Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Gameday Thread - Penguins vs Flyers - 20/2/201

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 pm

pcm wrote:Pens fear the Flyers. That has to change. #PagingGaryRoberts.

They don't fear them at all. They beat them in the opener this year.

For whatever reason they just feel they need to play way too agressive and play with zero composure against them. Bylsma has been awful against the Flyers.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 pm

Beau Bennett is nothing special either. 2nd liner at best
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 pm

This is why we can't have nice things
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 pm

(ii) A kicked puck that deflects off the stick of any player (excluding the goalkeeper’s stick) shall be ruled a good goal.

For whoever asked.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Kharlamov on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 pm

Godric wrote:
joopen wrote:Watching these games turns me into a bad person. I swear waaaayyyy too freely and creatively at the Flyers

The color orange makes every penguin fan feel like a bad person, its not just you.

To everyone outside of philthadelphia, the flyers logo has supplanted the nazi swastika.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 pm

farnham16 wrote:Bylsma, Vokoun, and Orpik were awful tonight. Just awful.

I would also include Martin
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Too bad Vokoun had a bad night....on any other night we win this game 5-3 or 5-2
pronovost19
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:
booboo wrote:Bylsma was awful tonight. I was never in the fire HCDB camp before but now I just realized he is being consistently outcoached in most of the emotional games. He can't prevent his star players from taking stupid penalties. He takes timeouts at random occasions. He cannot teach his team to keep the lead. Ray Shero please do something about this mess. I just do not want the Pens to be in this "game" anymore.

I laugh at this. How the hell can a coach stop a player from taking stupid penalties? You can preach and plead and stress all you want but a dumb player will take a dumb penalty any time. Other than benching him (you gonna bench Geno? didn't think so.), you can't totally stop it. The players have to take it upon themselves to not be dumb.

You make adjustments. You certainly can sit a player a couple shifts if they take dumb penalties.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

booboo wrote:Bylsma was awful tonight. I was never in the fire HCDB camp before but now I just realized he is being consistently outcoached in most of the emotional games. He can't prevent his star players from taking stupid penalties. He takes timeouts at random occasions. He cannot teach his team to keep the lead. Ray Shero please do something about this mess.

You're joking right??

No coach can prevent their players from doing anything. They are grown men out there. Doesn't matter who is behind the bench.

How is taking the timeout after giving up 2 quick goals random? It was the right time to take the timeout.

When is a lead (1 or 2 goals) ever safe 7 minutes into a 60 minute game? It wouldn't be safe it was the other way around and Philly went up 2-0. Not when you have offensive power like both sides have.

This place is insane after a regular season loss, I love it.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Letang really stinks in the offensive zone... telegraphs passes and shoots into shin pads... most of his point production comes in transition

That's why Martin is a better power play option IMHO.

The production on the PP backs it up. But Letang's not the right guy to put out there 6 on 5 either.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Vokoun was awful tonight. Always a second slow to react, and his lateral movement in the crease was very poor. He looked off balance and stuck in the ice all night.

Which brings me to Bylsma. Should have pulled Vokoun after 4, and again should have pulled him after 5. We also took a long long time to adjust to the Flyer's forecheck. They were taking away the boards and covering all our outlet passes and intercepting them at the blueline going the other way.

Pens were outcoached, were not composed, and had a terrible night from their goaltender.

I've said my piece. See you all in a few days after the rest of the inevitable venom on this board subsides.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GreenBlood10 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Wow.....couldn't hang on for less than 2:00. Pretty sad. What a come back for the rest of the team, and then the deflation by a soff goal. Glad I bought the cheap beer for this game.

GB
GreenBlood10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Godric on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
nocera wrote:What a ridiculous game. Anyone who thinks the Flyers are better, well, are just plain wrong. They are so lucky. Vokoun was a joke that game and the goals waived off (at least the first) was questionable.

I'm completely comfortable with this team.

it was a carbon copy of the playoffs. it makes me feel ill that we still don't get it. so "comfortable" isn't my first reaction

Not even close.

How was that a carbon copy? You mean the horrible calls, Malkin's 1st goal that was in but not counted......TWO LATE whistles on Vokoun.... Malkin getting cross checked 10 times before losing his mind and going after that pippy lipped ***** Courterier?

Just a stupid, stupid game. And Vokoun loses his mind at the end and allows a stupid bank shot, probably exhausted from having to sit his ass on the puck for minutes before getting a whistle.

But NBC got what they wanted. "Rivalry night". Hopefully this didn't inspire the officials.

Courterier, Rinaldo, Talbot Zwhateverthehell

they all need to get hit by a meteor
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby shmenguin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Grunthy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
nocera wrote:What a ridiculous game. Anyone who thinks the Flyers are better, well, are just plain wrong. They are so lucky. Vokoun was a joke that game and the goals waived off (at least the first) was questionable.

I'm completely comfortable with this team.

it was a carbon copy of the playoffs. it makes me feel ill that we still don't get it. so "comfortable" isn't my first reaction

I don't remember the flyers getting three ridiculous goals like they got tonight in the playoffs.

we had the game under control and then our guys start mucking it up like a bunch of spoiled brats. like usual. from then, lucky goals or not, we were outshot something like 21-10. we opened the doors up for them by being idiots. again. and then we got crap goaltending. again. there's a formula to beat this team. the flyers know it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 pm

...was the first goal waived because the puck was in the glove and they couldn't determine the glove was over or they couldn't see the puck???
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 pm

I really don't see where you guys are getting that this is Bylsma's fault.

I guess it isn't his fault that the Pens managed to comeback from a 2 goal deficit? Or is it his fault Vokoun let in the last goal?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malksby8771 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 pm

offsides wrote:
nocera wrote:What a fun game. Sucks to be on the losing side for sure but man that was crazy. Pens are fine

At least in the regular season. Just can't play NJ or Philly in the playoffs.

It's basically impossible to avoid playing either of them so something better change or else we're doomed for another early playoff exit, in which case HCDB should be fired.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 pm

2 things, DB got out coached again and Geno should not be an assistant captain if he's going to take dumb penalties
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 pm

So sick of missing the Pens-Predictor text game. I'm literally off by 1 every damn time.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby The U on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:11-6 is 11-6.

Which is fine but we have the playoffs in mind. How we match up individually vs Devils, Flyers, Rangers, Montreal, etc...is far more important than what our record is.

For me, tonight wasnt about the W or L. It was about how we played match up in terms of style and strategy. I was hoping we'd never see a replica of what happened last postseason vs Philly. Unfortunately we just saw it.

Philly's record doesn't mean anything. The only thing that matters is how they play vs us. If we are the 1 seed and they are the 8 seed they would still be slightly favored to beat us in a series based on last year and what I saw tonight.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby booboo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 pm

sniper wrote:Entertaining game, but that's not the way they should be playing. When you get up 2-0 early in the game, that game has to be a win every time. Instead they start playing the way the flyers want to play. Obviously that doesn't work. The good news is I really don't think the flyers make the playoffs this year so should have to see them there.

Coaching.

I know I am boring.
But from now on, when I see this kind of stupidity, I write it in on Bylsma.

Gosh, this is a Cup winning team. They got to be more mature than that.
Especially after the lofty lesson received the last playoffs.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I really don't see where you guys are getting that this is Bylsma's fault.

I guess it isn't his fault that the Pens managed to comeback from a 2 goal deficit? Or is it his fault Vokoun let in the last goal?

Of course its not all his fault. But he coached an awful game IMO. Had his team playing the exact same way as they did in the playoffs. Exactly. Uber aggressive defense and no composure. He was outcoached again.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 pm

since1970 wrote:...was the first goal waived because the puck was in the glove and they couldn't determine the glove was over or they couldn't see the puck???

couldn't see if the puck was entirely over the line. It very likely was though.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 pm

As much as I hate Bylsma, you don't pull your goalie in the 3rd period unless the game is in the balance.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Lol, never change LGP. Never change.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins