Malkin Skates

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin Skates

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Rossi's a little sputnik.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Gaucho wrote:Eric Bowser ‏@EricBowser
considering @RobRossi_Trib closeness to @malkin71_ why is it automatic to assume Bylsma is telling media scrum the truth?

lol, geez

Yeah, it's not like NHL teams EVER lie about their player's injuries, or play cloak-n-dagger about it. You know, saying it's a lower body injury if a guy loses an arm.

No sir, if it comes from the "team" it is gospel!
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Given the bad PR brought about from the Crosby fiasco, I think the Pens will bend over backwards to be as forthcoming as possible about Geno's situation.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:39 pm

penmyst wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Eric Bowser ‏@EricBowser
considering @RobRossi_Trib closeness to @malkin71_ why is it automatic to assume Bylsma is telling media scrum the truth?

lol, geez

Yeah, it's not like NHL teams EVER lie about their player's injuries, or play cloak-n-dagger about it. You know, saying it's a lower body injury if a guy loses an arm.

No sir, if it comes from the "team" it is gospel!

My amusement had more to do with Bowser's predictable reaction, but whatever.

Carry on.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:50 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that Rossi's article was posted early Saturday morning (9-9:30 ish). Malkin wouldn't have even be re-evaluated at that point, so he had to have been writing about symptoms he saw or was told about during and immediately after the game. It may be more of a case of Rossi jumping the gun than being completely wrong.
Last edited by tfrizz on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Given the bad PR brought about from the Crosby fiasco, I think the Pens will bend over backwards to be as forthcoming as possible about Geno's situation.

Exactly. No way the Pens lie about Geno's actualy health after the disaster that was their handling of the other star on the team.

And how embarrassed must the Trib be right now. Rossi comes out and writes a report about how bad Geno is right now and immediately compares the situation to Crosby. Only to have the Penguins come out the very next day and shoot down everything Rossi just reported on.

No clue how Rossi keeps his job.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:53 pm

tfrizz wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that Rossi's article was posted early Saturday morning (9-9:30 ish). Malkin wouldn't have even be re-evaluated at that point, so he would've been writing about symptoms he saw or was told about during and immediately after the game. It may be more of a case of Rossi jumping the gun than being completely wrong.

Jumping the gun is just as bad for me. He had absolutely no confirmation on anything regarding Malkin from the Penguins, yet he still goes and posts a report saying he's not doing well at all and causing everyone to wonder if this will be like Sid's injury.

Just horrible, horrible reporting and a horrible job by the editor at the Trib for allowing that story to post.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:58 pm

farnham16 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that Rossi's article was posted early Saturday morning (9-9:30 ish). Malkin wouldn't have even be re-evaluated at that point, so he would've been writing about symptoms he saw or was told about during and immediately after the game. It may be more of a case of Rossi jumping the gun than being completely wrong.

Jumping the gun is just as bad for me. He had absolutely no confirmation on anything regarding Malkin from the Penguins, yet he still goes and posts a report saying he's not doing well at all and causing everyone to wonder if this will be like Sid's injury.

Just horrible, horrible reporting and a horrible job by the editor at the Trib for allowing that story to post.

It's all about breaking the news. Rossi's source could've been as simple as asking someone on the team's medical staff how Malkin was doing and then responding "he's a bit dizzy and has a touch of a headache, so we'll re-evaluate him tomorrow" and Rossi runs with it as "suffering from headaches and disorientation". He runs with is at "headaches and disorientation" so he and the Trib can report the breaking news, even though there's been no official diagnosis because Malkin hasn't been fully evaluated. Breaking the news and getting views/purchases is more important to many papers than making sure the information is 110% correct.

IMO there's no way Malkin walked away from that without a headache and some dizziness, but that doesn't mean he was or wasn't concussed.
Last edited by tfrizz on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Rossi went full Rossi
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Nizzy wrote:Rossi went full Rossi

You never go full Rossi
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Given the bad PR brought about from the Crosby fiasco, I think the Pens will bend over backwards to be as forthcoming as possible about Geno's situation.

Exactly. No way the Pens lie about Geno's actualy health after the disaster that was their handling of the other star on the team.

And how embarrassed must the Trib be right now. Rossi comes out and writes a report about how bad Geno is right now and immediately compares the situation to Crosby. Only to have the Penguins come out the very next day and shoot down everything Rossi just reported on.

Im sorry, I disagree slightly. The Pens mangled Crosby and reporting on it from day for over a year including getting Rossi removed from the beat and flipping out publicly on Dejan as if the two of just made up stories. And I doubt Rossi made up this story. I would almost guarantee somebody told him specifically he has headaches etc. All of the stuff with Crosby ended up to be true and the press for whatever reason just let is slide. Everyone kept saying "no way the pens lie about this and that after all the PR gaffes wtih Crosby so far".

I hate Rossi and Dejan as much as anyone and have stated so and I am sure he overplayed his hand. But I have zero idea how anyone can give the Penguins the benifit of the doubt in this, they have more than proven to be just as guilty in this reporting game, I mean they still havent admitted they screwed up Crosby diagnosis and claim to just have found a tissue probelm a year later.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 pm

The pens did nothing wrong by being cryptic about crosby's status. They'll do the same with malkin if it comes to that. Whether or not journalists are placated or fans feel informed isn't really their concern.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 pm

shmenguin wrote:

The pens did nothing wrong by being cryptic about crosby's status. They'll do the same with malkin if it comes to that. Whether or not journalists are placated or fans feel informed isn't really their concern.

They actually did a lot wrong. I have no problem with the crptic nature of it, I have a problem with them acting they were above reporters reporting on the issue then blatanly lying about the injury once it was all figured out. Again, I hate Rossi but running him off to PSU becasue you are mad he asks questions about the best player in the game (the terror and surprsie of that) is just as bush league as Dejans column.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:12 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Im sorry, I disagree slightly. The Pens mangled Crosby and reporting on it from day for over a year including getting Rossi removed from the beat and flipping out publicly on Dejan as if the two of just made up stories. And I doubt Rossi made up this story. I would almost guarantee somebody told him specifically he has headaches etc. All of the stuff with Crosby ended up to be true and the press for whatever reason just let is slide. Everyone kept saying "no way the pens lie about this and that after all the PR gaffes wtih Crosby so far".

If Malkin was experiencing headaches and disorientation, then Bylsma probably would have just said he's still being evaluated and going through protocol. I don't think he would flat out say "No, he isn't experiencing any of that."

Yeah, I'm sure someone told Rossi Malkin was having headaches and disorientation. Probably just by someone who doesn't have a lot of credibility.
Last edited by farnham16 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:13 pm

I want to believe that Evgeni is doing better, and hasn't experienced concussion symptoms.
I don't believe the pens would fully divulge his condition to the fans, regardless of what happened in the past.
I'd believe a Gene tweet. Healing vibes to 71!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:16 pm

farnham16 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

If Malkin was experiencing headaches and disorientation, then Bylsma probably would have just said he's still being evaluated and going through protocol. I don't think he would flat out say "No, he isn't experiencing any of that."

Yeah, I'm sure someone told Rossi Malkin was having headaches and disorientation. Probably just by someone who doesn't have a lot of credibility.

But that does not mean that Rossi did anything wrong. There are really only two logical conclusions in my eyes. First, Malkin had concussion like symptoms after the game and it was reported correctly but they went away after a day or so. Or Second, Bylsma isnt telling the truth today.

I mean Crosby himself said "Malking is feeling better". Better from what? Probably from a whiplash and possible head hit with some symptoms afterwards.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:16 pm

shmenguin wrote:

They actually did a lot wrong. I have no problem with the crptic nature of it, I have a problem with them acting they were above reporters reporting on the issue then blatanly lying about the injury once it was all figured out. Again, I hate Rossi but running him off to PSU becasue you are mad he asks questions about the best player in the game (the terror and surprsie of that) is just as bush league as Dejans column.

If Rossi is a reporter, or that guy who went to meet jagr at the airport, then they ARE above reporters. Treating those guys with contempt is fine. And it was their perogative to bend the truth if it meant protecting their organization. They don't owe anyone anything in that regard.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Just gotta disagree with you a bit. Rossi ran a report yesterday making it sound like Malkin wasn't doing well at all and comparing his situation to Sid's. He said, "Malkin is suffering from SEVERE headaches."

I think you wait for a little more confirmation before you run a story like Rossi did.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Like many of his peers, Rossi is a mediengeile Schreibhure.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:36 pm

farnham16 wrote:Just gotta disagree with you a bit. Rossi ran a report yesterday making it sound like Malkin wasn't doing well at all and comparing his situation to Sid's. He said, "Malkin is suffering from SEVERE headaches."

I think you wait for a little more confirmation before you run a story like Rossi did.

I didnt know about the severe part, just that Rossi ran a story that Malkin had some symptoms. I dont want to come off as defending Rossi as I dont like his overall work as a reporter, just that I dont know why anyone really believes what the Pens say either. They have been equal or worse than the reporters the past year and a half.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:39 pm

shmenguin wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

If Rossi is a reporter, or that guy who went to meet jagr at the airport, then they ARE above reporters. Treating those guys with contempt is fine. And it was their perogative to bend the truth if it meant protecting their organization. They don't owe anyone anything in that regard.

But getting a guy thrown off the beat for reporting the truth and asking questions related to the injury of the face of the NHL is ok? All that I am saying is the Pens were guilty of quite a bit last year, more than quite a bit. You cant try to destroy a reporter becasue he is trying to get a story you are clearly hiding. They are not above reporters, the use them all the time when they need them, cant have it both ways.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 pm

farnham16 wrote:Just gotta disagree with you a bit. Rossi ran a report yesterday making it sound like Malkin wasn't doing well at all and comparing his situation to Sid's. He said, "Malkin is suffering from SEVERE headaches."

I didnt know about the severe part, just that Rossi ran a story that Malkin had some symptoms. I dont want to come off as defending Rossi as I dont like his overall work as a reporter, just that I dont know why anyone really believes what the Pens say either. They have been equal or worse than the reporters the past year and a half.

Someone here posted his quoted tweet. He used the word "severe" and i think stated he had dizziness.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Until I am proved otherwise, I am considering Malkin to be death!
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm

The penguins were "cryptic" with Crosby because neither they nor the doctors had any idea what was going on. Crosby's "concussion" was not what the media considers a "concussion" of blunt force trauma. It was a neck issue and it wasn't identified until a few weeks before his comeback. At that point - it was a few weeks of therapy to strengthen the support muscles in Crosby's neck so that various slippage of his skull and pressure on his spinal nerve would stop the vertigo and headaches.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Crosby's problem ended up being a vertebral sublaxation, correct?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins