Orpik - Official LGP Whipping Boy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Orpik - Official LGP Whipping Boy

Postby Godric on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Its bout time we had a new one!

With Kunitz and Martin killing it this year.... It came down to Kennedy and Orpik
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Orpik - Official LGP Whipping Boy

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Huh? You are starting to rival BEPF's thread starting.

"So that one save by Fleury in the second period...."

"I thought about the Pens while I brushed my teeth today"

"I know theres 9 threads about this but I'll start my own.."
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Godric on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:16 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Huh? You are starting to rival BEPF's thread starting.

I can't even remember the last thread I started. Its been awhile.

You know you don't have to post in this thread right? Quit trolling, you're not a mod and no one cares what you think.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Godric wrote:

You know you don't have to post in this thread right? Quit trolling, you're not a mod and no one cares what you think.

A: I was trying to kind of joke around with you.
B: The last thread you started was Fire Bylsma. aka Corey Perry. It wasnt that long ago.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 am

Play nice kids....#44 is OK in my book.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20 am

Of all people this year...Orpik? That can't be right...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Godric wrote:

A: I was trying to kind of joke around with you.
B: The last thread you started was Fire Bylsma. aka Corey Perry. It wasnt that long ago.

I am sorry, I'm an ass sincerely
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 am

Kennedy, AINEC.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:40 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Play nice kids....#44 is OK in my book.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:42 am

CERV96 wrote:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

Guinness wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:46 am

I actually think this team is pretty solid and people are desperate for a whipping boy but just can't find one so they begin to nitpick the smallest details searching for one. Quit complaining people. If anything Letang would be whipping boy.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am

Pavel Bure wrote:I actually think this team is pretty solid and people are desperate for a whipping boy but just can't find one so they begin to nitpick the smallest details searching for one. Quit complaining people. If anything Letang would be whipping boy.

Letang? Top 10 defenseman in the NHL and will probably be on team Canada in the Olympics.

Honestly can't even tell if you're joking or not.

Tyler Kennedy isn't even a NHL player in my opinion. So funny watching him the last 2 games fumble around the ice. His body is horizontal, always falling over, more than he's standing up. Little grinder who can only be effective in a 5 foot area around the boards. Hasn't improved on barely any skill sets, completely peaked, getting completely overpaid by almost a full Million.

All they kept saying was "hes a +5 in the last week". Guy didn't do anything for 16 games then chips in a garbage goal around the net. Boychuk looks better, and Boychuk is bad.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 am

Nizzy wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I actually think this team is pretty solid and people are desperate for a whipping boy but just can't find one so they begin to nitpick the smallest details searching for one. Quit complaining people. If anything Letang would be whipping boy.

Letang? Top 10 defenseman in the NHL and will probably be on team Canada in the Olympics.

Honestly can't even tell if you're joking or not.

Tyler Kennedy isn't even a NHL player in my opinion. So funny watching him the last 2 games fumble around the ice. His body is horizontal, always falling over, more than he's standing up. Little grinder who can only be effective in a 5 foot area around the boards. Hasn't improved on barely any skill sets, completely peaked, getting completely overpaid by almost a full Million.

All they kept saying was "hes a +5 in the last week". Guy didn't do anything for 16 games then chips in a garbage goal around the net. Boychuk looks better, and Boychuk is bad.

That's what I mean. Kennedy is such a marginal role player he can't really be whipping boy. Letang is pretty awesome but we nitpick his shooting/passing. Orpik goes against top talent night in and out so if a team has a good game people want to cry about him. Look at the Voracek goal that won Philly the game, came from below the goal line with Orpik all over him. There's no way that shot should ever go in but Orpik got blamed despite crushing Voracek right before that and being all over him forcing a shot from a terrible place on the ice. This team is pretty good right now and people just want something to complain about.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 am

Kennedy is a 3rd line player making 2.0M to produce, and he doesn't do anything. Marginal? It's Marginal because he is that way. Cooke and Dupuis do so much more, and more consistently. Kennedy could be replaced for a cheaper player, and just get the same thing if not more.

This is the best defense we've had since 2009 cup win. Nothing on the defense is whipping worthy. Orpik has some age, he will be rotated into the bottom pairing eventually and hopefully a Pen for life.

This is an insult to Brooks.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:38 am

Nizzy wrote:Kennedy is a 3rd line player making 2.0M to produce, and he doesn't do anything. Marginal? It's Marginal because he is that way. Cooke and Dupuis do so much more, and more consistently. Kennedy could be replaced for a cheaper player, and just get the same thing if not more.

This is the best defense we've had since 2009 cup win. Nothing on the defense is whipping worthy. Orpik has some age, he will be rotated into the bottom pairing eventually and hopefully a Pen for life.

Kennedy through his career has been a .48ppg player. Right now he's scoring at .44ppg. If he scores one more point in his next game he'll be at 5 points in 10 games scoring above his career average. He is 26 years old and has a 20 goal season under him 2 years ago (when he got 1st PP time). He's a typical 3rd liner. He'll net you ~15 goals a year and 30-40 points. He doesn't PK, he gets 2nd PP time, he goes out to get the puck deep or get a stoppage in the other team's zone. He's the same as he's always been so I don't really get the hate. If he can be moved great, if he can't that's still whatever. He's gonna be a RFA still and could be kept for cheap. I don't know what people are expecting out of the guy.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Kennedy is a 3rd line player making 2.0M to produce, and he doesn't do anything. Marginal? It's Marginal because he is that way. Cooke and Dupuis do so much more, and more consistently. Kennedy could be replaced for a cheaper player, and just get the same thing if not more.

Kennedy through his career has been a .48ppg player. Right now he's scoring at .44ppg. If he scores one more point in his next game he'll be at 5 points in 10 games scoring above his career average. He is 26 years old and has a 20 goal season under him 2 years ago (when he got 1st PP time). He's a typical 3rd liner. He'll net you ~15 goals a year and 30-40 points. He doesn't PK, he gets 2nd PP time, he goes out to get the puck deep or get a stoppage in the other team's zone. He's the same as he's always been so I don't really get the hate. If he can be moved great, if he can't that's still whatever. He's gonna be a RFA still and could be kept for cheap. I don't know what people are expecting out of the guy.

.44ppg?

he has 2 goals in 18 games this season???????

This is like saying, Crosby has 3 points in his last game, so he's at 3.0 PPG average. Kennedy goes completely invisible for weeks. WEEKS. The only reason I've been noticing the last 2 games is because he's been falling more often. If he was making 600k as a 4th liner that is great. He's a bum. 20 goals riding off Jordan's wing. He's actually been worse this year and even if we got the "same Kennedy" there are far better options out there for a 3rd line winger, especially at 2 million.

He scored 20 goals, got 4 Million dollar 2 year deal, and has 13 goals since.. It's what Bylsma said he's a blue-collar guy, he can dump and chase. He doesn't win 1v1 battles anymore.

Last, look at what we get from Dupuis and Cooke for under 2.0M. Kennedy doesnt even come close. I'd rather have Colby Armstrong right now on the 3rd line than Tyler Kennedy. Jeffrey should never be benched again in place of Kennedy.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 am

mikey287 wrote:Of all people this year...Orpik? That can't be right...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 am

I misread his stat line for this year, that's my fault. I'm not here to defend Kennedy from all things evil but come on the guy is a 3rd liner, on the last year of his deal, making only 2M who up to this point still had the track record of being invisible for weeks. He's not really different than he ever was. Staal certainly made him (and Cooke) better but he's not as bad as people want to make him out to be. If he can be moved then great a guy like Vitale, Boychuk, Glass can move up a line or be inserted and an AHL guy can play 4th line minutes. Kennedy is hardly something to be upset about though, he's like the stink bug that gets into your house that you just have to pick up in TP and throw in your toilet. Annoying but hardly something to get mad about.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am

Mikey said it best, Kennedy has peaked. However I'm not sure why. I don't know why this guy doesnt watch tape of Martin St. Louis constantly. MSL was also on Tampa's PK during cup years and after. He does it all, no reason why Kennedy should just be a dump n chaser. Its like he's exactly the same since 2007. Instead you watch how much better Dupuis has become in a 200 foot game, Cooke has completely redesigned his game and puts consistent points up. Low points but at least he is somewhat consistent, and for the price its way better than Kennedy. Max Talbot went from worse than a Kennedy, fringe 4th liner, to blowing up, and turning completely clutch in the cup run.

We could have Max Talbot on the 3rd line Center/wing, instead of Tyler Kennedy at 2.0. We could have Max at 2.0.

They picked the wrong guy. Shero didn't pick the clutch goal scorer in Talbot that can play anywhere in the lineup and produce, who can do faceoffs and P.K., instead he picked T.K. because he hit the magic number of 20. Talbot is so much better than Kennedy when you look at full skill sets and what evreything that they can do.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:56 am

Pavel Bure wrote:I misread his stat line for this year, that's my fault. I'm not here to defend Kennedy from all things evil but come on the guy is a 3rd liner, on the last year of his deal, making only 2M who up to this point still had the track record of being invisible for weeks. He's not really different than he ever was. Staal certainly made him (and Cooke) better but he's not as bad as people want to make him out to be. If he can be moved then great a guy like Vitale, Boychuk, Glass can move up a line or be inserted and an AHL guy can play 4th line minutes. Kennedy is hardly something to be upset about though, he's like the stink bug that gets into your house that you just have to pick up in TP and throw in your toilet. Annoying but hardly something to get mad about.

It's cool, NP. I just think we could have a much better player in that spot than him. If we had a different coach TK wouldn't be getting his 13 minutes a night still. Just the grinder life on Bylsma's team.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:57 am

Nizzy wrote:Mikey said it best, Kennedy has peaked. However I'm not sure why. I don't know why this guy doesnt watch tape of Martin St. Louis constantly. MSL was also on Tampa's PK during cup years and after. He does it all, no reason why Kennedy should just be a dump n chaser. Its like he's exactly the same since 2007. Instead you watch how much better Dupuis has become in a 200 foot game, Cooke has completely redesigned his game and puts consistent points up. Low points but at least he is somewhat consistent, and for the price its way better than Kennedy. Max Talbot went from worse than a Kennedy, fringe 4th liner, to blowing up, and turning completely clutch in the cup run.

We could have Max Talbot on the 3rd line Center/wing, instead of Tyler Kennedy at 2.0. We could have Max at 2.0.

They picked the wrong guy. Shero didn't pick the clutch goal scorer in Talbot that can play anywhere in the lineup and produce, who can do faceoffs and P.K., instead he picked T.K. because he hit the magic number of 20. Talbot is so much better than Kennedy when you look at full skill sets and what evreything that they can do.

Talbot? You're going to use Talbot here to say Shero made a mistake. Talbot who was just as bad as Kennedy is before leaving, Talbot who forgot what made him such a good player in the first place, Talbot who got more money and years from the Flyers than anyone else was willing to offer. You're going to use Kennedy to grind your ax about Talbot? Come on. Talbot...

Non-sarcasm though Talbot was awful at the time he left here and felt slighted that the Pens weren't going to pay him more money for longer years. He wasn't going to round back into shape here. It took going to Philly and him thinking he had something to prove to make him play like the Talbot we all fell in love with.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:59 am

The epitome of Kennedy's awfulness occurred last night, when he suddenly found himself with the puck about 12 feet from the net, and NOBODY between himself and Garon. So what does he do? He panics and fires an awful wrister at a bad angle right into Garon's chest and the scoring chance is neutralized.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 am

The topic of this thread looks like it was written by someone who was reading a google archive version of this site from last year but actually has neven watched a Penguins game and has no idea that it was archived from 12 months ago.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 am

I have yet to really see Orpik play awful. No reason for him to be the whipping boy.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins