Not a rumor, just for conversation...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Not a rumor, just for conversation...

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Totally for shyts and gigs, not a rumor, not me being unhappy with Sutter or missing Staal...

Ryan O'Reilly; If the Penguins have a shot, do they go for him? Let's just play "make believe" for a moment and think about what Colorado would accept for this trade. Obviously there are teams with more to give than the Penguins, but again, let's make believe Colorado was ready to deal with Shero. What do you realistically think it would take? I would think Roster player, Prospect and draft pick.

The Penguins obviously are stronger in the prospect department as far as quality roster players they're willing to part with. So, assuming nobody else will out-bid the Pens, how do these sound to you?

Sutter, 2nd round pick, and one of either Morrow, Harrington or Despres.
or
Kennedy, 2nd round pick, and one of either Morrow, Harrington or Despres.

What would you realistically propose?

SECOND PART:
Would you want O'Reilly here? My concern would be him getting Jordan Staal syndrome playing on the third line. Would he? As far as money, he's looking for the $5M range, which is pretty doable with the Pens budget.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Not a rumor, just for conversation...

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:06 pm

I personally don't want to tie up too much money below the top two lines...
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Pitts on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm

If O'Reilly can't, or doesn't want to convert to wing, there is absolutely no reason to trade for him IMO. If you trade for him to put him in the 3rd C spot, he will pull the same shizz with the Pens he is pulling with Colorado. He's a top 6 players and wants to be in the top 6.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm

A simple no shall do for now, so

No.

Colorado wants a top offensive d-man or winger AND a prospect or picks. Plus, there's actually the issue of signing O'Reilly, and I wouldn't pay what he's asking (at this point in his career)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:33 pm

I say no. You can't get rid of sutter. He's doing fine, and he's an RFA so he can be signed to a reasonable contract or if we lose him, Draft picks.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 pm

The only intriguing part of this to me is that O'Reilly has basically put the Avs in a terrible position to negotiate. They can't demand much in a trade given the situation, and that's exactly why no one has started serious conversations with them yet. Whoever ends up with Ryan will undoubtedy end up with the better deal.
Last edited by sil on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 pm

mac5155 wrote:I say no. You can't get rid of sutter. He's doing fine, and he's an RFA so he can be signed to a reasonable contract or if we lose him, Draft picks.

If you could keep Sutter, and still get O'Reilly (at a reasonable rate), would you do it? I would. Two natural centers (Malkin and O'Reilly) can co-exhist on a line.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:39 pm

I wouldn't trade Sutter for O'Reilly straight up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:40 pm

i think there are alot better options out there than O"Reilly. Any deal that gets rid of Sutter leaves a big hole in our line up.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:43 pm

I seriously don't think that getting O'Reilly would mean having to give up Sutter.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:55 pm

sil wrote:I seriously don't think that getting O'Reilly would mean having to give up Sutter.

We'd have to give up more
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm

They need nothing more than a rental on Geno's wing...a Bill Guerin or Gary Roberts type of player who can add some leadership and score a respectable total of points, nothing spectacular.

Two things are certain: 1) they can't go into the playoffs with what they have on Geno's wing now. 2) they can't afford to trade for another superstar who will be here a long time and tie up a ton of cap space. So every indication to me at least is that they will simply get a veteran for the playoff run.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Clarke MacArthur!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Clarke MacArthur!

This is not the forward we're looking for.

Spoiler:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Clarke MacArthur!

That's my thought, as well.

Go get MacArthur and Hainsey. Call it a day.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Maybe O'reilly is as good as he thinks he is, but the reality is, this kid has yet to hit the 20 goal mark. In his three seasons, he's totaled 26, 26, and 55 points. Obviously, there's a big jump from year two to three, but is it realistic to think he'll double his points again? Absolutely not. Heck, I'd find it amazing if he adds another 26 to his total from last season in 2013-14. He might well be a strong player capable of filling a second line role, but I'll be damned if I'd be happy to see Sutter, a top prospect AND a pick sent to Colorado for him. I would trade a 2nd and Kennedy or something thereabouts -- and that's it. He's not yet proven to be other-worldly, as he isn't even a superstar yet. I'd rather save the assets and move them for a proven young player -- not an unproven young player.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

sil wrote:I seriously don't think that getting O'Reilly would mean having to give up Sutter.

I agree. I don't want Sutter gone, I like him. I was just thinking what it would take get O'Reilly. If they would take Kennedy, I wouldn't blink an eye. But one would have to assume they'd want some sort of replacement for that role and would probably want a center.

I like entertaining the idea of getting O'Reilly, but I don't know if he'd start to feel like Staal did and want a bigger role.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:31 pm

OReilly's a second line center in this league. We've already got enough centers.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

I agree. I don't want Sutter gone, I like him. I was just thinking what it would take get O'Reilly. If they would take Kennedy, I wouldn't blink an eye. But one would have to assume they'd want some sort of replacement for that role and would probably want a center.

I like entertaining the idea of getting O'Reilly, but I don't know if he'd start to feel like Staal did and want a bigger role.

Colorado is reportedly asking for a roster player + a top prospect for the rights to O'Reilly. So we're looking at a something like Kennedy + Despres/Bennett/Morrow/etc without knowing whether O'Reilly will even sign.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 pm

His demands are ridiculous. He's young, he had 55 points last year. So what, Chris Kunitz had 61 points last year. He's had 20+ goals 5 of the past 6 seasons. Kunitz makes 3.75mil a season. James Neal has 5 20+ goal seasons in a row, with last year being 40 goals. James Neal makes 5mil a year.

Amazes me these young guys that put up one decent season and demand the world, and even more some idiot GM will pay. Ryan O'Reily is not worth 5mil a year. He's not a 3rd line center, and no guarantee he would move to wing/ be successful as a winger. PASS!

Rather find a player who has shown consistency in putting up the numbers, and can be a top line winger for Sid. It's really time to start giving Sid some help. Kunitz and Dupuis have done admirably, Dupuis over performing, but we need a James Neal for Sid.....and Malkin to star scoring 5on5.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

No. Just no.

Without Landeskog on his line, he has 52 points in 155 games.
With Landeskog on his line, he has 55 points in 81 games.

Not paying $5m for what may be the equivalent of Andy Hilbert.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 pm

O'Reilly is basically a younger Patrice Bergeron...so, it's not really about the offense or the linemates really...he's just a terrific player that is growing a lot offensively and is already quite good defensively...

Whether he's worth $5 million or whatever is a matter for the courts, but he's an awesome young player in this some other league...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Problem Pens are going to have is the only roster player that it wouldnt be counter productive to trade is TK and I doubt teams mean TK when they say roster player.

It would be silly to trade Dupuis or Kunitz in a package for any forward, I just don't see us making any trades beyond deadline deals when teams are wiling to take on prospects.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 am

I don't see any moves until closer to the deadline. If the Stars look out of it, suddenly there are some forwards probably available like Ryder, Ray Whitney and Morrow. These are the kind of forwards(rentals!) Pens would have a chance at acquiring and can play with the top-6, IF healthy.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:49 am

It doesn't make any sense to give up assets plus a $5 million/year long term contract to shore up what isn't a weakness.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins