Eaton released

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eaton released

Postby largegarlic on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Like everyone else, I seriously doubt that Eaton can be effective in the NHL when he wasn't even healthy enough to play in WBS, but I always liked him and remember what a revelation it was when he first signed with the Pens to see a competent defensive d-man on the ice. Maybe he can find some deer antler spray and regain his form for a couple months.

That said, I think the suggestion that Shero might be thinking about trading a d-man would make more sense. I've been wondering if the market for deadline rentals this year is going to be too crazy, since so many teams have cap space now, but won't come next season. Maybe Shero thinks the only way he's going to fill the hole in the top 6 is to trade for someone under contract, which would require a bigger trade chip (e.g. Despres) than a rental would.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Meh to minny. Wouldn't give up either Despres or Niskanen for Setoguchi if that's what people are thinking.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:49 pm

joopen wrote:
The U wrote:Maybe Shero is close to or entertaining the idea of moving a defenseman for a winger and he wants a vet like Eaton to be the 7th defenseman for the time being?

If Despres or Bortuzzo were moved, somebody has to sit on the press box as dman #7. Maybe he'd rather have Eaton in the press box not playing than one of our young guys from WBS.

This is the only thing that even remotely makes any sense. I have a hard time believing he will be playing over Despres, Bortuzzo, or even Engelland at this point. It makes my head hurt.

Trading Despres would seem to make zero sense, especially with MIN.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:52 pm

columbia wrote:
joopen wrote:
The U wrote:Maybe Shero is close to or entertaining the idea of moving a defenseman for a winger and he wants a vet like Eaton to be the 7th defenseman for the time being?

If Despres or Bortuzzo were moved, somebody has to sit on the press box as dman #7. Maybe he'd rather have Eaton in the press box not playing than one of our young guys from WBS.

This is the only thing that even remotely makes any sense. I have a hard time believing he will be playing over Despres, Bortuzzo, or even Engelland at this point. It makes my head hurt.

Trading Despres would seem to make zero sense, especially with MIN.

Agreed unless we can create some kind of magic spell that will make Minny give us Mikko.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:56 pm

More from the tweeter:

Will DePaoli ‏@TIOPS_DePaoli
Veteran defenseman Mark Eaton hopes to "impress" over next few days and sign with #Penguins to add depth http://shar.es/YP6rn

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Eaton doesn't have a contract with the Penguins, and there's no guarantee he ever will. But he absolutely is a legit candidate to be signed.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
Eaton says he knows coaches, a lot of players and can fit in again with #Penguins

Brian Metzer ‏@Brian_Metzer
RT @pgshelly Eaton says he's healthy and wants to continue skating with#Penguins in hopes of being signed.

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Eaton: Unsigned guys are skating with teams to get a look at them. Hopefully I can impress ( #Pens ) and end up here. That's long-term goal

Mark Eaton: "In 09 (Cup Winning season) we had 8 or 9 NHL defenseman. Can never have too many defensemen"

Mark Eaton: "Interest from both sides".

Eaton hoping to eventually be signed by #Penguins
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm

huge distraction for laviolette tonight~ eaton in or out!
;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm

If Eaton is signed then Lovejoy should never have been traded. Its really that simple.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:03 pm

I can break out the Eaton jersey if he signs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dan H on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:32 pm

It's just too bad Mark Eaton's time with the Pens never overlapped Richard Park's. And that one plays D and the other plays up. I want to see the Eaton-Park pairing.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Dan H wrote:It's just too bad Mark Eaton's time with the Pens never overlapped Richard Park's. And that one plays D and the other plays up. I want to see the Eaton-Park pairing.

Former NHL forward Richard Park?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:50 pm

Don't want to sign Eaton (Nostalgia experiments seem utterly pointless and he ain't exactly Jagr/AK!)
If we sign Eaton why did we ship Lovejoy? Is Shero just making sure developing/developed talent gets a fair shot elsewhere?
Don't want to trade Despres or Bort (they have really contributed and I prefer seeing either in over Engel - and I'm a fan of Deryk)
Don't want to trade Nisky unless we get D in return (seems pointless)
#baffled
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 pm

sil wrote:
Dan H wrote:It's just too bad Mark Eaton's time with the Pens never overlapped Richard Park's. And that one plays D and the other plays up. I want to see the Eaton-Park pairing.

He pretty clearly acknowledged that one of them being a forward made that a problem.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:

He pretty clearly acknowledged that one of them being a forward made that a problem.

I'm confused and befuddled by the whole premise?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 pm

sil wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:

I'm confused and befuddled by the whole premise?

They didnt play for the pens during the same time period. One is a D. The other F.

If the opposite of that stuff existed, and the DID play on the same team and both DID play Defense, we could have them had the possible Eaton-Park pairing (Eat N' Park)
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Eaton Park!

Got it...and LOVE it!

(also, Eat 'n Park's are quickly dying away here in central PA :/ )
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 pm

There is a Pittsburgh based restaurant known as Eat'n Park. What Dan H was hoping for was to see a pairing of players with the last names Eaton and Park so that on the lineup card, it would read as Eaton Park, which is pretty close, and pronounced the same as the previously mentioned restaurant, Eat'n Park.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:

This is exactly what i was thinking. If the rumors are true about shero and minny, it probably involves a dman on our current roster... which would open up a spot for a 7th dman with experience ... enter eaton.

Also got to figure he would be in a mentoring roll for our young guys. I couldn't pick a better guy to teach positioning to.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TwoSheds on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:There is a Pittsburgh based restaurant known as Eat'n Park. What Dan H was hoping for was to see a pairing of players with the last names Eaton and Park so that on the lineup card, it would read as Eaton Park, which is pretty close, and pronounced the same as the previously mentioned restaurant, Eat'n Park.

Sort of like when the Steelers had Walter Abercrombie and were trying to sign the Kicker Tony Fritch. :scared:
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Luckybreak wrote:If we sign Eaton why did we ship Lovejoy? Is Shero just making sure developing/developed talent gets a fair shot elsewhere?

Yes. Period. Shero was giving Lovejoy a chance to make his shot at the NHL knowing there was no longer room for him here with the young D coming through the pipe.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Mark Eaton had the best PPG average of his entire career during the 2009 Stanley Cup playoffs. Respec'
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Yeah, not sure I get the Lovejoy reference. I'd rather have a fifth round pick and Eaton in the press box than have Lovejoy sitting in the press box.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 pm

I never paid attention to him in NY... Has he really fallen that much apart? Some of the recollections of him itt i don't really agree with..
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 pm

At this point in his career Eaton makes Lovejoy look like Ray Bourque.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:If Eaton is signed then Lovejoy should never have been traded. Its really that simple.

Two points here...

1. Shero has shown a compassion for depth players who might have a better shot at a bigger role with other teams. Keeping Lovejoy as an extra wasn't advancing his career, so it's entirely possible he sent him to Anaheim knowing he'd have a better shot at playing everyday. It's an admirable trait in a GM, and one that will help solidify the Penguins as a classy organization for free agents to consider.

2. Lovejoy is a dime-a-dozen extra. Eaton is as well. They're not hard to find. Moving Lovejoy and (maybe) signing Eaton allowed Shero to retain an asset for a seldom-used player, then replace him with a veteran who will be used seldom.

Anyone who thinks Eaton would be anything other than a healthy scratch extra really isn't seeing the reality here. I'm not saying this is a great idea, but it certainly isn't bad. I can think of many worse defenders who are skating regular shifts in the NHL right now.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Me and a buddy at work used to say the only think Mark Eaton was doing was 'Eaton More Benchtime' ahahah

It's a complete joke.

This guy shouldn't have any minutes of Despres or Bortuzzo or I'm going to throw a fit. Terrible management by Shero. No way Eaton is even close to as good as Strait is right now. This is just terrible, terrible. Eaton's experience doesn't overtake the fact that he's not that great. Eaton-Letang was the bottom pairing in the cup year, don't be fooled. Eaton is done. This is stupid.

No Shero. Why?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins