Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 16 vs. Sabres - Thopughts from the morning after

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Strangely enough, Jake Muzzin made it to the NHL instead of - or at least sooner than - the once promising Alex Grant.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:39 pm

NHL has restored the assists to Malkin and Kunitz on the Crosby PP goal...
Code: Select all
2   1   1:27   PP   PIT   87 S.CROSBY(7)   71 E.MALKIN(15)   14 C.KUNITZ(13)   7, 14, 18, 29, 71, 87   3, 6, 30, 36, 55

Code: Select all
© Copyright 2013, National Hockey League  2013-02-18-14.19.40
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Conspiracy
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Myers is arguably Buffalo's best player behind Miller. I bet trade talks would start with Niskanen + Despres/Bennett + Harrington/Maata, etc. Kid is good though.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 pm

I like Myers, but I hope we're not stockpiling promising young defensemen just to trade them for other promising defensemen.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 am

Gaucho wrote:I like Myers, but I hope we're not stockpiling promising young defensemen just to trade them for other promising defensemen.

Gaucho, I know that you know dmen and are a visionary (only other person to pick Orpik in the Pick a pen last game :thumb: ), but Myers is well past "promising", he's not played well of late and getting benched for it. Not sure why, but maybe a change is what he needs. Myers is the whole package and he minutes for breakfast, lunch, supper and late night snack.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:31 am

Myers is barely 23.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 am

Penspal wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I like Myers, but I hope we're not stockpiling promising young defensemen just to trade them for other promising defensemen.

Gaucho, I know that you know dmen and are a visionary (only other person to pick Orpik in the Pick a pen last game :thumb: ), but Myers is well past "promising", he's not played well of late and getting benched for it. Not sure why, but maybe a change is what he needs. Myers is the whole package and he minutes for breakfast, lunch, supper and late night snack.

I really have no idea what a fair deal involving Myers would look like. What DTMB proposed sounds like a huge overpayment to me, but I could be wrong. I just don't know. It doesn't seem to address our needs either.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby OutofFoil on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 am

Watched Myers play for Klagenfurt, Austria in his first game over here. Best Dman on the ice by far. Would say best skater, but Gagner was playing also and had a few games to adjust to the differences, besides, it's comparing apples and oranges... He did get player of the game that evening though. Also, a pretty cool guy, a classmate of mine's little bro plays for their U20 team and got us invited for an evening out after the game, him and Gagner wouldn't let anyone else pay for anything and just hung out and had fun with everyone there. Was a great evening. Apologies for seemingly bragging, but it was a great evening and has me following them closer this season.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby Penspal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Sort of getting off topic, but it relates to thoughts after the game and how great I think Myers would be in a Pens uni. I started searching around and found a little article about what's going on with Myers in Buffalo. Copied the following from Scott Cullen on TSN site (reference link below article)

LEANING TOWER
Sabres D Tyler Myers is a 23-year-old in his fourth NHL season and while he appeared to be a franchise defenceman in his first couple of seasons, there has been some decline since, with his start to this season resulting in a few games as a healthy scratch.

"Myers' point production has declined every year and his time on ice is down, from 23:44 per game as a rookie, to 20:02 so far this season. In some ways, the 6-foot-8 blueliner is a victim of his size, because he doesn't play the kind of physical game or with the edge that one might expect from the second-tallest player in the league, but he's also a brilliant skater, which is why he should be the cornerstone of the Sabres' defence, capable of playing 25 minutes per night.

He's already played less than 20 minutes seven times this season, including the last two games, a threshold he missed only five times in 55 games last season, so he's at a relative low point in his value, for both fantasy owners and NHL teams that might come sniffing around the Sabres to see if they are willing to make a change."

From this TSN article by Scott Cullen http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416288
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 pm

there's a zero percent chance the pens are interested in myers.

in addition to there not being a real need for the guy, he's also way too expensive for this team
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins