Game 17 vs. Philly - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 17 - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:32 pm

in the 6 goals against, 2 were deflections off of passes by our defensemen, 2 were after a whistle could have blown, one was a PP goal scored by the guy who actually should have been in the box instead of Adams on a brutal call, and the last was really bad.

I give the Flyers no credit on offense where as all 5 of our goals were well executed. Bad luck lost that game for us ultimately.

Coutourier did nothing to stop Malkin again, it's Neal not playing nice with the LW that is dragging that line down, time to get Kunitz back out there with Malkin and see what Bennett can do with Sid.

And Despres needs to play. Engellend was the worst defenseman again and now is the time to play your rookies so you don't have silly excuses in April that they are just rookies. Despres has played better than Orpik almost every game and Letang on some nights. There is no reason he should not be playing if he's healthy.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:
the riddler wrote:3-3 against current playoff teams. Maybe not big enough of a sample size but I think it's fair to question and wonder how good this team really is, especially when you see the same problems resurfacing.

It's too small a sample size. Hell, it's even too early to tell who a "playoff team" is

we're 1-2 against the top 6 teams in the east. the takeaway from such a number isn't that we have issues, it's that this team is unproven.

I'm sorry, but the top 6 teams are not the top 6 teams. Rangers 2-0, Flyers 1-1, Devils 1-2, Bruins 0-0, Hurricanes 0-0, Tampa 0-0

They are my top 6. So, we are 4-3.

All that work for an extra win. Whew.

the rangers and flyers will end up in the top 6, but they haven't played that way so far - when we've accumulated our record against them. we've had a pretty easy schedule as far as who we've played. i don't think there's any question about that. but our schedule's been pretty compressed and we've been on the road a lot so maybe it evens out. either way, the fact that we've faced minimal quality opposition leaves us as a bit of a question mark.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

A few points:

1. Vokoun HAD to start last night.
If Fleury plays and does poorly his good start to the season could come to a screeching halt.

2. Tanner Glass lost the game as much as Vokoun.
He had Simmons tied up with his left hand free and right in his face and DID NOT FINISH HIM.
Instead, he exchanged pleasantries and smiles. Simmons should have a broken orbital bone right now. Out for the season. And the Pens go on to win.

3. Malkin should have crosschecked Couterier in the mouth.
Geno obviously needs a recharge of the batteries. A lil suspension could do just that.

4. Vokoun is still more reliable than Bryzgalov.
The Flyers won't even make the playoffs as they can't beat anyone consistently but the Pens.
Think I'm wrong? Watch them lose tonight to the ever-powerful Panthers. LOL
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Uh...... what?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I think marek might be lost in the 70s NHL even more than pugilist.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:20 pm

I think he might be lost, period.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Oh, so we're advocating injuring opponents now?

Good times, good times. :pop:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Bylsma, on Tyler Kennedy: "Tyler needs to be better" with blue-collar duties because "that's where his game's at when he's really good."
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

I actually think #1 might've been the most absurd one, logic-wise.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:45 pm

DelPen wrote:in the 6 goals against, 2 were deflections off of passes by our defensemen, 2 were after a whistle could have blown, one was a PP goal scored by the guy who actually should have been in the box instead of Adams on a brutal call, and the last was really bad.

I give the Flyers no credit on offense where as all 5 of our goals were well executed. Bad luck lost that game for us ultimately.

Coutourier did nothing to stop Malkin again, it's Neal not playing nice with the LW that is dragging that line down, time to get Kunitz back out there with Malkin and see what Bennett can do with Sid.

And Despres needs to play. Engellend was the worst defenseman again and now is the time to play your rookies so you don't have silly excuses in April that they are just rookies. Despres has played better than Orpik almost every game and Letang on some nights. There is no reason he should not be playing if he's healthy.

Their goals were junk for the most part, but they ALWAYS score garbage goals vs Pens. Frustrating when our garbage usually seems to be waved off (rightly so but wish it was consistant).

Totally agree about Kunitz rejoining Geno and Neal, would like to see Bennett with Sid and Cooke back where he belongs.

Despres needs to play (taking rookie mistakes into account he's not been better than Orpik IMO but better than Engel, Bort and Nisky since his return). He paired well with Letang (who looks to be struggling with Nisky atm).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:47 pm

marek wrote:2. Tanner Glass lost the game as much as Vokoun.
He had Simmons tied up with his left hand free and right in his face and DID NOT FINISH HIM.
Instead, he exchanged pleasantries and smiles. Simmons should have a broken orbital bone right now. Out for the season. And the Pens go on to win.

Not entirely sure about the other points but this really had me scratching my head. Some part of 'the code' I don't know about? I'm not condoning injuring players but the fight just seemed to stop with Glass in a 'Finish Him' pose...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Luckybreak wrote:

Not entirely sure about the other points but this really had me scratching my head. Some part of 'the code' I don't know about? I'm not condoning injuring players but the fight just seemed to stop with Glass in a 'Finish Him' pose...

In my opinion it looked like they were in a stalemate. The way Simmonds and Glass were tied up, Glass would have had to lunge a bit to make contact with Simmonds. Missing by even a fraction would leave Glass in a vulnerable, off-balance position while Simmonds and his cocked right hand finished Glass off. Glass didn't want to lunge, Simmonds was tired and didn't want to force the offensive when he didn't have to. Fight over.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

In my opinion it looked like they were in a stalemate. The way Simmonds and Glass were tied up, Glass would have had to lunge a bit to make contact with Simmonds. Missing by even a fraction would leave Glass in a vulnerable, off-balance position while Simmonds and his cocked right hand finished Glass off. Glass didn't want to lunge, Simmonds was tired and didn't want to force the offensive when he didn't have to. Fight over.

Actually, Glass had his left arm completely controlled by Simmonds if you look at the tape. He had zero leverage on it because Simmonds had a firm grip on his jersey just over the bicep. Basically, Glass would have had to punch without using his shoulder or his upper arm. In fact, Simmonds was the one who basically had his right free, and that is why Glass kept his left hand uo as best he could.

Is Marek really saying that an even fight early in a 6-5 game was the difference?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Luckybreak wrote:

They were both exhausted and you could see their lips moving like they were saying to each other "OK, enough of this, let's hope a ref moves in now."
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm

if glass could have finished him, he would have. with the way he was positioned, he just couldn't get the punch off
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:20 pm

DelPen wrote:in the 6 goals against, 2 were deflections off of passes by our defensemen, 2 were after a whistle could have blown, one was a PP goal scored by the guy who actually should have been in the box instead of Adams on a brutal call, and the last was really bad.

On the first goal, Knuble was knocked into the net. He stood up, made absolutely ZERO effort to get out of the crease and then laid on Vokoun as the Flyers scored. He was also the main deterrent to Vokoun returning to his net. It was about as blatant an "in the crease" as you can have.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby abwvu1 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Would hate to face New Jersey or Philadelphia at any point during the playoffs. I'm afraid it's only inevitable.
abwvu1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 pm

shmenguin wrote:if glass could have finished him, he would have. with the way he was positioned, he just couldn't get the punch off

Yeah, Simmonds had his arm. If anything, it seemed like Simmonds could have thrown a few more. It was a long fight, they were both tired.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm

marek has lost his mind.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Yep
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Kovy27 wrote:marek has lost his mind.

Losing to that bunch of **** does that. I dont care. I freaking hate them... And wishing ill on them? Whatever, I've got enough good karma stockpiled to be able to get away with saying that.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Finish him off? what is this? Mortal Kombat?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 pm

I would not like to see Bennett on the top lines. He's good where he is and actually seems lost sometimes. He also needs to put on some weight.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Finish him off? what is this? Mortal Kombat?

Exactly the reference I was making :fist: looked like Glass had the opportunity but on review they were obv tired and at a punching stalemate.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby champeen on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Finish him off? what is this? Mortal Kombat?

Finish him off? what is this? An Asian massage parlor?
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins