Malkin Skates

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin Skates

Postby shmenguin on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:48 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Given the bad PR brought about from the Crosby fiasco, I think the Pens will bend over backwards to be as forthcoming as possible about Geno's situation.

The pens did nothing wrong by being cryptic about crosby's status. They'll do the same with malkin if it comes to that. Whether or not journalists are placated or fans feel informed isn't really their concern.

They actually did a lot wrong. I have no problem with the crptic nature of it, I have a problem with them acting they were above reporters reporting on the issue then blatanly lying about the injury once it was all figured out. Again, I hate Rossi but running him off to PSU becasue you are mad he asks questions about the best player in the game (the terror and surprsie of that) is just as bush league as Dejans column.

If Rossi is a reporter, or that guy who went to meet jagr at the airport, then they ARE above reporters. Treating those guys with contempt is fine. And it was their perogative to bend the truth if it meant protecting their organization. They don't owe anyone anything in that regard.

But getting a guy thrown off the beat for reporting the truth and asking questions related to the injury of the face of the NHL is ok? All that I am saying is the Pens were guilty of quite a bit last year, more than quite a bit. You cant try to destroy a reporter becasue he is trying to get a story you are clearly hiding. They are not above reporters, the use them all the time when they need them, cant have it both ways.

Your theory on Rossi seems a little speculative.

It's well known that he's clashed with several of the current players over the years. It's also well known that , unlike a guy like molinari, Rossi is clueless about hockey itself. And he also has a history of pumping out fake stories.

You don't need to be a bully or make stuff up to demote Rossi or whatever happened to him. He's terrible at his job. That's usually enough.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Lesky wrote:Until I am proved otherwise, I am considering Malkin to be death!

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:53 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:The penguins were "cryptic" with Crosby because neither they nor the doctors had any idea what was going on. Crosby's "concussion" was not what the media considers a "concussion" of blunt force trauma. It was a neck issue and it wasn't identified until a few weeks before his comeback. At that point - it was a few weeks of therapy to strengthen the support muscles in Crosby's neck so that various slippage of his skull and pressure on his spinal nerve would stop the vertigo and headaches.

My point is that they handled it wrong the entire time by acting like they are above the local reporters reporting on them if the story isnt what they like. All that I am saying is I am not ready to bash Rossi becasue of the Pens past, they could be flat out lying and next thing we know Rossi is reporting on the Pittsburgh Power.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Your theory on Rossi seems a little speculative.

It's well known that he's clashed with several of the current players over the years. It's also well known that , unlike a guy like molinari, Rossi is clueless about hockey itself. And he also has a history of pumping out fake stories.

You don't need to be a bully or make stuff up to demote Rossi or whatever happened to him. He's terrible at his job. That's usually enough.

Nah, it was well reported on at the time, refutred with corporate line responses. Then all of sudden the Pittsburgh Chapter of Hockey Writers gets "promoted" to a different much crappier post then reappears randomly. I really dont care that much to discuss further, only saying that I hope Malkin is fine but I just dont get why people trust the Penguins press releases anymore than Rossi. They have both proven over time to provide more bull than necessary.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:59 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:The penguins were "cryptic" with Crosby because neither they nor the doctors had any idea what was going on. Crosby's "concussion" was not what the media considers a "concussion" of blunt force trauma. It was a neck issue and it wasn't identified until a few weeks before his comeback. At that point - it was a few weeks of therapy to strengthen the support muscles in Crosby's neck so that various slippage of his skull and pressure on his spinal nerve would stop the vertigo and headaches.

My point is that they handled it wrong the entire time by acting like they are above the local reporters reporting on them if the story isnt what they like. All that I am saying is I am not ready to bash Rossi becasue of the Pens past, they could be flat out lying and next thing we know Rossi is reporting on the Pittsburgh Power.

Media wants an answer, and sometimes there just isn't one. I think the Crosby concussion media storm was about speculation, media's job, vs. giving incomplete or conflicting medical detail, which some would deem the teams job. In reality, they didn't need to tell anyone anything more than they did, but many members of the media got frustrated with the wait. Rossi is quick to report items, so he tends to be the worst offender, but it doesn't make him a bad reporter... does make him a bit annoying and unreliable on many fronts.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Rossi is quick to report items, so he tends to be the worst offender, but it doesn't make him a bad reporter... does make him a bit annoying and unreliable on many fronts.

Imo it makes him a terrible reporter.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Apparently Rossi has updated his story:

Multiple sources, including those with Malkin at the time, told the Tribune-Review that Malkin was experiencing severe headaches disorientation Saturday morning.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Rossi is quick to report items, so he tends to be the worst offender, but it doesn't make him a bad reporter... does make him a bit annoying and unreliable on many fronts.

Umm...yeah, it makes him a terrible reporter. Reporters are supposed to have facts before they report them.
People like Eklund can report rumors because they are not reporters. They are gossip bloggers.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Umm...yeah, it makes him a terrible reporter. Reporters are supposed to have facts before they report them.
People like Eklund can report rumors because they are not reporters. They are gossip bloggers.

Dude... its sports. If he's wrong, no one gets hurt. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to do.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Pitt87 wrote:

Media wants an answer, and sometimes there just isn't one. I think the Crosby concussion media storm was about speculation, media's job, vs. giving incomplete or conflicting medical detail, which some would deem the teams job. In reality, they didn't need to tell anyone anything more than they did, but many members of the media got frustrated with the wait. Rossi is quick to report items, so he tends to be the worst offender, but it doesn't make him a bad reporter... does make him a bit annoying and unreliable on many fronts.

I agree to disagree on that. I think the Penguins were very cryptic on a lot of issues beyond they didnt know his status, especially when he kept getting worse. They got very high and mighty when reporters had the gall to ask questions.

Oh well, whatever, I just hope the Pens are correct in this instance and we see him back soon. Later folks.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Dude... its sports. If he's wrong, no one gets hurt. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to do.

Dude, he writes for a newspaper. They are supposed to get the facts before they publish anything. He doesn't. Dejan doesn't. Actually, the Trib is pretty much garbage except for Yohe.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Wait, in a rush to get the story and an exclusive report, a reporter reports false news? O RLY?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Dude, I'm a journalist myself. If I spew horsesh*t like that, somebody is going to tear me a new one. Saying that he did exactly what he is supposed to do is quite a stretch.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Krom on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 pm

columbia wrote:Hopefully we'll get the Rostov the story today.

Please don't Boris with the details.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:54 pm

How long did Letang miss with his concussions last year? I thought he had two.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:55 pm

If Gene hears of Sid poaching with RDJN; he'll be back soon. :D fingers-crossed & candles lit.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Krom wrote:
columbia wrote:Hopefully we'll get the Rostov the story today.

Please don't Boris with the details.

About time this thread gets back on Traktor.

Gulag it like that!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I now have another thing to Chekov my list: Russian puns
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Samara good, Samara bad.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Newspapers should NEVER report anything unless there are multiple concrete sources backing it up. That was clearly not the case with Rossi and the Trib. Its horrible reporting and a complete disservice to the general public.

Shouldn't be surprised though. The media across the board in this country is a sick joke.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Dude, I'm a journalist myself. If I spew horsesh*t like that, somebody is going to tear me a new one. Saying that he did exactly what he is supposed to do is quite a stretch.

Then, as a journalist, you know that Rob Rossi is a BEAT WRITER. You also know that beat writers have daily column inches to fill, especially when assigned to sports that are either in season or are highly popular and drive readership/web traffic. If he is not first, his column is not read the most.

Again, my original point... He's obnoxious, but we aren't sitting here talking about Shelly Anderson...
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Dude, he writes for a newspaper. They are supposed to get the facts before they publish anything. He doesn't. Dejan doesn't. Actually, the Trib is pretty much garbage except for Yohe.

Josh Yohe is good. Granted, he isn't printed as often as Rossi or Dejan, so he could be about the same as them, just less frequent.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Fair point.

re: your earlier post
Last edited by Gaucho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Newspapers should NEVER report anything unless there are multiple concrete sources backing it up. That was clearly not the case with Rossi and the Trib. Its horrible reporting and a complete disservice to the general public.

Shouldn't be surprised though. The media across the board in this country is a sick joke.

About Iran, I agree... about sports though? How many sources can there be about a player injury?
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Pitt87 wrote:About Iran, I agree... about sports though? How many sources can there be about a player injury?

The way he's claiming one of his sources was in the room as Malkin was being looked at suggests that their either is no source or his source is on the medical staff and isn't supposed to be giving him the information. The fact that he's writing this stuff with such conviction suggests me to believe it's the latter. It also means we'll never know for sure because nobody on the medical staff is going to speak up and if Rossi outs them then they're out of a job and he's out of a source.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins