I'm sure glad we got Beau Bennett to stabalize that 3rd line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: I'm sure glad we got Beau Bennett to stabalize that 3rd

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am

IIRC, Bennett was on the ice with less than four minutes to play against Winnipeg. I'd say that is quite an endorsement. Also, really good players are able and can be counted on to play on all four lines.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 am

I don't really understand what's going on in this thread.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am

pfim wrote:I don't really understand what's going on in this thread.

People think that all players are like Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang and come up right away and are super stars. Development time, adjustments to the pro level and a dozen of other legitimate reasons don't exist.

I know my numbers are off, but he played around 8 games total in college, probably hasn't played more than 40 games at the AHL level and has now played 2, two, TWO, T W O, games at the pro level.

Clearly he should be on top 2 lines and then declared a bust in the next 2 weeks and traded away.

I think I can now be a GM on this board.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 am

Did anyone act like he should be playing at a high level right now? Not in this thread.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 am

No, I get that. But he was getting time with Malkin in the second part of the game and was on the second PP.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 am

Not at a high level, but in a Top 6 role.

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am

I think it's being handled well. Let him get his feet wet on the 3rd line before you throw him in the top six. Boychuck was thrown up there right off the bat and pretty much failed, same with Tangradi the first week. Give him an adjustment period. He'll be there soon.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 am

I think people are acting like he should be playing top 6 either in the NHL or AHL. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:31 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think people are acting like he should be playing top 6 either in the NHL or AHL. I don't see anything wrong with that.

As I said, he is probably good enough to play on all lines, which is a huge plus. It allows the staff to give him a lot of ice time and be comfortable with it. It sets him apart from one-trick ponies like Matt Moulson or PA Parenteau, who would never play in a Top 6 role on a serious contender.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 am

I hope so, but I'd like to see him getting 16-18 minutes a night rather than 10-12. Hopefully they up his minutes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saints11 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 am

mikey287 wrote:
saints11 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett (or swap the sides they play on if you want)
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Kennedy can be swapped with Vitale for the haters. Jeffrey can be swapped for any of the fourth liners for the well wishers.

In 5 or 6 games from now when Bennett is considered a bust and a juice box or whatever that one poster called him, then we can try Boychuk up there so he doesn't have to get involved in anything but finishing off Crosby passes...with Malkin, there's more involved...with Crosby it's just: watch, wait until he draws 4 players to him, then make yourself available for a wide open net, finish. Boychuk can finish, but he can't do all that much else it seems.

Once that fails, then we can panic...
If Boychuk can finish then he is ahead of Kennedy. Being a realist, as opposed to a hater, I'd rather have him on the wing with Sutter. They. Know each other and played in Carolina together. Still, I doubt HCDB removes Kennedy from the line-up. And so it continues...

If Boychuk could play on the bottom two lines he wouldn't have been waived. I wouldn't want him on the third line with Sutter even if they drank milk out of the same bag in kindergarten...know him or not, it doesn't help the team to put Boychuk on a line designed to stop the opposition from scoring. Three guys with "eh" vision at best, one is slowing down quite a bit (Cooke), one is still learning (Sutter) and one doesn't play defense or even meaningfully compete every game (Boychuk)....it's disastrous concoction, IMO. Kennedy might not be a prize pig (hmph, look at that...) but he belongs on the right side of that line or he belongs on another team basically...anything else I think is just silly...

Finally, something I can agree with. Get Kennedy to another team! Boychuk isn't the ideal third line winger; but we have that person playing very well on the first line. If Bennett can play top 6 and if we can acquire another top 6 winger; maybe Dupuis can be that hybrid third line winger with Sutter.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 am

Yeah better demote duper who is scoring goals left and right :pop:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 am

Gaucho wrote: It sets him apart from one-trick ponies like Matt Moulson or PA Parenteau, who would never play in a Top 6 role on a serious contender.

hmmm...not sure about that. we were a serious contender with sykora in the top 6. if these guys are 1 dimensional, sykora was like 1/8th dimensional
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 am

Dupuis has the most even strength goals on the team. Last year he was tied for second with Neal. He's a top 6 forward.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 am

pfim wrote:Dupuis has the most even strength goals on the team. Last year he was tied for second with Neal. He's a top 6 forward.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:03 am

shmenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote: It sets him apart from one-trick ponies like Matt Moulson or PA Parenteau, who would never play in a Top 6 role on a serious contender.

hmmm...not sure about that. we were a serious contender with sykora in the top 6. if these guys are 1 dimensional, sykora was like 1/8th dimensional

Hm, yes, good point. Although I do think that Sykora is better than PA or MM.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 am

Gaucho wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Sykora was also scratched for 6 of the 7 finals games
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:53 am

Stupid Bennett.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:58 am

meow wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Sykora was also scratched for 6 of the 7 finals games

In 09, but not in 08.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 pm

yeah, i was talking about 08. but if you want to go into 09, you had talbot and fedotenko as marginal top 6 players.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 pm

I think sometimes we fans get obsessed with the invisible line between Top 6 and Bottom 6 forwards. Outside of definite 4th line guys who are there only to play 5 minutes and stir up trouble/fight, I'd prefer to have a lineup of forwards that can play up and down the lineup. I want scoring talent that is going to get back and play responsible D, and 3rd and 4th line guys who can also chip in on the score sheet on occasion.
The best thing I can say about Beau Bennett from the little I've seen from him so far is that he looks like an NHL caliber player on offensive, on defense, and in transition. Right now, he is doing that on the 3rd line just fine. If he keeps doing the little things well and playing sound within the system, I'm sure he will get a crack soon at playing with Geno and Neal because A) he has some play making talent and B) has shown a pulse out there.
Lets have this guy ease into the NHL and get used to the speed and strength of the highest level of professional hockey before we determine a quick pass/fail judgement on him and the coaching staffs handling of him.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kharlamov on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 pm

No matter what, fans will always fix something to complain about.

These are the kind that arise when you've won three games in a row.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Or maybe they're the kind that arise when one of the best players in the world has 3 goals in 16 games and there is a blatant hole on their line.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Bylsma on Bennett: "He's a high-end talent and has played well in the offensive zone. ... His play away from the puck has been excellent"
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:20 pm

pfim wrote:Dupuis has the most even strength goals on the team. Last year he was tied for second with Neal. He's a top 6 forward.

It took me 3 seasons to admit this.

I even said things like "Dupuis isn't good enough to wear #9, give him some dumb number like #34."

However now I will admit he's 100% a top 6 winger. Glad he's improved. Hope he gets a 2 year deal.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins