Be the GM - What do you add/subtract ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Be the GM - What do you add/subtract ?

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Ah, my mistake.
Swapping Niskanen for Regehr is at best a lateral move with the way Niskanen has been playing. He's playing upwards of 21 minutes again (now that healthy), on one of the top defensive units in the league. Regehr is playing 17 minutes on a very bad defensive squad. Sure his style of play is something that's needed, but can he play 20+ minutes a game? I wouldn't mind adding Regehr as a #5, but that means no Niskanen in the deal.

And even adding Pominville's salary is a little much for next season. We could make it work, but given the cap decrease, I think there will be lots of options out there, so I'd only do this trade if we could get a steal of a deal.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:57 pm

pcm wrote:Ah, my mistake.
Swapping Niskanen for Regehr is at best a lateral move with the way Niskanen has been playing. He's playing upwards of 21 minutes again (now that healthy), on one of the top defensive units in the league. Regehr is playing 17 minutes on a very bad defensive squad. Sure his style of play is something that's needed, but can he play 20+ minutes a game? I wouldn't mind adding Regehr as a #5, but that means no Niskanen in the deal.

And even adding Pominville's salary is a little much for next season. We could make it work, but given the cap decrease, I think there will be lots of options out there, so I'd only do this trade if we could get a steal of a deal.

Pominville at 5.3M would be a pretty darn good add. In 560 games he has 446 points an average of .8 points per game. He's a healthy guy, not the best 2-way player but very good offensively, can play with speed, is 29 years old and has one more year on his current contract. That would be a hell of a pick up. I don't see why the Sabres would trade their arguably best player though.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:04 pm

We need a power forward who will go to the net and throw his body around. Kunitz just isnt that guy anymore.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Regehr's better days are way behind him. I'll gladly keep Nisky.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Move Kunitz back with Neal and Malkin.

Aquire a winger for Sid and Dupuis. (iginla, Kessel, Fliechman, Klumin. Setoguchi)

If you look at the stretches where Malkin has been great he had 2 good wingers around him. Kunitz and Neal or Malone and Sykora.

Aquire some toughness.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I really like the proposal on HF with Buffalo that most sides are agreeing on:

Penguins:
Pominville
Regehr

Buffalo:
1st Round Pick
Maatta
Kennedy
Niskanen

Niskanen is a solid number 5, anything more and he starts to thin out. He could be a solid 2nd pairing eventually but we have enough of that to let him go in this deal. Kennedy, lol bye just needs to be moved for the roster player transaction. Maatta was the best player available and I believe Shero drafted him just to have another deadline deal if needed (Esposito). He could be a good player one day, but with our prospect pool (Dumoulin, Pouliot, Morrow, Harrington) he is completely expendable. First round picks are tough to give up, and we need forward depth (center/winger) but for Pominville to help solidify our top 6 would be great. Regehr to help clear that crease for the playoffs.

Thoughts? I'm not taking credit for it, but I don't post on HF so I wanted to see what people on here had to say. thx

You are giving up too much in my opinion. I doubt they could resign Reghr unless he is taking a severe pay cut. In that case is Pominville really worth 2 first round picks plus two roster players?

Regehr is strictly a rented player for the cup run, so he comes off the books at the end of the year, as someone else pointed out, we don't need him long term. The 9 million dollars in added cap space should work because we are taking off slightly more than 4M in Kennedy + Niskanen. Maatta could be a solid 2nd pairing one day, and thats if he peaks. We have enough of him, hes 100% expendable. Pominville is a former 80 point player, 30 year old winger. Could be around for another 5 years of producing. If we win the cup, the 30th overall pick...

Got to give up to get. I think this fits 2 huge needs with not sacrificing an insane amount...
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:46 pm

no name wrote:
If you look at the stretches where Malkin has been great he had 2 good wingers around him. Kunitz and Neal or Malone and Sykora.

Not to mention Talbot and Fedotenko.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 pm

pugilist13 wrote:Regehr's better days are way behind him. I'll gladly keep Nisky.

Why? He's a solid number 5. He's showed with Dallas and in Pittsburgh that he isn't a consistent top 4 guy yet and possibly ever. Just starts to make more mistakes vs the better team's lines. We have 2-3 guys that could be Nisky in 1-2 years.

We haven't had a Regehr since Gill. Haven't won the cup since Gill. We should dress 7 in the playoffs and use Regehr in key situations if people think he is a liability n 5v5.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:50 pm

1. Iginla
2. Jovanovski
3. Morrow
4. Getzlaf
5. Souray

Available Assets
Engelland (if we need an enforcer, just call up Mac to play those games)
Kennedy
(Pick a D Prospect)
Jeffrey

Kennedy and our 1st Round Pick in 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 for Iginla
Engelland and a 4th in 2034 for Jovanovski
Jeffrey and Future Considerations every year until 2065 for Morrow
Joe Morrow for Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry
1st Round pick in 2112 for Souray

Iginla - Crosby - Kunitz
Getzlaf - Malkin - Neal
Perry - Sutter - Morrow
Dupuis - Adams - Cooke

Orpik - Martin
Letang - Jovanovski
Souray - Despres

Fleury
Vokoun
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:50 pm

no name wrote:Move Kunitz back with Neal and Malkin.

Aquire a winger for Sid and Dupuis. (iginla, Kessel, Fliechman, Klumin. Setoguchi Pominville)

Aquire some toughness. Regehr

Fixed?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Nizzy wrote:
pugilist13 wrote:Regehr's better days are way behind him. I'll gladly keep Nisky.

Why? He's a solid number 5. He's showed with Dallas and in Pittsburgh that he isn't a consistent top 4 guy yet and possibly ever. Just starts to make more mistakes vs the better team's lines. We have 2-3 guys that could be Nisky in 1-2 years.

We haven't had a Regehr since Gill. Haven't won the cup since Gill. We should dress 7 in the playoffs and use Regehr in key situations if people think he is a liability n 5v5.

Niskanen has been more than solid in the #4 role this season, and handled a larger role last year when injuries became a problem. I'm in no rush to see him traded. I do, however, agree that the Pens need a pure shutdown defenseman.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins