For us who did not see the game...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

For us who did not see the game...

Postby MarioLives on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 am

What were the lines? How did Bennett play? Does he look like the real thing? How did The big dog do against his old team? Don't tell me be used his body and hit....

Thanks
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: For us who did not see the game...

Postby scals37 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 am

"Big Dog" used his body quite a bit, threw some good checks and a few cheap shots in the first half, then was normal ET afterwards... Pretty much seemed amped up to play against his old team, then fizzled out again..

Bennett looked real good.. dare I say, He showed the same good things that Boychuk did in his first game.. but BB also blocked some shots, chipped and chased, and eventually promoted himself from third line to Geno's line with Neal.. He didn't dissappoint, but I think he needs to keep up the energy and be better than Boychuk and Cooke to stay on a scoring line..
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 am

Thats all that was missing from ET's game... a little fire. Its clear that, when he's got it, he is tough to play against. He just never seems to sustain it.

BB had some flashes... he did a lot more than Boychuk did in terms of winning a few puck battles, made some nice passes... just not consistent. 3-4 times I noticed him being in the right place, and 3-4 others he was surprised that Geno drove right at him when he wanted to puck.

I was hoping to see BB with Sid and send Duper or Kunitz to Malkin's line.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 am

I saw nothing in that game to suggest that BB isn't NHL ready right now. He is going to be amazing in the next couple of years. He just has those little things that separate the average from the gifted players.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 pm

On a line with most of the rest of the RHS on the team (Sutter and Kennedy)...I guess it doesn't matter quite as much if you're not gonna work along the boards, but it's still a weird obstacle to make for your players...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lifetimefan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I saw nothing in that game to suggest that BB isn't NHL ready right now. He is going to be amazing in the next couple of years. He just has those little things that separate the average from the gifted players.

Agreed. He played a solid first game for a 20 year old. He will learn as he plays. However, he needs to play with a line at his talent level. I thought he spent to much time with the likes of TK. Double B is the a top drawer talent, you don't place him in with the underwear!
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:28 pm

mikey287 wrote:On a line with most of the rest of the RHS on the team (Sutter and Kennedy)...I guess it doesn't matter quite as much if you're not gonna work along the boards, but it's still a weird obstacle to make for your players...

Quite the setup, isn't it.

L L L
L L L
R R R
L R R

L L
R R
L R
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:38 pm

It's befuddling to the nth degree. But I guess there's not a lot you can do. Only one of the RHS forwards can play above the third line (Bennett) and defensemen seem to working pretty well with one another now that the breakout is more controlled and less of these 100 foot hail mary passes...the only one that really struggles is Engelland when playing on his wrong side...the top-4 seem to be much better off because the forward support that comes back to help.

This set up is as good of an excuse as any to let Martin carry the puck sometimes. He's surprisingly good at carrying the mail, while he's on the wrong side of the ice, he might as well do it from time to time...if drawn up right, it could allow a Crosby or a Malkin to attack with speed on the entry which would create havoc for the opposition...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I saw nothing in that game to suggest that BB isn't NHL ready right now. He is going to be amazing in the next couple of years. He just has those little things that separate the average from the gifted players.

This!! :fist:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:49 pm

I thought it was impressive that you only got 1 period of noticing Tangradi in a game in which he hsould have been more amped up than ever before in his NHL career. That game was a great reassurance that everyone who thought he was worthless at the NHL level was right. His use to this league is basically call up and attack someone for no reason. Maybe the Isles need someone like that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:07 pm

If Tangradi would bring what he showed in the first 10 minutes of that game he would be a sure fire 4th liner on Winnipeg. He hit and played strong on the boards but like everyone else said he just fizzed out after that. He has to work on playing like that every minute of every game.

Bennett didn't look out of place, made some nice plays looks like he will be a good NHLer.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Tangradi shot his wad in the 1st period, took a smoke break in the 2nd and was fast asleep by the 3rd. That's more than the Pens ever got out of him.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:58 pm

tfrizz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:On a line with most of the rest of the RHS on the team (Sutter and Kennedy)...I guess it doesn't matter quite as much if you're not gonna work along the boards, but it's still a weird obstacle to make for your players...

Quite the setup, isn't it.

L L L
L L L
R R R
L R R

L L
R R
L R

I remember when Chris Thorburn was the only right handed shot. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer