Game 15 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 15 vs. Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Boychuk has outplayed the best player in the world in multiple games this season at even strength. What more do you want from him?! His entire line isn't producing, however he's created more chances than Neal has. Our even strength game is bad across the board right now. The kid deserves to play from what I've seen. Statistics are important no doubt; but when nobody's putting them up you have to use your eyes.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:43 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Boychuk has outplayed the best player in the world in multiple games this season at even strength.

Z has had some good shifts, but this notion simply is not true. At least not imho.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 pm

kennedy had a really nice play i think in the first period where he was coming in on a 1 on 2, and went wide on one of the d men, and dipped his shoulder to get past him, and got a decent shot on net. He is working out there, and is generating chances. That whole line stinks, and i really think it's more to do with sutter than anything else.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 pm

There's no way that's true. I'd question the "he's created chances" thing too. There is some merit to "no one else is doing anything, so why not" but not really that much when you're talking about a guy who had years to try to break into a mediocre team and couldn't pull it off.

Edit...this is about "z" not tk.

Tk hasn't been very good but Sutter isn't exactly wonderful at ES either.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:50 pm

KG wrote:
npv708 wrote:Kennedy needs scratched next game. He has been completely useless.

I'd say this is what I would do next game:

14 - 71 - 18
19 - 87 - 9
17 - 16 - 24
10 - 46 - 27

58 - 2
7 - 44
41 - 47

If BB shows he can stay in the lineup, then it's probably curtains for TK. I'd move TK, Jeffrey, prospect for a top 6 forward....if possible...

I don't know how that would work.

3rd liner
fringe NHLer
unproven commodity

for

established top 6 foreward

It just doesn't work.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Years? Not everyone breaks into the league when they're 21. I do know that most if not all of the scoring chances for Geno came off passes from Z and vice versa. If Geno pots even two of those layups we probably aren't having this conversation. I don't have a vested interest in him but if we fail to cultivate a good player because of Tyler Kennedy I have to question the way Bylsmas runs the team. You could say the same thing about Bortuzzo and Engelland.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:57 pm

What about the scoring chances Geno created for Z? Do you honestly think Z has shown enough to justify sacrificing TK, who, for all his shortcomings, has been a solid player for us for 4+ seasons? Again, Z has done some good things, but let's get real.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
KG wrote:

14 - 71 - 18
19 - 87 - 9
17 - 16 - 24
10 - 46 - 27

58 - 2
7 - 44
41 - 47

If BB shows he can stay in the lineup, then it's probably curtains for TK. I'd move TK, Jeffrey, prospect for a top 6 forward....if possible...

3rd liner
fringe NHLer
unproven commodity

for

It just doesn't work.

For a pending UFA it could possibly work. I'm not talking Iginla or anything. But maybe someone on a lesser scale who is a UFA to be...Brendan Morrow maybe?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:19 pm

KG wrote:For a pending UFA it could possibly work. I'm not talking Iginla or anything. But maybe someone on a lesser scale who is a UFA to be...Brendan Morrow maybe?

Maybe. Morrow is in rough shape right now. He's a total shell of what he used to be.

I'd certainly look at putting something together for Clowe. He's come down last year and this year, is out of favor with the Sharks, but has shown he can produce, play at both ends of the ice, PK, play physical, and be an all around younger Kunitz type of player. If a guy like that could be had for cheap that's a move I would look at.

Other than that you have

Jagr
Ryder
Penner
MacArthur
Cleary
Sullivan
Raymond

And that's really all you're looking at as far as attainable and upcoming UFA.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby abwvu1 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:37 pm

11 goals in 15 games. James Neal is indeed the Real FN Deal

Beau Bennett is gonna be a solid contributor for years to come.

Crosby 2nd in the league in scoring? Wow!

MAF starting to heat up but we need Vokoun to spell MAF from time to time.

I expect another 5-6 goal outburst against Buffalo. Their D is wretched.
abwvu1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:38 pm

I have a man crush on Joe Vitale.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Another thought that occurred to me after reading some statistical analysis of the hockey season so far on Grantland and looking at the Pens' current stats. When Grantland was analyzing the performance of players who had under-achieved so far this season, one thing they looked at to determine whether or not they were likely to break out sooner or later was shooting percentage. They made the case that while shooting percentage is, obviously, somewhat dependent on skill, there is also an element of luck to it, meaning that players with shooting percentages well below their career average are likely to revert to that average sooner or later not through any change in their play, but just in terms of a return to statistical normalcy.

With that in mind, I looked up Malkin's shooting percentage. His career average is 12.9%, while his current season average is 6.4%, implying that normally, Malkin would have 6 goals at this point instead of 3, and that if he keeps playing exactly the same way he's playing, his goal scoring rate should pick up. Of course, I agree with others that there's something off with Malkin right now, but it is plausible to attribute some of his lack of production just to being "snake-bitten".

Also of note with Malkin is that his shots per game are down from ~3.7 for his career average to ~3.1, so it does seem true that he is shooting less than in the past, but not by much.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:43 pm

shmenguin wrote:There's no way that's true. I'd question the "he's created chances" thing too. There is some merit to "no one else is doing anything, so why not" but not really that much when you're talking about a guy who had years to try to break into a mediocre team and couldn't pull it off.

Edit...this is about "z" not tk.

Tk hasn't been very good but Sutter isn't exactly wonderful at ES either.

I thought he definitely gave Malkin a couple gilt-edge chances that Malkin happened not to bury. I thought he was competent with Malkin's line overall. I don't view him as a long term solution in the top 6 but I don't have a problem with him being on the team moving forward and potentially permanently in a third line role (assuming the right mix of linemates given Boychuk's limitations).
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:51 pm

I didn't watch this game, but IMO, Malkin seems like he's still in KHL mode to me. He's looked a little too pretty this season. I also get the impression he's pretty much doing whatever he wants on the ice.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:51 pm

1. MAF was outstanding. Stole two points for the Pens.

2. Vitale continues to impress. His play on CFA's first goal is the sort of stuff the Pens need MOAR of from the rest of the team at ES. Great hustle put the defender in a tough position, and when he made the wrong choice (to poke check), Vitale made him pay.

3. CFA gets an easy one to lead the game off. What were those 4 Jets doing watching him get 3 chances at it? LOL. Nice to get goals from somewhere other than Crosby's line or James Neal.

4. Bennett looked like he belonged in the NHL. Good speed, seemed to get himself in the middle of things when he was out there, and a few nifty plays with the puck. Still think he looks too light for a full season, but then the Pens aren't playing a full season.

5. Malkin is playing awful in the offensive zone.

6. Both Crosby and Malkin need to stop pulling up on the RW boards and trying to pass cross ice EVERY TIME. Occasionally they should dart into the center lane from that position and try to penetrate towards the goal, if only to keep the defenders honest. That cross-ice passing has become so predictable that defenders wait for it, especially the late backchecker. Driving the slot, even at other times, seems to be something Crosby and Malkin have forgotten about doing. If Geno wants to do more full circles behind the net on his backhand, maybe he should quit hockey and go figure skate.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
KG wrote:

14 - 71 - 18
19 - 87 - 9
17 - 16 - 24
10 - 46 - 27

58 - 2
7 - 44
41 - 47

3rd liner
fringe NHLer
unproven commodity

for

It just doesn't work.

Memories of the Kunitz, Kennedy, 1st for Rick Nash thread.

Seriously I see us dumping these guys at the deadline for situational trades (upcoming UFA for teams so far out of the playoffs), but it will still take high end prospects. And I'm not sure what will be available. That being said - Kennedy and Jeffrey and a prospect for a top 6 winger would be laughed off of the phone.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
KG wrote:For a pending UFA it could possibly work. I'm not talking Iginla or anything. But maybe someone on a lesser scale who is a UFA to be...Brendan Morrow maybe?

Maybe. Morrow is in rough shape right now. He's a total shell of what he used to be.

I'd certainly look at putting something together for Clowe. He's come down last year and this year, is out of favor with the Sharks, but has shown he can produce, play at both ends of the ice, PK, play physical, and be an all around younger Kunitz type of player. If a guy like that could be had for cheap that's a move I would look at.

Other than that you have

Jagr
Ryder
Penner
MacArthur
Cleary
Sullivan
Raymond

The problem is teams have to be out of the playoffs for these to work. Morrow hasn't been good but why would the Stars trade anyone for a prospect? They need the playoffs and money and are playing well now, the Sharks aren't trading anyone for prospects, any team in the hunt isn't dumping a next year UFA at the deadline if they are close enough to a playoff spot.

Then it would come down to a hockey trade and nobody is taking Jeffrey or TK in a hockey trade.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

Other than that you have

Jagr
Ryder
Penner
MacArthur
Cleary
Sullivan
Raymond

I certainly hope they don't bring Sullivan back
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:25 pm

KG wrote:

14 - 71 - 18
19 - 87 - 9
17 - 16 - 24
10 - 46 - 27

58 - 2
7 - 44
41 - 47

If BB succeeds on Malkin's line, why would we need a top 6 forward?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Rylan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Who is "Z"?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Rylan wrote:Who is "Z"?

I'm pretty sure he's Boychuk. Silly nickname.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Flower and the 4th line were the difference makers. I actually thought TK had one of his better games of the season. Paul Martin is a rock back there. Time for me to eat crow...Yum.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:12 pm

pugilist13 wrote:Flower and the 4th line were the difference makers. I actually thought TK had one of his better games of the season. Paul Martin is a rock back there. Time for me to eat crow...Yum.

Flower is quietly off to a good start to the season. He's got a 7-3-0 record with 2 of those losses coming in the team-wide stinkers against Toronto and NY Islanders and his 2.26 GAA puts him 12th in the league with Ellis and Halak both ahead of him with only 5 games played.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:19 pm

wow 12th in the league, god Fleury is average at best.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Rylan wrote:wow 12th in the league, god Fleury is average at best.

Not quite. There have been 40 goalies play in the NHL this season, so average would be 20th. He's also got the best GAA of any goalie in the Atlantic Division and 5th best of any in the Eastern Conference.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins