Sens owner things Cooke deserves lifetime ban

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sens owner things Cooke deserves lifetime ban

Postby mikey287 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 am

Lt. Dish wrote:Not directly related, but just thought of the Mark Messier Leadership Award: Named after one of the dirtiest players ever.

But whatever.

Good point, he should - at best - be the presenting sponsor...

Mark Messier's Leadership presents the Mike Richards Passion Award

Spoiler:
...to Alexander Ovechkin!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 am

Lt. Dish wrote:Not directly related, but just thought of the Mark Messier Leadership Award: Named after one of the dirtiest players ever.

But whatever.

Perception vs. Reality really. If Cooke was a 100 pt scorer and won how many cups, the last 2 as the teams 1st line center it would be different. I hate Messier for that reason, he could swing his stick at your head and people would talk about his leadership and he is the ultimate team guy.

My favorite Messier moment is in the 96 playoffs when he rung a shot off of two pipes and stood there with his arms straight up and a **** eating smirk on his face. Until he realized it didnt go in and he was a schmuck.

Back to the point. I understand reputations being earned and maybe spur of the moment comments, but at least if you are going to go off on a tangent like this make it on a play that has some reasonable doubt to it.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 am

mikey287 wrote:

But whatever.

Good point, he should - at best - be the presenting sponsor...

Mark Messier's Leadership presents the Mike Richards Passion Award

Spoiler:
...to Alexander Ovechkin!

Rework this to add "with the shoulder" somewhere... :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:14 am

I must of missed something, since when did Karlsson become the next Bobby Orr?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:19 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

But whatever.

Perception vs. Reality really. If Cooke was a 100 pt scorer and won how many cups, the last 2 as the teams 1st line center it would be different. I hate Messier for that reason, he could swing his stick at your head and people would talk about his leadership and he is the ultimate team guy.

My favorite Messier moment is in the 96 playoffs when he rung a shot off of two pipes and stood there with his arms straight up and a **** eating smirk on his face. Until he realized it didnt go in and he was a schmuck.

Back to the point. I understand reputations being earned and maybe spur of the moment comments, but at least if you are going to go off on a tangent like this make it on a play that has some reasonable doubt to it.

I absolutely share your opinion on Messier, and yes, perception vs. reality is the way to put it.

And yes, Melnyk's tangential rant struck me as just....help me find a good word for it, BADS....anyone...
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:00 am

RxBandit66 wrote:This attitude reflects the mindset of many Canadians, as I've experienced. They have a sense of entitlement and arrogance unlike any other nation on the planet. It's just their culture, the way they do things up there. Of course, there are many exceptions to this, but in general this kind of thing seems to be the norm. It's okay when they employ goons to injure other teams' guys on purpose, but it's not okay when a freak accidental injury happens to a player on their team.

Wait...what? Is this a joke?
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:39 am

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
FYI as per CBA, Matt Cooke no longer considered a repeat offender for purposes of calculating forfeited salary resulting from suspensions. CBA rule is that repeat offender status is reset if there's no suspension in 18 months. Cooke was last suspended in March 2011. Obviously that doesn't mean B. Shanahan wouldn't consider Cooke's past if something were to happen again.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Subtext: Shanny needs to suspend him soon for something, to appease the slobbering hockey media.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Nah, LeBrun stated repeatedly it was a freak accident.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the riddler on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 pm

I couldn't imagine the outrage if this were Pittsburgh or Mario Lemieux saying those things. He would be crucified.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Owners are basically fans with a lot more money than the others. His comments aren't surprising. They are wrong, but they aren't surprising. We all wanted to take PK Subban behind the shed when Staal got injured. This is just Sens fans/media doing the same.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the riddler on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:33 pm

bhaw wrote:Owners are basically fans with a lot more money than the others. His comments aren't surprising. They are wrong, but they aren't surprising. We all wanted to take PK Subban behind the shed when Staal got injured. This is just Sens fans/media doing the same.

The fact that it is Matt Cooke has everything to do with it too, and that's mostly his fault. And I understand maybe right after the game they might be saying this stuff, but this is a couple days after and they're still losing their ****. Hopefully the league steps in and puts an end to it, because it's embarrassing.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Juice on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:17 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:This attitude reflects the mindset of many Canadians, as I've experienced. They have a sense of entitlement and arrogance unlike any other nation on the planet. It's just their culture, the way they do things up there. Of course, there are many exceptions to this, but in general this kind of thing seems to be the norm. It's okay when they employ goons to injure other teams' guys on purpose, but it's not okay when a freak accidental injury happens to a player on their team.

Seeing how you haven't responded or been back to this thread since you said this, I'd like to make sure I get to tell you to **** right off.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Shanahan apparently spoke to both GMs. I'm fine with not making public what has been said. Not taking any action against Cooke is statement enough, I think.

And I second Juice's notion.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm

Gaucho wrote:Nah, LeBrun stated repeatedly it was a freak accident.

His first tweet on the subject:

I don't think it was on purpose but Cooke skate obviously has contact with Karlsson just above left skate...

Really? You mean you had to decide whether Cooke intentionally stepped on him, Pierre? Because, you know, doing that would agitate the audience and the media never benefits from that. :roll:
That's bush league and we saw the same from Kevin Weekes, etc.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby slappybrown on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:32 pm

columbia wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Nah, LeBrun stated repeatedly it was a freak accident.

His first tweet on the subject:

I don't think it was on purpose but Cooke skate obviously has contact with Karlsson just above left skate...

Really? You mean you had to decide whether Cooke intentionally stepped on him, Pierre? Because, you know, doing that would agitate the audience and the media never benefits from that. :roll:
That's bush league and we saw the same from Kevin Weekes, etc.

I don't really see an issue with how he phrased it to be honest. Particularly given (I assume) it was immediately after it happened. Weekes was way worse if you ask me; he refused to take a position on it form the comments I saw on NHLN.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:43 pm

While this issues doesn't expose any flaws in Canadians, it does expose flaws it the media. They demonized Cooke when he was in the wrong, but don't do much to douse the perception of the repeat offender striking again--and thus benefit from the false controversy. Most of them are scumbags, not Cooke. There is absolutely no evidence of malicious intent.

With that said, as it has been said already, every team has at least a couple of guys who play like Cooke did. I believe he was unfairly targeted due to the profile of those--and the markets they play in--he happened to injure. We all know there are and were star players more brutal than he whom are regarded as heroes.
Last edited by Desiato on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby duke66 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:56 pm

WHAT? is this dude serious? this statement is more insane than melnyk's. :thumbdown: :shock:
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:50 pm

the riddler wrote:I couldn't imagine the outrage if this were Pittsburgh or Mario Lemieux saying those things. He would be crucified.

Revisionist historians on HF are spouting nonsense equating Mario's threat to personally leave the league with personal attacks on the career and character of an individual player.

I never condoned Matty Cooke's forays over the edge, and I'm not an "apologist" for anyone, but this time--and until there's reason otherwise--I'm on the side of truth, justice, bagged milk, and the Canadian w'eh for Matty Cooke.

(Add donairs for Sid and poutine for Flower and Letang if I ever need to crusade for their honor honour.)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Mmm, bagged milk. Those were the days.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Gaucho wrote:Mmm, bagged milk. Those were the days.

'Sup, Gaucho.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 pm

4 am and slightly drunk. Time to call it a whatever. Night!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Gaucho wrote:4 am and slightly drunk. Time to call it a whatever. Night!

:thumb: goodnight
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby duke66 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 pm

we have bagged milk up here in arrogant canada! :P
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:14 am

duke66 wrote:

we have bagged milk up here in arrogant canada! :P

Oh, look at you arrogantly rubbing it in! And what's with calling yourself a duke? :P :lol:

I've never dealt with bagged milk in real life. Seems incredibly unwieldy to handle.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins