Game 15 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 15 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Rylan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 pm

/sarcasm
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Did people say similar things about mario?

"AMAGAWD GUISE MAREEYO DIDNT SCORE 10 GOALS 10 DIFFERENT WAYS HE SUXX()RZ"
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Rylan wrote:/sarcasm

Sometimes you just never know on this board :P
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:28 pm

I know. Not your fault, it was mine for not being more clear. I am a huge Fleury fan so I just like to poke fun at people that detract from him for stupid reasons.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:56 am

So the Pens stayed over in Winnipeg Friday night. I wonder if they prank called Tangradi's hotel room throughout the night.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:35 am

Kennedy's got some trade value to a playoff team, like the Predators, who might look at him and say 20 goal potential from the 3rd line? 26 yrs old? Okay, we need scoring depth... But then they'll ask why a playoff team is trading him, and might start to scratch their heads. I think he'll be a more attractive asset to a developing team looking for a guy who's got experience, but is still young enough to be around for some good years, like the Isle or Avs.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:38 am

Tico Rick wrote:So the Pens stayed over in Winnipeg Friday night. I wonder if they prank called Tangradi's hotel room throughout the night.

hehe, cold nights in Winterpeg
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 am

tfrizz wrote:
Rylan wrote:wow 12th in the league, god Fleury is average at best.

Not quite. There have been 40 goalies play in the NHL this season, so average would be 20th. He's also got the best GAA of any goalie in the Atlantic Division and 5th best of any in the Eastern Conference.

I like Fleury, and he has been playing very well as far as wins and every other stat goes, but let's be honest - for him it is all about the playoffs. To that end, the most disturbing thing about his game is his penchant for soft goals. He has played so well lately that these are almost the ONLY ones he gives up, but in the playoffs soft goals are back-breakers.

I really hope he can clean that up, because I watch a TON of hockey and the goaltenders around the league that are at the top of the pile do not give those up as regularly as Fleury.

I'd still like to see him be more consistent with his rebound control as well. Again, not saying he isn't a very good goalie, but that would make him great. If he is great, the Pens will be a VERY hard out come playoffs.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:55 am

pcm wrote:Kennedy's got some trade value to a playoff team, like the Predators, who might look at him and say 20 goal potential from the 3rd line? 26 yrs old? Okay, we need scoring depth... But then they'll ask why a playoff team is trading him, and might start to scratch their heads. I think he'll be a more attractive asset to a developing team looking for a guy who's got experience, but is still young enough to be around for some good years, like the Isle or Avs.

Yeah Kennedy's offensive potential would be helpful to an offensively challenged team, but I'm not sure what he'd bring in terms of a D or another wing. I suppose that using one of the younger D prospects along with him could bring a decent return, but he has shown in the playoffs to be a contributor. It's always hard to give up a guy who has shown that for someone without a playoff track record.

I'd trade him for another guy (D or F) who has been in the playoffs and has a track record as well though. At this point, I'm not sure we need another D though. It's all about the progress that Bortuzzo and Despres make before the deadline. Only one of them has to be counted on, and we may just need to add a veteran 6th/7th D. Eaton is not that guy for sure.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Rylan wrote:wow 12th in the league, god Fleury is average at best.

stuff happens even to j quick, GAA 2.70 with 3 wins.
Fleury knows as does Snapshot, as does all, redemption for these penguins won't come until April, May :?:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:20 pm

I really don't think we need another D. If Blysma doesn't trust Engelland in the playoffs (and he didn't last season), then he should be playing Despres & Bortuzzo, giving them plenty of ice time to find their confidence, work out their expected rookie mistakes, etc. But personally, I think those two would provide an x-factor to our bottom pairing that would help push the Pens over the top.

I do think Shero will need to add another forward. The Pens have not gotten sufficient secondary scoring in the postseason since they won the cup. Neal + our defensive firepower help, but adding a gritty Kunitz 2.0 would go a long way to giving the Pens that edge. That player doesn't even necessarily need to be a top 6 guy. The Pens just need scoring depth, and they will definitely need to find a way to get their 3rd line going if they hope to make a run.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:24 pm

*reports saying R Bortuzzo is playing today~ all good, but that S Despres will be scratched. :(
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins