Be the GM - What do you add/subtract ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Be the GM - What do you add/subtract ?

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Rylan wrote:Bring back Kovalev!

Rylan loses the thread!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I still say the biggest roster vulnerability is on D. We need another guy who can play like Orpik in case he's injured or unable to consistently raise his physical game like he used to, night in and night out through the grind of the playoffs.

I think people are looking toward the wrong people for leadership. Alfredsson? Iginla? The price for those players will be too high for what they bring to the team.

If the Pens acquire a vet, it should be an affordable player with championship pedigree. Like Guerin, Roberts and Trottier.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Big physical veteran D and Clowe / Glencross / Morrow maybe on F would be great..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saints11 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:07 pm

With Geno now out for an undisclosed period, we should look into RJ Umberger. Not only would it make MM happy, but he is a center who plays on the wing. It would not be like O'Reilly who were not sure can play the wing. RJ plays there, but is really a C.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Reading this thread it's clear that we need to trade for Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:22 pm

saints11 wrote:With Geno now out for an undisclosed period, we should look into RJ Umberger. Not only would it make MM happy, but he is a center who plays on the wing. It would not be like O'Reilly who were not sure can play the wing. RJ plays there, but is really a C.

Umberger has a cap hit of 4.6 million for the next four years which is a terrible contract. No way Shero makes this move.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Reading Flames' boards, it seems very unlikely to Calgary fans that Iginla finishes his career there. They believe that the return for Iggy will be a high-end defensive prospect and a 1st. I don't think that's overpayment, especially if Iginla re-signs with the team. That said, the Pens would seem to be ideally situated to deal with Calgary. And Iggy has a NMC, so unless he really wants to stay out west, I have to think Pittsburgh would be one of his top choices.

I'd offer Maata and a 1st; up it to Pouliout + 1st if necessary (rather give up him than Harrington, Morrow, or Despres). The Pens will have $10m in cap space next season. They can qualify Jeffrey, Boychuk, & Bortuzzo, re-sign Dupuis for $2.5m, sign Iggy for 2 years @ 4.5 per and add another 4th liner (Sill?) for < $1m.

Kunitz-Corsby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jeffrey-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Sill?

Ex: Boychuk
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 pm

If I understand human nature, Iginla will choose to the contender that will pay him the highest amount of money, so that rules out the Pens.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Gaucho wrote:So when the Pens lose it's because DB failed to make any adjustments. Yet when they win it is most definitely not because he made any adjustments. Ok.

wtf are you talking about? A coach who doesn't make adjustments other than line combos doesn't magically get credit for adjustments he didn't make simply because they won. I'm all ears if you can pinpoint some strategic adjustments he's made that has caused the team to win though.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Give me Iginla and Sarich or give me death!
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saints11 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:10 pm

It is funny that many people bash the acquisition of Umberger and his contract of 4.6 and then call for getting Iginla at a hit of 7. Granted there is a period of time involved, but there are other moves that can be made. If you bring in Umberger at 4.6, but move Kennedy at 2.0 out it reduces to 2.6. We are basically looking at talent levels also. Umberger gives us two options; where others may be a singular option, like ROR.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:15 pm

saints11 wrote:It is funny that many people bash the acquisition of Umberger and his contract of 4.6 and then call for getting Iginla at a hit of 7. Granted there is a period of time involved, but there are other moves that can be made. If you bring in Umberger at 4.6, but move Kennedy at 2.0 out it reduces to 2.6. We are basically looking at talent levels also. Umberger gives us two options; where others may be a singular option, like ROR.

The time detail that you are casually ignoring is kind of important given iginla's contract ends and umber gears continues for a few years.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Rylan wrote:Bring back Kovalev!

Rylan loses the thread!

This was perfect timing to have this show up on a new page. :fist:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saints11 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Not ignoring the time factor, it is just things could be done to adjust for it. How would they adjust if they signed O'Reilly? He would cost more than RJ.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:14 am

saints11 wrote:Not ignoring the time factor, it is just things could be done to adjust for it. How would they adjust if they signed O'Reilly? He would cost more than RJ.

That would mean an offer sheet and losing at least 1 first round pick. No thank you.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 am

RJ Umberger 40 pts last year

Iginla 67

have to think Iginlas next contract will be in the 4-5 million range
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:RJ Umberger 40 pts last year

Iginla 67

have to think Iginlas next contract will be in the 4-5 million range

You mean the Iginla who had 67 points last year, or the one who has 1 goal in 16 games this year??
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Stoked to see Neal playing with Crosby. Sid hasn't had a wing like that since Hossa.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Malkin's injury shakes up the internal structure of this team, and that the lines get all shifted around because:

> Kunitz-Crosby-Neal dominates in a way Kunitz-Malkin-Neal did last year.
> Jeffrey earns a permanent spot in the lineup.
> Sutter & Dupuis click like BFF.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 pm

If they are looking to add right now, Buffalo is probably looking to trade some guys. They just changed their coach and they are still sinking fast. I'm not sure who's on that team the pens might be interested in, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Buffalo make some moves soon.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:51 pm

I really like the proposal on HF with Buffalo that most sides are agreeing on:

Penguins:
Pominville
Regehr

Buffalo:
1st Round Pick
Maatta
Kennedy
Niskanen

Niskanen is a solid number 5, anything more and he starts to thin out. He could be a solid 2nd pairing eventually but we have enough of that to let him go in this deal. Kennedy, lol bye just needs to be moved for the roster player transaction. Maatta was the best player available and I believe Shero drafted him just to have another deadline deal if needed (Esposito). He could be a good player one day, but with our prospect pool (Dumoulin, Pouliot, Morrow, Harrington) he is completely expendable. First round picks are tough to give up, and we need forward depth (center/winger) but for Pominville to help solidify our top 6 would be great. Regehr to help clear that crease for the playoffs.

Thoughts? I'm not taking credit for it, but I don't post on HF so I wanted to see what people on here had to say. thx
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Pominville + Regher are both signed through next season for a combined $9+ million. Would never work unless the Sabres took on some of their cap hits. But because part of the value of this deal from Sabres perspective would be to clear cap space for next season while getting younger, I don't see it happening.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 pm

pcm wrote:Pominville + Regher are both signed through next season for a combined $9+ million. Would never work unless the Sabres took on some of their cap hits. But because part of the value of this deal from Sabres perspective would be to clear cap space for next season while getting younger, I don't see it happening.

Reghr ia a UFA at the end of this season.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Nizzy wrote:I really like the proposal on HF with Buffalo that most sides are agreeing on:

Penguins:
Pominville
Regehr

Buffalo:
1st Round Pick
Maatta
Kennedy
Niskanen

Niskanen is a solid number 5, anything more and he starts to thin out. He could be a solid 2nd pairing eventually but we have enough of that to let him go in this deal. Kennedy, lol bye just needs to be moved for the roster player transaction. Maatta was the best player available and I believe Shero drafted him just to have another deadline deal if needed (Esposito). He could be a good player one day, but with our prospect pool (Dumoulin, Pouliot, Morrow, Harrington) he is completely expendable. First round picks are tough to give up, and we need forward depth (center/winger) but for Pominville to help solidify our top 6 would be great. Regehr to help clear that crease for the playoffs.

Thoughts? I'm not taking credit for it, but I don't post on HF so I wanted to see what people on here had to say. thx

You are giving up too much in my opinion. I doubt they could resign Reghr unless he is taking a severe pay cut. In that case is Pominville really worth 2 first round picks plus two roster players?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Soooo uh... Ryan Clowe? Think he could be got for cheap considering he's gonna sit for 10 games?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:15 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I really like the proposal on HF with Buffalo that most sides are agreeing on:

Penguins:
Pominville
Regehr

Buffalo:
1st Round Pick
Maatta
Kennedy
Niskanen

You are giving up too much in my opinion. I doubt they could resign Reghr unless he is taking a severe pay cut. In that case is Pominville really worth 2 first round picks plus two roster players?

I doubt Shero would even want to resign Reghr next season considering the young depth we already have at D.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins