Ray Shero scouting Minnesota/Avalanche game??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ray Shero scouting Minnesota/Avalanche game??

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Wait. How does Mike Yeo know Niskanen?

Am I mistaken? Was Yeo already gone by the time we got Nisky?
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeo was there for the 2 months we had him after the trade.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Mike Yeo left the Pens in June of 2010. We didn't get Niskanen and Neal till February of 2011.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 pm

That's right. I knew this was only his 2nd year with Wild. Forgot about the year he was HC for the AHL team.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 pm

2010-11 was Yeo's first year with the Wild Organization, coaching in Houston. Niskanen arrived in Pittsburgh at the end of that season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:54 pm

I would prefer Mark-Bouchard over Setoguchi. Unless it was Setoguchi for TK straight up. Almost close to one in the same.

Bouchard is a sick assist guy, but he's smaller and has head issues too.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Trading Niskanen would be a horrible mistake. Especially for a big-ol question mark in Setoguchi. I mean, did you watch the games he was gone? It was great to see Despres step up, but the Pens looked a lot weaker back there. With him, they've got the best D-corp in the league.

Maybe in the offseason, you trade him or Martin to open up a spot for Despres. But you don't create that kind of hole as a contender. Besides, Niskanen's value will be much higher if he performs at this level in the playoffs.

I'm not even sure if I'd trade Bortuzzo for Setoguchi. The guy had one good year and has performed at Kennedy's level ever since...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 pm

pcm wrote:Trading Niskanen would be a horrible mistake. Especially for a big-ol question mark in Setoguchi. I mean, did you watch the games he was gone? It was great to see Despres step up, but the Pens looked a lot weaker back there. With him, they've got the best D-corp in the league.

Maybe in the offseason, you trade him or Martin to open up a spot for Despres. But you don't create that kind of hole as a contender. Besides, Niskanen's value will be much higher if he performs at this level in the playoffs.

I'm not even sure if I'd trade Bortuzzo for Setoguchi. The guy had one good year and has performed at Kennedy's level ever since...

I'm not sure its a great move either, but that's the way I'm reading the tea leaves at the moment.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 pm

I wouldn't read too much into Shero scouting that game. He was on his way to Winnepeg. Setoguchi will likely be available as an option, so Shero was probably just using the opportunity to get a closer look at potential wares.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:29 pm

pcm wrote:I wouldn't read too much into Shero scouting that game. He was on his way to Winnepeg. Setoguchi will likely be available as an option, so Shero was probably just using the opportunity to get a closer look at potential wares.

He supposedly was in Minnesota because his son was in a hockey tournament in town. Probably made sense to visit Chuck Fletcher and take in the Wild game. Did they talk about a potential trade maybe, but I don't think that was his primary purpose of being there.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm

pens_CT wrote:
pcm wrote:I wouldn't read too much into Shero scouting that game. He was on his way to Winnepeg. Setoguchi will likely be available as an option, so Shero was probably just using the opportunity to get a closer look at potential wares.

He supposedly was in Minnesota because his son was in a hockey tournament in town. Probably made sense to visit Chuck Fletcher and take in the Wild game. Did they talk about a potential trade maybe, but I don't think that was his primary purpose of being there.

Alright, I'll buy that I suppose. For now.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Heard on NBC sports the Panthers might be ready to have a fire sale, Mckenzie reported it. A few intresting names on that team. Versteeg and his 5 YR 4.4 cap hit comes up first but he is going to cost you a arm and a leg. He is going to cost you Morrow just to get the deal started. Florida wants to rebuild its franchise with some young good players.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Meh, picking over the Panthers would be like picking over a corpse. Their decent players are all signed to bad contracts. Weiss will get auctioned off at the deadline for an arm and a leg, plus he's a center, so not really a fit here. I like some of their prospects, but they're not for sale. Pretty much the only guy I'd be interested in would be Peter Mueller, but should have just signed him in the offseason (except he probably wants to stay in the warm and balmy south).
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:34 pm

pcm wrote:Meh, picking over the Panthers would be like picking over a corpse. Their decent players are all signed to bad contracts. Weiss will get auctioned off at the deadline for an arm and a leg, plus he's a center, so not really a fit here. I like some of their prospects, but they're not for sale. Pretty much the only guy I'd be interested in would be Peter Mueller, but should have just signed him in the offseason (except he probably wants to stay in the warm and balmy south).

Tomas Fleischmann is the guy I'd like to see the Pens make a run for on that team.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Caputi19 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Word ive been told for O'Reilly is top 6 nhl forward, top prospect,pick
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:47 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Tanner Glass is here cause he PKs, was near the league lead in hits, plays at an NHL level embracing his role without a sense of entitlement, and is hard to play against. For 1.1M it's not like he's breaking the bank.

Glass >> Tangradi. As you say, kills penalties, is a prolific hitter, can hold his own in fights, even has chipped in a few goals here in there in his career. Pretty decent stuff for a fourth liner. Also basically all things Tangradi is unable to do. The decision to bring in a guy like that instead of hoping that Tangradi would develop into something that he's not is certainly not something holding the team back from taking it to another level.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joe icepick on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 am

We don't need anymore smurfs, we need more size and speed. Shero is waiting for the deadline i guess. This team will not beat Boston, New Jersey or Philly right now in a 7 game series.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby saints11 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 am

We need to get bigger/faster. Our third line needs to evolve into a force to play against; now it is 3 individuals who seem lost. Bennett got his eyes opened last night, which resulted in his watching from the bench. Despres has to play; either here or in WBS. We need some girth to play Philly. I don't know who Shero is talking to, rumors says it is the AVS. If so it may be ROR; but I also hope it includes David Jones. He has good size and could free up Dupuis to play on the 3rd line or he could solidify it himself.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 am

we don't need to toughen up or get more girth (ewww) to play philly. we were a tougher team than they were last year, and all it got us was an early golf season. the devils handled them without worrying about such things.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins