Eaton released

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eaton released

Postby columbia on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Why don't we wait to see if Shero signs Eaton and benches someone else, before condemning the man?
Last edited by columbia on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:If Eaton is signed then Lovejoy should never have been traded. Its really that simple.

Two points here...

1. Shero has shown a compassion for depth players who might have a better shot at a bigger role with other teams. Keeping Lovejoy as an extra wasn't advancing his career, so it's entirely possible he sent him to Anaheim knowing he'd have a better shot at playing everyday. It's an admirable trait in a GM, and one that will help solidify the Penguins as a classy organization for free agents to consider.

2. Lovejoy is a dime-a-dozen extra. Eaton is as well. They're not hard to find. Moving Lovejoy and (maybe) signing Eaton allowed Shero to retain an asset for a seldom-used player, then replace him with a veteran who will be used seldom.

Anyone who thinks Eaton would be anything other than a healthy scratch extra really isn't seeing the reality here. I'm not saying this is a great idea, but it certainly isn't bad. I can think of many worse defenders who are skating regular shifts in the NHL right now.

I agree with your stuff bro, but it is bad, because Shero could have Strait in this spot instead of Eaton. Honestly, Lovejoy is better than Eaton right now. I'd rather have Lovejoy.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:If Eaton is signed then Lovejoy should never have been traded. Its really that simple.

Two points here...

1. Shero has shown a compassion for depth players who might have a better shot at a bigger role with other teams. Keeping Lovejoy as an extra wasn't advancing his career, so it's entirely possible he sent him to Anaheim knowing he'd have a better shot at playing everyday. It's an admirable trait in a GM, and one that will help solidify the Penguins as a classy organization for free agents to consider.

2. Lovejoy is a dime-a-dozen extra. Eaton is as well. They're not hard to find. Moving Lovejoy and (maybe) signing Eaton allowed Shero to retain an asset for a seldom-used player, then replace him with a veteran who will be used seldom.

Anyone who thinks Eaton would be anything other than a healthy scratch extra really isn't seeing the reality here. I'm not saying this is a great idea, but it certainly isn't bad. I can think of many worse defenders who are skating regular shifts in the NHL right now.

This is a beautiful explaination of Shero's thinking.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Nizzy wrote:I agree with your stuff bro, but it is bad, because Shero could have Strait in this spot instead of Eaton. Honestly, Lovejoy is better than Eaton right now. I'd rather have Lovejoy.

Would you rather have Eaton and a 5th or Lovejoy? That is basically what this boils down to
Last edited by meow on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:59 pm

interesting comment about Lovejoy. He was moved as he was a right handed shot and the Ducks did not have one at D while the Pens are overloaded. Eaton is a left-handed shot. Pay attention everyone. Ray's nuts but not completely insane.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:01 pm

columbia wrote:Why don't we wait to see if Shero signs Eaton and benches someone else, before condemning the man?

This wouldn't be LGP if we did now would it?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:At this point in his career Eaton makes Lovejoy look like Ray Bourque.

I'm sure they have reasonably similar nacho-eating abilities.

I'm not sure Eaton will get a deal anyway.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:05 pm

meow wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I agree with your stuff bro, but it is bad, because Shero could have Strait in this spot instead of Eaton. Honestly, Lovejoy is better than Eaton right now. I'd rather have Lovejoy.

Would you rather have Eaton and a 5th or Lovejoy? That is basically what this boils down to

you win.

5th, and no eaton.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Nizzy wrote:
meow wrote:

you win.

5th, and no eaton.

touche
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck Drama on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Eaton may be a calming influence in the locker room.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Ok, let me start by saying I'm probably the biggest Eaton fan on this board and probably the own member of this board to own a powder-blue Eaton Jersey T-shirt.

With that said...

Eaton hasn't been himself in a while. When he started with the Isles, he was playing top-tier minutes with Mark Streit, including occasional time on the top powerplay unit. He didn't do well. At all. He was still the same defensive player that we all knew prior to the 2009 playoffs, but had trouble finding that offensive instinct he displayed during the 2010 season.

Two injuries in NY and a complete lack of confidence have basically submarined his career.

He's unlikely to stick in the NHL and will most likely retire at the end of the year and join the player development office with the Pens.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Nizzy wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Two points here...

I agree with your stuff bro, but it is bad, because Shero could have Strait in this spot instead of Eaton. Honestly, Lovejoy is better than Eaton right now. I'd rather have Lovejoy.

I'm not sure if you agree, though, if you think it's bad. My point is that Eaton, if signed (and that's a big if right now), would serve no role other than being a healthy scratch who plays occassionally. Strait and Lovejoy would have served the same role if they were still here. Point is, though, that both of those players have careers ahead of them that wouldn't advance by not playing. By moving both players, Shero gave them a chance -- one they never were going to get in Pittsburgh due to the depth.

Long story short, an 8th defenseman (which is what Eaton would be) gets so little playing time that it really shouldn't matter whether it's Lovejoy, Eaton, or anyone else. They're just not going to hit the ice all that often to make much a difference -- positive or negative. This would be a depth signing, nothing else.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Can Lovejoy act as a second coach during practice to teach the yournger guys tricks of the trade? Not really, Eaton has years of experience to draw on to help these guys learn to become steady NHL d-men. But still your point is well taken, if you are looking at skill and ability Lovejoy might have a upper hand in this area. But for a 7th or 8th depth guy he probly won't see more than 5-10 games the rest of the season. So all in all i would take Eaton on the team over Lovejoy.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Nizzy wrote:No way Eaton is even close to as good as Strait is right now.

Disagree.

Strait can't even skate right now.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:31 pm

EATON

IS
A
L-7
WEENIE.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Puck Drama wrote:Eaton may be a calming influence in the locker room.

He can be a calming influence in the press box...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:54 pm

For those interested, Eaton will be on Ninety Tree Point Shevun da FAN in a few minutes.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:03 pm

columbia wrote:For those interested, Eaton will be on Ninety Tree Point Shevun da FAN in a few minutes.

Well done
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:31 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Nizzy wrote:No way Eaton is even close to as good as Strait is right now.

Disagree.

Strait can't even skate right now.

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:01 pm

What's Neil Wilkinson up to these days?
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Who would you rather have eating nachos in the press box, a guy with a Stanley Cup ring, or a guy with a few dozen games of NHL experience?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Who would you rather have eating nachos in the press box, a guy with a Stanley Cup ring, or a guy with a few dozen games of NHL experience?

Deryk Engelland
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Who would you rather have eating nachos in the press box, a guy with a Stanley Cup ring, or a guy with a few dozen games of NHL experience?

Erik Karlsson.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm

columbia wrote:Why don't we wait to see if Shero signs Eaton and benches someone else, before condemning the man?

I think the concern people have is that it's Blysma who decides who plays. And he's got quite a penchant for benching rookies over vets. But other than that, having Eaton around as a mentor / depth guy is fine; so long as he doesn't play over Bortuzzo or Despres.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:38 pm

Why is the general stereotype that the concession of choice for healthy scratches are nachos? Surely the press boxes have better snacks. Or is it that since they suck and are healthy scratches, they only deserve nachos?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins