Game 18 vs. Panthers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 18 vs. Panthers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:56 am

Pens win 3-1

- Malkin is likely injured in some way, how could he not be. Word is he was seen walking late Friday night (good news hopefully)
- Pather's are a banged up group, not able to put a solid proven team on the ice right now. Not a measuring stick game as they say.
- Jeffrey was motivated and showed he deserves more ice time, with Malkin's possible injury, he'll get it
- In third, Sid lost a pplay draw, but his hustle and hockey sense allowed him to intercept a FLA clear, crazy good hockey player
- Rebound game for a lot of Pens players (Martin, Niskanen, Orpik).
- Pens PowerPlay gets another, the elements of chaos make it both hard to defend and hard to evaluate :) :?
- Kennedy team lowest 8:56 ice time, but made some good plays to gain zone, which resulted in good chances. (These kind of plays don't show up on stat sheets)
- MAF was good, didn't need to be stellar. MAF's postgame headbutt to Vokoun will leave a mark :P
- Panthers might have something in "the alien" Markstrom. Huge goalie w/ huge five hole (Errey made me laugh w/that)
- Root showed clip of HCDB "chewing out" team during Flyer game. Some media made issue out of HCDB not doing that exact thing... interesting choice to show that clip.
- Did Errey say at one point Weaver was a former Pen? Don't think so, but he's gotten a lot better over the years, solid and strong for a smaller dman
- Losing is imprinted on many of FLA veterans. On the Pens goals, FLA veterans acted like it was nothing, sad to see. GMRS, don't trade for FLA players please.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 18 vs. Panthers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby tfrizz on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:07 am

* Malkin - Rossi reporting this morning that he's suffering from concussion-like symptoms
* MAF back on top, tied with Price for league lead with 9 wins
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 am

Weaver was signed by the Pens in July 2007, then placed on waivers in October and claimed by the Canucks.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 am

-Good bounceback and tough one to be motivated for, it was opposite end of excitement spectrum compared to Flyers game.
-PP - I agree to some extent with 'elements of chaos' being hard to defend, though I long for two units that put players in their most effective positions, something like:
#1: Sutter (RH shot left boards) - Neal (wide slot right) - Malkin (half boards)
Niskanen - Martin (QB)
#2: Kennedy (RH shot left boards) - Kunitz (slot) - Crosby (half boards)
Letang (QB) - Despres
-Much prefer Despres-Letang, Niskanen-Engeland, Nisky had some good shots and his best overall game since injury. Not much else to say about the D, they didn't have too much to do!
-Sad that Vitale sat, great for DJ to get the goal (though he made a few gafs early, lots of rust). Would like to keep Vitale on the 4th (he grinds, draws penalties, wins faceoffs - ideal 4th c) and insert DJ over TK, think he'd work well with Sutter but will see how injury situation plays out.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:34 am

After that jarring collision with the board, who wouldn’t have a sore neck and a headache. I am hoping against all, not a concussion for Gene.
At the game, the crowd was supportive and loud; I was expecting a petulant one after Wednesday’s game.
FLOWER
I thought Kris Letang had a good overall defensive game.
2 points, but can’t enjoy it with Evgeni being injured.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 am

I'm glad that DJ and Kennedy got on the score sheet.
With Malkin out for ???, these guys will have a huge reminder that they are playing for their contract (wherever that might be) and need to produce.
Last edited by columbia on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby silentom on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 am

Seemed like they kept on the gas and played well for most of sixty. Maybe Kennedy is bench will wake him up. 3 minutes in 2nd if I recall? Hopefully Geno is good to go tomorrow.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joopen on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Looks like it is Geno's turn to miss some time. Can't seem to keep these 2 healthy at the same time for very long. Hope that Sid does his best Geno impression and just takes this team on his back with Malkin out. Jeffrey will undoubtedly get his chance to show he belongs in the NHL now. Hopefully Malkin doesn't miss much time at all but I can't imagine he misses none with the violence of that crash.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IMFC on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Pretty much the game I was looking for - play solid against a team we should beat, limit their chances, get some secondary scoring, good game for MAF.

Nice for filly to have the let down game against them and not us. Good sign, I like our chances.

Not happy about you saying something nice about kennedy - please conform to the hate wagon rules.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:42 pm

I presume that Kennedy will take the hint re: his ice time and rededicate himself to being useful.
The clock is ticking, if he wants another contract with PGH.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:57 pm

The Panthers may be a banged up group and not a very good team right now but that same team did beat the Flyers the previous night, albiet right after the Flyers shot their collective wads vs the Islanders and Pens their previous two games.

BEPF
Last edited by Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Any thoughts on BB? Got more ice on the top(?) line, didn't drag them down but doesn't 'fit' there IMO. Will be interesting to see how lines shake out if Geno is injured. On that note, perhaps the crash knocked some sense into him, we might see the Malkin we know and love! (of course I jest and really hope we don't have to start using the 'C' word again)
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 pm

- I officially "hate" those blue jerseys.
- Lazy, lethargic game until the 3rd.
- Malkin neck meat... ugh.
- A win is a win, but this could have been played better.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Kennedy desreves to sit, he was brutal. Malkin should take a few games off just to be sure. He's played more than anyone at this point and a break will do him good. Despres should never sit healthy again and get Bortuzzo with Nisky:

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Bennett-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Boychuk-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Despres
Martin-Orpik
Nisky-Bortuzzo

This can give us some good looks like Jeffrey getting a higher profile role, Boychuk with Sutter and get those 6 on defense playing well and making those rookie mistakes now, not that they make them any more than Orpik and Letang, so April no one thinks of them as rookies.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby silentom on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Seemed like they kept on the gas and played well for most of sixty. Maybe Kennedy is bench will wake him up. 3 minutes in 2nd if I recall? Hopefully Geno is good to go tomorrow.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:- I officially "hate" those blue jerseys.

I disagree with points 2 and 4. They completely dominated puck possession and the physical side of the game pretty much the whole game. THIS was not lazy or lethargic at all. The idea that winning a systematic 3-1 game by wearing down a lesser team who had played the night before is EXACTLY what this team needed to do.

Had their goalie not played as well as he did, it could have been much worse.

If you wanted them to win 7-0, that is the exact mentality that produces those horrific losses like the Leafs game at home.

I was thoroughly entertained.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:27 pm

during the 2nd period, pens had the puck for 1-2 mins in their zone... I swear I saw brooks rush the net , fla 's net , :P with the puck. I hope Brooks doesn't have any injuries from his smash into the boards.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:38 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

I disagree with points 2 and 4. They completely dominated puck possession and the physical side of the game pretty much the whole game. THIS was not lazy or lethargic at all. The idea that winning a systematic 3-1 game by wearing down a lesser team who had played the night before is EXACTLY what this team needed to do.

If you wanted them to win 7-0, that is the exact mentality that produces those horrific losses like the Leafs game at home.

I was not as entertained as normal, could have been the hangover from the Cryers game. Sure they had puck possession but I was constantly yelling "shoooooot". But that's me, I enjoy back and fourth hockey. I guess my "lazy and lethargic" was more directed to me. :) They did look dominant at times but they refused to shoot at times which drive me nuts.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:54 pm

DelPen wrote:Kennedy desreves to sit, he was brutal. Malkin should take a few games off just to be sure. He's played more than anyone at this point and a break will do him good. Despres should never sit healthy again and get Bortuzzo with Nisky:

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Bennett-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Boychuk-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Despres
Martin-Orpik
Nisky-Bortuzzo

This can give us some good looks like Jeffrey getting a higher profile role, Boychuk with Sutter and get those 6 on defense playing well and making those rookie mistakes now, not that they make them any more than Orpik and Letang, so April no one thinks of them as rookies.

Kennedy was bad at times, but he figured in on Nisky's goal with good work on the wall and created the turnover on Jeffreys goal. That's more than he's done in a long time. Bortuzzo and Engelland are basically the same player other than age. Bort has more foot speed, but lacks balance. Ends up on his ass when giving or receiving a hit. Pretty much a wash. Yes, Despres needs to play every night, totally agree.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:54 pm

The Panthers were just keeping the Pens to the outside, playing a 5 man Pk box. It was refreshing on that later powerplay to see the 2nd unit come out and get the puck right on net after the first unit had been passing around the zone the whole time.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Juice on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:01 pm

silentom wrote:Seemed like they kept on the gas and played well for most of sixty. Maybe Kennedy is bench will wake him up. 3 minutes in 2nd if I recall? Hopefully Geno is good to go tomorrow.

ah the old almost 2 hours later repost... lol?
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Sure they had puck possession but I was constantly yelling "shoooooot"..

Eww, you're one of those people.

The Pens dominated an opponent that they should have. If they had a better puck possession game against a team like Philly they might not give up 5 or 6 goals everytime they play them in the run and gun hockey you're so entertained by. And maybe they'd win.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:02 pm

DelPen wrote:Kennedy desreves to sit, he was brutal. Malkin should take a few games off just to be sure. He's played more than anyone at this point and a break will do him good. Despres should never sit healthy again and get Bortuzzo with Nisky:

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Bennett-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Boychuk-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Despres
Martin-Orpik
Nisky-Bortuzzo

I could be wrong but I think I heard DB say, during the post game interview, if Malkin misses the next game Sutter will center the 2nd line and Jeffrey will be on the 3rd line. My guess is Neal will most likely stay on the 2nd line too with Dupuis on the top line. Then again DB shuffles lines like a Vegas dealer shuffles cards so who knows.
stonewizard51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins