didn't end Savard's career. Savard's career was eroded over time by many concussions and many more stupid decisions made by his teams and himself to rush back onto the ice each time. Cooke was the last stupid (and he was, at the time) guy in the line of stupidity so he bears the burden of all the stupidity before him. Have I mentioned the word "stupid" enough? A stupid amount, perhaps. :? ]
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Take your crappola elsewhere man. That's a pretty broad statement. The way we do things up here? Not one person in Canada has turned this into a US vs Canada thing, what the heck are you talking about? My god, that's ridiculous.

How about your gun control? It's just how you do it down there? It's the mindset of many Americans to just carry a gun and pop off whenever they see fit?

I'm being sarcastic because I know that's not the case of most Americans, but because a few do it, it doesn't lead me to believe that everyone is packing and trigger happy.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:50 pm

murphydump55 wrote:I'm being sarcastic because I know that's not the case of most Americans, but because a few do it, it doesn't lead me to believe that everyone is packing and trigger happy.

That's Texas
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins