Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 am

The Snapshot wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
malksby8771 wrote:I feel bad for all my previous Martin bashing moments last year. I knew that Martin, Z pairing was responsible for a lot of goals against but I'm starting to think it was more of Z's inability to adjust to our uptempo style that threw that pairing out of synch. Martin once again had a huge game and is our bounceback player of the year so far. Great for him.


I am not going to go back and look for the old posts, but I said multiple times last year that Michalek was the anchor around Martin's neck. Didn't realize how good Marting would be, but I knew he would be better for getting rid of his partner.


That argument is fine, but then how to you explain the previous season? I think Martin just had a bad year.


I think Michalek was horrible both years, and Martin wasn't very good in either of those years as well. I'm assuming you are saying Martin was good in the 1st year, but I don't agree. He was worse last year for sure, but he wasn't very good in year 1.

To me the pairing suffered more from Michalek's complete ineptitude last year - and Martin ended up trying to do too much. He's a player that thrived in NJ adding just a little creativity from within a very structure plan there. Now being paired with Orpik, they have a much more structured way of playing - not to mention that Orpik doesn't lose every puck battle in the corner or get muscled in front. The fact that Michalek was so soft didn't really augment Martin's game either - since he is a "stick on puck" guy instead of a banger.


I didn't think Martin was good, but he wasn't hurting the Pens most nights he played.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,673
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Guinness on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 am

The Malkin-Crosby-Neal tic-tac-toe play was only topped by The Tang's pass to Dupuis, as well as and unfortunately by the the lolwut save by Miller on the aforementioned Neal shot.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:50 am

-Pens played 5 minutes of good hockey to start the game and 10 at the end, Flower did the rest.
-BB flubbed a few but hard to go from 3rd line duties with uncomfortable Sutter and invisible TK to top line with Evbrainfogi Malkin.
-Who needs Kunitz more, Sid n Duper or Geno n Neal? Reunite them HCDB!
-Vitale and Adams are playing great, Glass not far behind but I'm a little underwhelmed (but not sure why).
-Nisky doesn't look to be bouncing back as well as Letang, I'd pair Letang-Despres, Nisky-Bortuzzo while he gets his game back.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Ash UK

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 pm

man if geno starts to catch fire this team will be unstoppable. Its not like hes playing bad but every time he walks in with a shot i expect a goal or at least most times since hes done it in the past. I feel like too often hes trying so hard to pick spots and hes missing wide a lot. Hes had his chances but needs to convert more and if he does he will be fine. Maybe its mental i dont know but i know when he isnt scoring he gets down so i know a few goals will give him loads of confidence.

also sort of feel bad for sutter because hes playing well and could have a few more goals but his linemates are always changing. I hope he can get some consistent line mates so he can develop some chemistry. Still really like him though.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,346
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Gaucho wrote:Looks like we found a pretty good PP QB in Paul Martin, even though PKers do not have to worry about his shot from the point.


No, but he makes that Gonchar-style shot-pass that tends to get through pretty often. They do have to worry about Sid lurking around the net in that circumstance, and it gets difficult to defend 60 feet.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,210
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 pm

martin is also like gonchar in the sense that he is really good at keeping the puck in at the blue line
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,573
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Looks like we found a pretty good PP QB in Paul Martin, even though PKers do not have to worry about his shot from the point.


No, but he makes that Gonchar-style shot-pass that tends to get through pretty often. They do have to worry about Sid lurking around the net in that circumstance, and it gets difficult to defend 60 feet.


i agree his shot isnt spectacular or anything but he knows how to get it on net and throws shots through that get deflected home. Like he did in the Caps game and Flyers game and he might have done it a few more but those 2 stand out. This team looks for a perfect shot but as much as you hate people saying it, playing simple like getting it on net looking for deflections is how you are going to score.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,346
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby thepittman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Image

I take the risk of posting the DB seizure dancing pic. Do to me as you will.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:07 pm

that was DB's attempt to get a Harlem Shake video started



that's a thing right? harlem shake?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,573
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Guinness on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:08 pm

thepittman wrote:Image

I take the risk of posting the DB seizure dancing pic. Do to me as you will.


Seems like he was holding back from blowing up about something... I think he should have just let 'er rip...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:09 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Looks like we found a pretty good PP QB in Paul Martin, even though PKers do not have to worry about his shot from the point.


No, but he makes that Gonchar-style shot-pass that tends to get through pretty often. They do have to worry about Sid lurking around the net in that circumstance, and it gets difficult to defend 60 feet.


i agree his shot isnt spectacular or anything but he knows how to get it on net and throws shots through that get deflected home. Like he did in the Caps game and Flyers game and he might have done it a few more but those 2 stand out. This team looks for a perfect shot but as much as you hate people saying it, playing simple like getting it on net looking for deflections is how you are going to score.


i mean...we saw over 20-30 games last year that his shot from the point was completely ineffective. i'd wait for a bigger sample size before coming to these conclusions.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,405
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby thepittman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Guinness wrote:
thepittman wrote:Image

I take the risk of posting the DB seizure dancing pic. Do to me as you will.


Seems like he was holding back from blowing up about something... I think he should have just let 'er rip...

It was right after the second goal for buffalo or the crosby penalty I can't remember. I really thought he was about to strangle someone on the bench.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Beveridge on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Think it was after glass's penalty to put them down 2 men.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,282
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:32 pm

those head moves are from the Disco days~ was it when miller made the save james neal? maybe?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,491
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 pm

That gif has Harlem Shake potential. Not that there's anything right with that. :pop:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,153
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby joe icepick on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:07 pm

I think there was some foamy **** coming out of his ears and mouth. Getting to Martin on the point. One thing about a slower shot it is easier to deflect and he does put on net.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 pm
Location: Somewhere in the Allegheny Mountains

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Penspal on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:36 pm

- Sabres missed a lot on good quality chances (that makes me uneasy and I'm not taking anything other than the 2 pts from this game)
- I see that Glass tweeted some respect out to McCormick for not breaking his face when the jersey got up early
- Tyler Myers is a beast and he was benched two games recently. GMRS needs to keep an eye on him and Buffalo, if it goes off the rails, and he's available, I'd trade TWO d prospects for this guy, plus a roster guy.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,392
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:49 pm

I'd like Myers, but not at what he would cost + his cap hit (he's making $5.5 mil)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,710
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Penspal wrote:- Tyler Myers is a beast and he was benched two games recently. GMRS needs to keep an eye on him and Buffalo, if it goes off the rails, and he's available, I'd trade TWO d prospects for this guy, plus a roster guy.


Kennedy, Grant, and Ruopp?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,706
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Penspal wrote:- Tyler Myers is a beast and he was benched two games recently. GMRS needs to keep an eye on him and Buffalo, if it goes off the rails, and he's available, I'd trade TWO d prospects for this guy, plus a roster guy.


Kennedy, Grant, and Ruopp?


He's more valuable than that. Would start with Despres, Harrington +
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,710
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:18 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Penspal wrote:- Tyler Myers is a beast and he was benched two games recently. GMRS needs to keep an eye on him and Buffalo, if it goes off the rails, and he's available, I'd trade TWO d prospects for this guy, plus a roster guy.


Kennedy, Grant, and Ruopp?


He's more valuable than that. Would start with Despres, Harrington +


Pass.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,706
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Shakes on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Gaucho wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Penspal wrote:- Tyler Myers is a beast and he was benched two games recently. GMRS needs to keep an eye on him and Buffalo, if it goes off the rails, and he's available, I'd trade TWO d prospects for this guy, plus a roster guy.


Kennedy, Grant, and Ruopp?


He's more valuable than that. Would start with Despres, Harrington +


Pass.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Whoa, Grant in a trade proposal (even as a joke)? Craziness.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,390
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:13 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Whoa, Grant in a trade proposal (even as a joke)? Craziness.


How so? I mean, it was a joke, obviously.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,706
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 pm

I mean, just any mentioning of his name, really, hahaha
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,390
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Defence21 and 5 guests

e-mail