Ray Shero scouting Minnesota/Avalanche game??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ray Shero scouting Minnesota/Avalanche game??

Postby mac5155 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Call me in a month when tangradi is putting up those numbers against Ottawa.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Well, the Jets aren't a very good hockey team, so I would assume that he would be playing more.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
joe icepick wrote:ok..Letang for Perry, only if we could sign Perry?

That's actually good value, but did you see us play recently without Letang? He still is the stick that stirs the drink back there, even if he only plays 2nd PP unit.

We are scoring enough goals.

That's a straight balanced deal though in my opinion, if Perry signed as a part of the deal.

If Shero thought that Joe Morrow was the 2nd coming of Letang, and was ready for the NHL now, then he might be tempted to do it.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Absolutely not. You don't trade a #1 PMD going into a potential Cup run...the Ducks already have two RHS offensive d-men that they already love anyway...Letang doesn't really help add any dimension to their lineup...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

joe icepick wrote:I have a problem paying Letang 7 mill and doesn't play pp.

We don't pay Letang $7 million, so that's fortunate for us.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joe icepick on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

There're also saying the Lovejoy trade was a steal for the Ducks
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

joe icepick wrote:I wouldn't mind Matt Cullen and Setoguchi

I know there are some huge question marks around Setoguchi and his (lack of) work ethic, but he's a guy that should come cheap and is skilled enough to plug the hole on the 2nd line at the very least.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

joe icepick wrote:There're also saying the Lovejoy trade was a steal for the Ducks

He's been very good for them so far, yes.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Absolutely not. You don't trade a #1 PMD going into a potential Cup run...the Ducks already have two RHS offensive d-men that they already love anyway...Letang doesn't really help add any dimension to their lineup...

The Ducks are 11 -2 or something like that, i don't see them wanting to move anyone. Love how Broudreau got that team winning, makes the Caps front office look bad and makes Ovi and Co. look like babies.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:33 pm

mikey287 wrote:
joe icepick wrote:There're also saying the Lovejoy trade was a steal for the Ducks

I'm glad to hear/see that. I liked Lovejoy's game, there just wasn't room for him in Pittsburgh anymore.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:33 pm

mikey287 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Seto would probably require an NHL ready d-man, not a worker bee like Kennedy...I'd think. I mean, maybe Minnesota doesn't know any better with TK, but given that Yeo is there, he has to know that TK has no upside.

So if you are Minnesota and you want an NHL d-man, do you want somebody like Niskanen or would they settle for Bortuzzo or Dumoulin?

Despres.

Obviously that wouldn't work for the Pens. Not that Despres is untouchable, but you aren't moving him for a guy whose stats have declined every year since his rookie season.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joe icepick on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Despres isn't getting traded for Seto unless it's a bigger deal with others involved.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:39 pm

tfrizz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Setoguchi to the Pens is becoming like Zuburus to the Pens

Thankfully, Zubrus is hurt. I'm not in love with Setoguchi, but I do think he would have more points than the other options for Malkin's line. When I watched the Pens play Winnipeg the other day, there was a guy wearing #27 that looked pretty good. We should ask about him :lol:

Off on a big of a tangent here. I don't know if you happened to catch the Jets/Bruins game on Sunday but Tangradi logged a the 2nd highest TOI of his career with 15:27, picked up another 3 hits, and was on the ice when the Jets were pressing to tie the game late. That's a longer leash than he ever got under HCDB.

He got the leash he desreved. He should have never even been given a minute on Malkin's line because he never earned it, even after he was told his chance was coming.

Call me when he scores a goal. He's playing for a team that will finish tenth and fill their building. He also will get to play the majority of his games against the worst defensive Division in Hockey - so that should help him produce something. I don't care what happens to him any more though.

His comments on the way out only made me hate him more. He is delusional, and that will hold him back even more than his lack of skating ability. If he had the right attitude, he had it made here - but he is ok with just being on the fringe.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:39 pm

joe icepick wrote:Despres isn't getting traded for Seto unless it's a bigger deal with others involved.

I would hunt Ray Shero down....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Right. He is not. But that's probably about where the asking price is...unless the entire league believes that Seto is merely a "project" at this point...I have some decent info, but I'll be the first to say I'm not inside enough to know that kind of thing...it could greatly influence value though if there's word that spreads like that...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm sure Setoguchi is a "you can't teach speed" pundit's dream. You know, bring him here and reclaim that path that he seemed to be on early in SJ. To me at some point you see a player who's make-up is to be "confortable" as a bona-fide NHL player.

He looks to me like that guy, so what you have seen of late is what you will get. He might have better hands and scoring touch, but if we got him I would see it as a minor upgrade over Cooke on that line. The fact is though that he would also allow Cooke to be the 3rd liner he is.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 pm

If Shero expects BB to be a functional top 6 winger by next year, does it make sense to trade away an asset to get Seto?
I know that "allows" the possibility of moving Dupuis to the 3rd line (though is that desirable?); so the alternative is to trade away Kunitz?

Seto could be an real asset for the rest of the year, but then you a situation to deal with next year.
That's all contingent on BB progressing as hoped, of course....
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 pm

The Pens are not in the market for question marks unless they can get them for free.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 pm

tfrizz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Setoguchi to the Pens is becoming like Zuburus to the Pens

Thankfully, Zubrus is hurt. I'm not in love with Setoguchi, but I do think he would have more points than the other options for Malkin's line. When I watched the Pens play Winnipeg the other day, there was a guy wearing #27 that looked pretty good. We should ask about him :lol:

Off on a bit of a tangent here. I don't know if you happened to catch the Jets/Bruins game on Sunday but Tangradi logged a the 2nd highest TOI of his career with 15:27, picked up another 3 hits, and was on the ice when the Jets were pressing to tie the game late. That's a longer leash than he ever got under HCDB.

And now HCDB is doing the same thing with Bennett, having him toil on the 3rd line with the odd shift alongside Crosby or Malkin. If you're going to put a top forward prospect like him in the lineup, you put him on a scoring line and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, send him back down for further development.

I disagree. Bennett is on the third line skating quality minutes with quality players. In doing so, he is forced to play a more gritty, defensive game, which will only help his development. And, at times, he also gets a shift with the big guys. His development isn't being stunted in his current role. Now, if he drops to the fourth line or the press box, I would agree that he'd need to go back to the AHL.

As for Tangradi, he never showed a thing on the fourth line that would lead you to believe he was capable of skating on a scoring line. Contrary to what many believe, you don't have to score goals or create offense to have a positive impact during a shift -- and very rarely did Tangradi do anything worth writing home about that would give the coaches confidence in elevating his role. Just because he played 15 minutes and made three hits the other night doesn't mean he was wasted in Pittsburgh. There are plenty of players that can do that and never amount to jack squat in the NHL.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Right now, the only thing that separates Tangradi from Ryan Stone is 12 more NHL games and 1 more NHL goal.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm

columbia wrote:Right now, the only thing that separates Tangradi from Ryan Stone is 12 more NHL games and 1 more NHL goal.

:thumb: :wink:
points for me in remembering him! it was the season of ryans!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 pm

I really don't understand people still complaining about Tangradi. He didn't fit here, he didn't make an effort in the chances he received, he needed to go. If he finds success somewhere else great but when you're trying to say Shero made a mistake or he was mismanaged in a roundabout way and the only thing you can come up with is hits then you're just in denial.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Was watching the Buffalo/Winnipeg game, thought, "hmm, Tangradi is out there a lot it seems..."

At this point in the tilt, no Jet forward has more even strength ice time than Eric Tangradi.

Not saying anything about that, just saying it because I'm not sure how much I'll ever get to say that...also add that to the "better than Ryan Stone" list. Oh Generation X...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:27 pm

mikey287 wrote:Was watching the Buffalo/Winnipeg game, thought, "hmm, Tangradi is out there a lot it seems..."

At this point in the tilt, no Jet forward has more even strength ice time than Eric Tangradi.

Not saying anything about that, just saying it because I'm not sure how much I'll ever get to say that...also add that to the "better than Ryan Stone" list. Oh Generation X...

Do you think the Jets are going to give him the Chris Bourque treatment and if nothing surfaces cut bait at the end of the season?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 pm

tfrizz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

I'm glad to hear/see that. I liked Lovejoy's game, there just wasn't room for him in Pittsburgh anymore.

He's got 3 points in the 6 games he's played for the so far.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins