Game 15 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 15 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 am

Pens win 3 - 1

- Craig F Adams was a BeAsT, as were his line-mates (especially jumping Joe Vitale)
- Another top dman taken out by the Pens :roll:
- Bennett looked velvety smooth is his first NHL game.
- Winnipeg Fans were loud, intense and knowledgeable. Boo'ing Sid has become commonplace
- MAF was good, really good at points.
- Burmistrov looks like he could become a good one for WPG, Big Buff looks heavy and unhealthy
- PPlay looked bad, until it didn't. Still don't feel "good" about it, but it works
- Sid slips into 2nd place in NHL scoring
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 15 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Eismann on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:50 am

Pens gritted that one out on talent. Very little sustained momentum.
Thanks to MAF
BB looked good
Tangradi - all down hill from there
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:57 am

IMO, Bennett looked more dangerous than Cooke on the Malkin line. I think it is time for him to get his chance.

I was kind of laughing at ET watching him come flying out of the gates and then slowly fading. He is a 4th liner at best.

Our power play...just looks chaotic. Watch any team and they look so organized. We look like a bunch of crazy improvisers.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:03 am

Last night, you could almost say that MAF stole two points for the Pens. This game and that Ottawa shootout win were by far his two best efforts this season. BB looked smooth out there, made a few good defensive plays too. He appears to have the goods, at least in terms of being a playmaker.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 am

Bennett pretty much had a boychuk game. I don't think we learned much about him other than he has some shot blocking cajones. I didn't like moving him around the lineup every other shift. He started off fine on line 3 and once they started jockeying him, he disappeared more and more.

Overall, it was a win, but like the other night, not terribly impressive. I don't know what this team is doing at even strength. Maybe it's just a new commitment to defense, but we're a big pile of nothing up front 5 v 5. The defense is looking good, but I'm not sold on this team at all yet. Basically, I miss staal. A lot.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:19 am

Bennett seems to have a more structured approach to the game than Boychuk.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 am

MAF was huge. I wish he coulda got the shutout, he deserved it.

Tangradi played his best game of the season, maybe of his NHL career. If he could play like that all the time he'd be a superstar. He still faded as the game went on however.

Pens need to get comfortable playing in tight games and holding onto 1 goal leads throughout, so I'm happy in that regard. They dominated the first, got beat in the second, and played a very evenly contested third period I thought.

Building blocks..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:26 am

BB/Malkin/Neal will most likely be the line sooner then later....Little nervous about that groups defensive approach and +/- though...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:44 am

--I thought Bennett looked good. He had a couple really slick passes, the one immediately over-hyped shot block, and seemed to be adequately strong on the puck and along the boards. He's certainly not a physically imposing player, but I don't think he's soff either. However, as mentioned above, it was a bit of a Boychuk performance in that there were some promising aspects to his play, but no ultimate production. He needs a relatively settled line spot for a couple games at least to see if he's going to be a significant improvement in the short-term for the top 6 (I don't see any reason to doubt his long-term potential).

--Tangradi looked good for the Jets, but he had a couple of those games with the Pens (primarily playing on the 4th line) when he was effective on the cycle down low. Maybe he can consistently bring that intensity for the Jets, but I have my doubts. I think I remember Caputi having a string of good games right after he was traded to Toronto too.

--For those who think Tangradi never got a fair shot with the Pens, look at Vitale's performance last night (and really for most of the season). Through his energy and intensity, Vitale basically forces Bylsma to keep giving him minutes. That's how guys on the fringe of the roster need to play if they want to stick. Tangradi never consistently did that.

--The Pens' inability to break a team's rhythm when they get going on the cycle in the defensive zone is worrying. They mentioned on the post-game show that the Pens were consciously trying to leave the points open and collapse down low to block shots and eliminate easy rebound opportunities. I'm not sure what to make of this. I know other teams do this successfully, but it seems to go against Bylsma's stated MO of winning the offensive zone time and shot battles.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am

largegarlic wrote:--

--The Pens' inability to break a team's rhythm when they get going on the cycle in the defensive zone is worrying. They mentioned on the post-game show that the Pens were consciously trying to leave the points open and collapse down low to block shots and eliminate easy rebound opportunities. I'm not sure what to make of this. I know other teams do this successfully, but it seems to go against Bylsma's stated MO of winning the offensive zone time and shot battles.

I think since teams have been able to get some zone presence against the Pens down low they made an adjustment, just not sure if its a solution. I agree not sure what to make of it long term, but I think beyond the wins there has to be some concern of our lack of ability at both ends to consistently carry the play.

I actually was impressed by BB last night, he looked well coached, in position, very smooth skater, I guess he just look liked he belonged thats all. In the past we seemed to be trying anything but he looked like he should be a top 6 player in his career. I know thats vague but thats what I got out of it. Missed the first period though, but all in all he just looked like he should be playing in the nhl unlike the other scrubs we have tried there so take it for whats it worth.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:01 pm

No Staal = Pens spend more time in their own zone. Simple as that.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby kypensfan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:03 pm

The PP is second in the league. Yes, at times it does seem chaotic but you can't really argue with the production. The Pens have scored a PP goal in what 7 straight now?
kypensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby npv708 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Kennedy needs scratched next game. He has been completely useless.

I'd say this is what I would do next game:

14 - 71 - 18
19 - 87 - 9
17 - 16 - 24
10 - 46 - 27

58 - 2
7 - 44
41 - 47
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 pm

npv708 wrote:Kennedy needs scratched next game. He has been completely useless.

14 - 71 - 18
19 - 87 - 9
17 - 16 - 24
10 - 46 - 27

58 - 2
7 - 44
41 - 47

If BB shows he can stay in the lineup, then it's probably curtains for TK. I'd move TK, Jeffrey, prospect for a top 6 forward....if possible...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 pm

TK has not been good, what has Boychuk done do derserve a spot over him?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm hoping the who should sit debate stays on the 3rd line, because that will mean Dreamboat Beau is a keeper.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Gaucho wrote:No Staal = Pens spend more time in their own zone. Simple as that.

Yea, I agree.

A couple of things were bothering me about last night.

First, I read Tangradi's comments about playing on a short leash and being more focused on not making a mistake rather than playing his game. It is what it is, but I think that is something most fans suspected. You have to wonder how good of a playing environment it is under DB for these young kids trying to crack the lineup. Thank god Bennett stood out last night because I was anticipating him being tossed into the fourth line if he didnt immediately make something happen. I know he had something to prove, but Tangradi was a beast at times last night and you have to wonder what a kid that size is capable of when he's confident. Doesn't really matter, that ship has obviously sailed but it's still relevant when it comes to a guy like Jeffrey who on occasion has shown he's certainly skilled enough to be productive on a scoring line but when he does crack the lineup is regularly reduced to a fourth line role while guys like Kennedy, even Dupuis, are total no shows.

Second, it still bothers me that virtually any team, whether skilled or grinding, can dominate this team for long stretches of time. There just doesn't appear to be any consistent effort or game plan. The team seems to barely hang on to every game. Last night MAF single handedly got us a win. Had he been ordinary, another below average team would have out worked and likely out scored us.

Again, I think it's a lack of identity, even leadership. Despite all the high end skill, we are just squeaking by. And despite the point total, I think there are some serious issues here that will likely be exploited come playoff time if some changes are not made.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Gaucho wrote:TK has not been good, what has Boychuk done do derserve a spot over him?

Create chances. That's the difference right now.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:43 pm

You also heave to wonder why the chance to play on the same ice as Crosby, Malkin, Letang & MAF wasn't a motivation.
Please don't blame for HCDB for Tangradi being who he is.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Let's see what Tangradi does when not playing against the Pens. His excuses are lame. Maybe if his attitude would me more like Vitale's he'd be a fixture in the Pens lineup now.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:50 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:No Staal = Pens spend more time in their own zone. Simple as that.

Second, it still bothers me that virtually any team, whether skilled or grinding, can dominate this team for long stretches of time. There just doesn't appear to be any consistent effort or game plan. The team seems to barely hang on to every game. Last night MAF single handedly got us a win. Had he been ordinary, another below average team would have out worked and likely out scored us.

Again, I think it's a lack of identity, even leadership. Despite all the high end skill, we are just squeaking by.

Every team in the league is going to have a couple dominating shifts per game verse any other team.

Also, the Pens are #2 in the NHL in goal differential. I'm not sure that's just squeaking by.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Gaucho wrote:Let's see what Tangradi does when not playing against the Pens. His excuses are lame. Maybe if his attitude would me more like Vitale's he'd be a fixture in the Pens lineup now.

I wonder how much his attitude had to do with Anaheim having no problem getting rid of him after only 2 years from drafting him.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:57 pm

npv708 wrote:Kennedy needs scratched next game. He has been completely useless.

14 - 71 - 18
19 - 87 - 9
17 - 16 - 24
10 - 46 - 27

:thumb: ~ that is what I wrote last night during the game. Although, I'm fine with TK playing.

FLOWER; don't want to upset anyone's daily planner, but it would be good to have him playing maybe 2 for 1 or 3 to 1 for Vokoun.
Craig Adams deserves a night in spotlight after being the player rep and all that junk during the fall.
I think once Niskanen gets his ice legs back, I hope the pairs return , with maybe a bortuzzo/matty N pair.
They'll want D Engelland to be in the line up for fly-boys , no doubt though.
*maybe quiet, but solid, games will be what brandon sutter will bring; I'll adjust, but I would like to see him too, put a couple goals in. Stronger on the puck to get it out of the D zone too on PK.

The D will be challenge with Buffalo's scoring. Of course, it could be the game, Sid and Gene puts its together on Miller. Tomorrow, except for the start time, should be a great game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:05 pm

I'll be surprised if boychuk is on this roster in 2 months.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Surprised, and a little depressed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins