Eaton signed to a one year deal.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eaton signed to a one year deal.

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:
pcm wrote:I really want to see Bortuzzo in the playoffs. He looks like a quiet kind of guy, with a monster hidden away inside him. If pairing him with Niskanen on the bottom pair and moving Despres up to the top 4 means they both get to play and Engelland sits, then I'm all for it.

I agree completely. Bylsma is hell bent on playing Engelland and Adams every single game. They are valuable players, but they'd be better for depth. Vitale has more speed and energy than Adams and he wins more draws. Bortuzzo and Despres are both better then Engelland right now, and they will improve ONLY WITH playing time. My point is, players with an upside need to play, or they won't get better. I think a better coach could get more out of guys like Glass, Vitale, and Kennedy, quite frankly. And Bortuzzo and Despres either need to play every night, be traded, or go back to WBS and play every night.

I disagree with your comparison of Vitale to Adams in the context of your post because Adams isn't playing at Vitale's expense. They're on the same line.

I also disagree that they need to play Despres and Bortuzzo every game. They need to play, yes, but not every game, especially in a shortened season like this where you're playing basically every other night. I'm also afraid of throwing out an all-rookie pairing during the playoffs.

Also, a better coach couldn't get more out of Vitale, Kennedy, and Glass because frankly, they don't really have much more to give.

Vitale and Glass are playing exactly like you'd want them to. Glass was brought in because he was very close to the league lead in hits last season, he's a pain to play against. Vitale just has a fire under him, like Max Talbot when he cared. Kennedy... I hope he starts stringing together some nice play about 2 weeks before April 1st.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 pm

BleuLineLady wrote:There is no absolutely no way I would trade Despres. He's 20, so young and going to be really good down the road. Same thing with Bortuzzo. Both need to be in the lineup every night.

I like how Niskanen has played, but probably a number 5 on the D. Engelland needs to be the teams #7 or sent in part of a trade. He is not part of the future. We will just have to see how things progress with Martin and Orpik over the course of the rest of this year and next, although I think Orpik's leadership on the team will always put him ahead of Martin in the pecking order. Pay Letang what he is due. He is part of the core of this team and is that good imo and is still very young.

yeah, all that is true, but we have guys that are probably better than both despres and bortuzzo who are going to be ready in a couple years. as it stands, despres is probably the 4th or 5th best d man on our main roster, and once letang, martin, and orpik are gone, we'll have all those young guys we've stockpiled ready to go. With that in mind, i don't see despres being any higher than a 2nd pairing guy here. That's not to say he won't be a quality player, or isn't a legit NHL'er now. All I'm saying is that if we can deal from a position of strength to bolster a position of weakness, and we're giving up a player who isn't an every night player now, and probably won't ever be the #1 guy on this team. If we can get a solid young forward for like 3 or 4 years who can put up 25+ goals, i think we'd be a better team, even if it meant giving up despres.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:15 pm

i should also add that the signing of eaton doesn't make despres expendable. two completely unrelated things
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:15 pm

When did Despres' value plummet to the point that we have guys that are "probably better" than him?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:When did Despres' value plummet to the point that we have guys that are "probably better" than him?

personally, i think morrow and harrington have more upside. just my opinion.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Froggy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:When did Despres' value plummet to the point that we have guys that are "probably better" than him?

personally, i think morrow and harrington have more upside. just my opinion.

I don't have anything to base that on. I do know that Despres has looked quite calm and adept with the NHL game already. He's a good skater and makes smooth passes, he also seems to have added a physical edge to his game without taking himself out of position. He's looking pretty good.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 pm

You aren't the only person who has said something like that. I don't know, but I haven't seen those statements based on anything other than recent prospect projections, which seem to be very similar to the ones I saw about Despres very recently.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:26 pm

point being, despres as a current nhl'er probably would fetch a higher value in a trade this year. we would be able to survive on D without him this year, and have the cavalry on the way when the spare parts like niskanen and engelland go away.

also, now you can bring a guy like kennedy into the mix as a throw in, and maybe get a rental d-man for your bottom pairing, too (for all the kennedy haters out there)

i'm not knocking despres. i think he's good. i don't value him as high as a lot of people here do, and i admitted that earlier. i just think that we're going to have to trade at least one of these young guys at some point. and if the right deal came up, i think despres could bring us a good return.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Froggy wrote:point being, despres as a current nhl'er probably would fetch a higher value in a trade this year. we would be able to survive on D without him this year, and have the cavalry on the way when the spare parts like niskanen and engelland go away.

also, now you can bring a guy like kennedy into the mix as a throw in, and maybe get a rental d-man for your bottom pairing, too (for all the kennedy haters out there)

i'm not knocking despres. i think he's good. i don't value him as high as a lot of people here do, and i admitted that earlier. i just think that we're going to have to trade at least one of these young guys at some point. and if the right deal came up, i think despres could bring us a good return.

Or Despres plays a full year next year in the top 4 and raises his trade value even higher. If you're trading Despres right now you're not getting much. He's currently an unproven rookie. Now if he goes through a playoff run and plays from the start next year without visiting the press box he would have some real value. His value right now is nothing more than a throw in on a trade.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 pm

I dunno, still scratching my head. I guess it's a signing for insurance purposes. I mean, a 36 year old defenseman who hasn't played an NHL game in a full calendar year and was passed on by all 30 teams over the summer. Maybe he's being groomed for Reirden's job/
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 pm

pugilist13 wrote:I dunno, still scratching my head. I guess it's a signing for insurance purposes. I mean, a 36 year old defenseman who hasn't played an NHL game in a full calendar year and was passed on by all 30 teams over the summer. Maybe he's being groomed for Reirden's job/

8-) the coach who plays with his team...

I saw a quote that Eaton would play for free, if he could.
The rust will be all over the ice... :P
Good luck M Eaton.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Froggy wrote:point being, despres as a current nhl'er probably would fetch a higher value in a trade this year. we would be able to survive on D without him this year, and have the cavalry on the way when the spare parts like niskanen and engelland go away.

i don't think you trade depres until the big picture is more realized. also, i think you need to look for ways to pump up his value before considering a move. goligoski looked about twice as good on paper as he did on the ice, so we were able to sell him at an artificial high point. if the right cards fall, maybe we can see the same thing happen with depres.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 pm

I wonder if Eaton gets the start tonight? probably best possible time too, Start of a road trip against a team that is in the lower half of the standings.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I wonder if Eaton gets the start tonight? probably best possible time too, Start of a road trip against a team that is in the lower half of the standings.

Before you set half of this board into panic:

@penguins
Eaton will not play tonight, per coach Bylsma #Pens
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Beveridge wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I wonder if Eaton gets the start tonight? probably best possible time too, Start of a road trip against a team that is in the lower half of the standings.

Before you set half of this board into panic:

@penguins
Eaton will not play tonight, per coach Bylsma #Pens

Haha well there goes that
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm

This morning it showed Eaton and Martin as #7 on the roster page... I heard on the radio (forget whether it was Benz or on TribLive) that he would wear #4.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Froggy wrote:Controversial opinion: despres is worth more long term in a trade than he is in our line up.

If Bylsma isn't interested in using him they might as well trade him while he has value.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Rocco wrote:
Froggy wrote:Controversial opinion: despres is worth more long term in a trade than he is in our line up.

If Bylsma isn't interested in using him they might as well trade him while he has value.

Kulemin and Gunnarsson might be worth it or something else like that. I'd look for another deal like Goligoski for Neal/Niskanen, they are out there.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Eaton's points as a Pen are.... equal to Engelland, but in 54 more games played :pop:

(FWIW, Engelland is +11, and Eaton +8 as a Pen)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Bylsma isn't interested in using Despres?
That's news.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:04 pm

relantel wrote:Eaton's points as a Pen are.... equal to Engelland, but in 54 more games played :pop:

...csb?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:22 pm

relantel wrote:Eaton's points as a Pen are.... equal to Engelland, but in 54 more games played :pop:

NUMBUR OFF STANLEE KUPS EETIN ONE ENGLAND ZEROE BOOM!
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:47 pm

DelPen wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Kulemin and Gunnarsson might be worth it or something else like that. I'd look for another deal like Goligoski for Neal/Niskanen, they are out there.

I agree, if the offer is right, you make the trade. Despres may turn out to be a star in this league, he could be average, or wash out completely. But Whitney fetched Kunitz and Gogo brought in Nisky and Neal (which is most impressive because both those guys are young). Could RS strike gold three times? It'll be tougher now because Gogo and Whitney were already established players. But teams always seem willing to part with talent up front in exchange for talent on the blue line.

But one thing is certain: there's no use watching Matt Cooke play on Malkin's wing for the rest of the season while Despres sits in the press box. I believe Beau is the real deal but he needs more seasoning (not to mention more physical strength, his wrist still isn't 100%), and Bortuzzo could end up being a rugged defender and a fan favorite. What's not to like about that kid (other then the fact that he falls down a lot)?

And Letang, Nisky, and Bortuzzo are young, not even in their prime yet. Orpik and Martin are not going anywhere and Morrow is waiting in the wings. I don't see where Despres fits in, at least not now.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins