Be the GM - What do you add/subtract ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Be the GM - What do you add/subtract ?

Postby topshelf66 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I walked up to the arena last night thinking that this team has been unwilling to not be pulled into the Flyers circus antics. I had been hoping that they would have a change of mind and that things would change on the ice. I am now convinced that this team in incapable of this type of composure. I believe each and every one of them that talked about how much "we" stress and talk about not getting "sucked in" during the post game interviews. I now believe that they are willing to change but are just not capable. This is like the Columbus Blue Jackets are willing to do the things that it takes to win a Stanley Cup, however the current team is just incapable of doing it.

It all gets back to the theme of the thread. We need a chemistry change. Roberts / Guerin type player with the right combination of skill, reputation and leadership to make a contribution. This team needs "in the room" leadership more than another Top 6 / Top 4 player. It is just short of being a freaking All Star team as it is.

How about Ryan Smyth as Edminton falls out of contention?
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 pm

+ Iginla
- Kennedy

To those of you who want Bylsma fired after a 11-6 record should be ashamed.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Brugrabud on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Not in the category of the thread but I've always been a fan of Smid and would be a shut down type upgrade over Engelland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmoZF2ojaS4

Really for the leadership need we would need to get someone that both Crosby/Malkin would respect, they both have a lot to learn (Crosby has been much better this year IMO).

A couple more names:

Eric Nystrom
Ryane Clowe
Robin Regehr (Not an upgrade D wise, but veteran presence)
Francis Bouillion (grasping straws here)
Scott Nichol
Brugrabud
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby saints11 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Add:David Jones
Peter Mueller
Douglas Murray

Subtract:Tyler Kennedy
Beau Bennett (WBS)
Matt Niskanen
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 pm

I was on the fire Bylsma train right after the Flyer playoff loss. I'm not a huge fan of his but I don't know if you can fire him during the regular season unless things look really bad. I think you absolutely fire him if the Pens don't at least get to the Conference Finals.

I love the idea of Lindy Ruff coaching this team. He has never come close to coaching a team with the talent we have.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:+ Iginla
- Kennedy

The Penguins are 11-6 in spite of Bylsma. I don't think anyone is citing Bylsma's record as the reason he should be fired, rather, it is his seeming inability to make adjustments between games and in games. This team needs to win NOW. Crosby and Malkin are both entering their primes. Now is the time to win.

Ruff is not a bad coach, but the players weren't hearing the message. At the very least, that may be the case with Bylsma and the Pens.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:55 pm

So when the Pens lose it's because DB failed to make any adjustments. Yet when they win it is most definitely not because he made any adjustments. Ok.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Brugrabud on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:31 pm

I don't think Bylsma needs to go, I think the team loves him and will play for him which is better than most coaches. That said I would be curious if they would bring in a consultant like a Scotty Bowman (I believe Chicago did that, could be wrong) to work with Bylsma and staff and provide them with some fresh perspectives and tactics/tweaks they could employ going forward. I think Bylsma really lacks a lot of experience that a lot of other coaches graduated to the NHL with, while on the flip side he has much better relationships with his players that a lot of the "tactical" coaches lack. Being that all 3 of the coaches were players, they could use a nice pudgy rolly polly type that hasn't laced up even sneakers for running in 10+ years because they enjoy the study of the game more.

What's Mike Keenan up to? Could you imagine the change in atmosphere bringing in Keenan (not suggesting it, just came to mind).
Brugrabud
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:41 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:+ Iginla
- Kennedy

The Penguins are 11-6 in spite of Bylsma. I don't think anyone is citing Bylsma's record as the reason he should be fired, rather, it is his seeming inability to make adjustments between games and in games. This team needs to win NOW. Crosby and Malkin are both entering their primes. Now is the time to win.

Ruff is not a bad coach, but the players weren't hearing the message. At the very least, that may be the case with Bylsma and the Pens.

I guarantee if Shero pulled the coach card right now, this team would tank. While we all question his decisions, Disco still has the confidence of that team.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm not sure the Pens issues are going to be solved by a single player. I think first off there is a leadership issue on this team and I wonder whether Shero would bring in another Roberts or Guerin now. In theory, his captain is no longer a "kid" and now has a cup championship under his belt. A veteran presence now might question Sid's ability to lead this team? Malkin for example, has been one of the laziest and most undisciplined players this year IMO. If you're DB, how do you deal with that?

Sandpaper, grit, whatever you want to call it. The Pens continue to struggle against teams that hit. Furthermore, our blueline struggles against teams that drive to the net. The bottom six are built for transition. Once that transition game breaks, we have a lot of problems. Guys like Adams, Kennedy, Kunitz, Cooke and Dupuis were all, at one time, considered "feisty" players. Whether it's age, system changes or whatever, I don't think that is the case anymore. We have no agitator and Glass and Vitale are all that is left of a team that at one time was very successful grinding and dictating the physical play.

No matter how you shake it, the Pens just don't appear to be a team built for playoff success. The past couple seasons are evidence of that.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm

I see the team at a turning point in terms of personel, players, system and ethos. I don't want to trade for the sake of trading but with a clear directive and impact regardless of how 'big' or 'small' the trade is.

Up front I'd have no problem subtracting Cooke, TK, Glass and Adams as I'm not sure they are what the team needs (be it a poor fit with the center, age, poor grasp of system, underwhelming play etc), and only if they could be improved upon. Yes they meet the expectations of a bottom 6 but none stand out in their roles (some used to and some can still contribute, just not as well as before). IMO improving the bottom 6 (ideally someone to mesh with Sutter) through a dose of hockey leadership/IQ/size/grit/speed/scoring is important, though this will depend on the identity the team wishes to create.

There are the Setoguchis and Perrys but scoring isn't really the priority for this team. It seems we need two Chris Kunitz as Sid and Geno both thrive with him. Guerin brought leadership and a calming influence but also had the respect of the core players. Iginla might sound great but to keep him could be problematic cap wise and it would be a steep price for a rental. Morrow (from other accounts) seems to have fallen off too much. Someone needs to be brought in either way as without a fully effective Malkin the team won't progress.

On D I'd part ways with Engeland, Bortuzzo, Nisky but not (can't believe how things have changed) Martin. Despite the contract he is now the only guy I really trust back there and he is contributing both ends of the ice. If Despres could secure the spot with Letang and Nisky could anchor one of Bort or Engo I'm not sure changes are needed (not ideal but improvements up front are more urgent.

Most importantly the team needs to start buying into playing sound defensive hockey and I hope HCDB can instill this with the help or some roster changes because I have doubts about the team as currently constructed really contending for the Cup. Disappointing playoffs and I'd be seeking a new coach.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Too soft, too small. The playoffs are a war....we need more warriors.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Man Ryan Clowe would be a guy I would love here.

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Clowe - Malkin - Neal

But the Sharks would most likely want some scoring depth in return... I don't think the Pens have anything to offer the Sharks although Shero has pulled off better things before.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IMFC on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Add: Ross "The Boss" Rhea
Subtract: idiot40fans

= cup
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Add: Heart, Focus

Subtract: The mentality that everyone needs to rack up points.

Oh you said GM.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Besides just playing better, which is more on Bylsma not adjusting than the players, I'd like the Pens to do the following:

1. A better winger for Sid. Dupuis has been good, has the speed. Move Kunitz to Malkin line, and get a winger for Sid.
2. A better physical, defensive defenseman. Still need a good crease clearing d-man. Could maybe be Bortuzzo, but would rather have some experience for the playoffs.
3. Add more grit. Build a 4th line that can be responsible defensively, but can go out each shift and hit to wear teams down.

As GM, the first thing I would do is scout Edmonton HEAVILY!!! If they are in position to miss the playoffs, they may look to dump some salary. Horcroff and Hemsky are at 5mil each, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov are at 3.75mil each, next year Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle jump to 6mil each.....they have 44 million tied up in 15 players next year. Ryan Jones (UFA,depending on when he could come back from eye injury), Sam Gagner (RFA), Hemsky (one more year at 5mil), Ladislav Smid (UFA), Mark Fistric (UFA) might be possible.

Blake Wheeler is another name I heard recently. 2.5mil, RFA next season. Has the size we could use in the top 6.
Peter Mueller could probably be had for cheap, and is only 1.75mil RFA.

Dupuis, Kennedy, Jeffrey, Despres, Bortuzzo, Engelland, and, for the right player coming back, one of Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Maata are the assets I think the Pens have available.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Add - Cup
Subtract - Loses

Did I do this right?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Dupuis, Kennedy, Jeffrey, Despres, Bortuzzo, Engelland, and, for the right player coming back, one of Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Maata are the assets I think the Pens have available.

dupuis has zero trade value for teams that are sellers. not only is he a UFA, but his salary is at least going to double in july.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:25 pm

McKenzie reported the Panthers might be on the verge of giving up hope to make the playoffs and it might be time for a fire sale ( a little house cleaning if you will) and start rebuilding the team for the future. We got plenty of young talent to trade but FLA. just doesn't have a ton of players i covet.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Tonight can be their audition...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Just put Despres in the lineup for starters.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm

I put this in another thread. I always been a Chimera fan. If the Craps are still out of it then I wouldn't mind seeing Shero get Chimera. Chimera got wheels and could replace Kennedy on the 3rd line and also makes less then Kennedy. Chimera is also signed through next season while Kennedy is not.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:39 pm

no name wrote:McKenzie reported the Panthers might be on the verge of giving up hope to make the playoffs and it might be time for a fire sale ( a little house cleaning if you will) and start rebuilding the team for the future. We got plenty of young talent to trade but FLA. just doesn't have a ton of players i covet.

Fleischman would be the only guy I'd be interested in there. Other than that overpaid and/or old.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Bring back Kovalev!
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Rylan wrote:Add - Cup
Subtract - Loses

Did I do this right?

Rylan wins the thread!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins