Eaton signed to a one year deal.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eaton signed to a one year deal.

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:20 pm

pcm wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Well, if the right offer comes along...

Yeah, it's true. We really don't need Despres right now with the emergence of Niskanen and Martin. But trading him seems like a fool's move, like trading Letang in 2009. I'd rather wait and see how Morrow or Harrington look in the NHL before trading one of them. And I don't think he's quite ready for top 4 minutes, so moving Niskanen is not really an option either without weakening the team (his trade value would be less than value to us). I suppose we could move Bort, but he looks like Orpik's replacement, ie. exactly the type of defensemen we're lacking.

I'd rather keep Despres, but I wasn't keen on trading Gogo either and that turned out pretty good. We'll see, I guess.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Yeah, this is at the very worst a no risk/no reward move. He's a former Shero guy who is a decent last resort on d. He was probably a good veteran presence in practice, and worth about a third of a minimum contract to keep around.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Gaucho wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:it is the signings like this that tarnish the RS star. mind blowing. This is not the Eaton people remember, this is the Eaton no other team valued.

It's a pure depth signing, insurance. It tarnishes bupkis.

That doesn't make him worthless, Craig Adams was a player no one else wanted.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm

At this very time, it's nothing more than a press box filler with open roster spot. No point in bringing up someone to sit. Salary cap isn't an issue or causes one for trading. He's been practicing with team, so why not?

I would be shocked when Malkin comes back, and no other injuries, if Eaton isn't the one sent down.

If no other teams wanted him, he will clear waivers and if he doesn't, oh well.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimreb on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Hey the Pens haven't won the Cup since Mark Eaton left, just saying :)
Spoiler:
Miroslav Satan can't be far behind
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm

HEY GUYS CAN HIS NEW NICKNAME BE "EATON PARK"? WE CAN PHOTOSHOP THE SMILEY COOKIE ON HIS FACE

EDIT:

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimreb on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:39 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:HEY GUYS CAN HIS NEW NICKNAME BE "EATON PARK"? WE CAN PHOTOSHOP THE SMILEY COOKIE ON HIS FACE

EDIT:

Too bad Richard Park isn't still on the team. A Goal by Eaton assisted by Park could be brought to you by Eat N Park or at least good for a free breakfast buffet.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:44 pm

If Eaton Park dishes off a sweet pass to the COOKIE MONSTER, FREE EAT N PARK COOKIES
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Luckily he'll break a nail in practice and be on IR given his fragility the last few years. I don't want to see Mark Charmin in the lineup. They're not carrying 8 defensemen. Sending Depres to WBS or getting rid of Bortuzzo for this washed up bum isn't an improvement.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 pm

So eaton plays a game or two on this three game road trip that Geno is missing. Either we trade a D man for an addition to the top 9, or one of the 8 on the roster gets sent down. Just because we signed Eaton doesn't mean we can't send him back to WBS. I doubt anyone claims him off waivers, and if they do, good for him.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Am I missing something? Seems to me Despres and Bertuzzo were doing just fine in their limited roles. Why this?

I get that with Geno on IR opens a spot, but why fill it with a dman?

I confused.

They lack sufficient veteranosity, therefore they can't play unless it's an emergency and if the coach has been heavily medicated.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Meh.. I don't see the need. Despres has been getting better each game, Bertuzzo has been sufficient. This defense is veteran enough to allow 1 kid on it each night.

I still don't get it. Maybe Shero is planning ahead for the wheels to fall off the Martin train.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Meh.. I don't see the need. Despres has been getting better each game, Bertuzzo has been sufficient. This defense is veteran enough to allow 1 kid on it each night.

And I don't see why signing Eaton contradicts that notion.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Gaucho wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:it is the signings like this that tarnish the RS star. mind blowing. This is not the Eaton people remember, this is the Eaton no other team valued.

It depends, If he plays over Depres, it tarnishes everything
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm

stopper40 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

It depends, If he plays over Depres, it tarnishes everything

Yes. If.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Oh, its "if", I thought it was a foregone conclusion. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm

Curious move. If we were gonna sign someone I thought it would fill a needed role or make a player like Engelland more expandable...this doesn't appear to do either...he was awful on the Islanders, let's hope he's not awful here...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Steve Dave wrote:So I'm guessing Malkin to IR to make room for Eaton. When Malkin returns, who goes? Boychuk? Dman trade?

I would think Eaton goes to WB. Chance of a claim would be very small. But then again, Sneep is in the NHL.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Gaucho wrote:

Rod Bupkis?
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm

ville5 wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:So I'm guessing Malkin to IR to make room for Eaton. When Malkin returns, who goes? Boychuk? Dman trade?

I would think Eaton goes to WB. Chance of a claim would be very small. But then again, Sneep is in the NHL.

Yeah, you just waive Eaton...who cares if he gets claimed...he could have been "claimed" for the last 8 months...Sneep is in the NHL because all of Dallas' d-men are incapacitated...

Daley, Larsen and Rome are banged up...at best, they aren't 100% I don't think...

Their call-ups: Nemeth, Fortunus and Sloan are all hurt...

Basically, they have:

Dillon-Robidas
Goligoski-Oleksiak
Jo.Benn-Sneep

It looks like Trevor Daley will be able to give it a go tonight, but it can't hurt to have Sneep on hand as they play tomorrow in Columbus too...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:39 pm

mikey287 wrote:Curious move. If we were gonna sign someone I thought it would fill a needed role or make a player like Engelland more expandable...this doesn't appear to do either...he was awful on the Islanders, let's hope he's not awful here...

If the playoffs roll round and the D is decimated with injury (let's pray not) he might be a good fall back over a total rookie though he should, under no circumstances, be playing over Despres or Bortuzzo. He is unlikely an improvement over Engel, so the possibility that this sets the scene for a trade of any of the current 7 fills me with trepidation...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Maybe they brought on Eaton so he can scare all our D prospects with scary stories of playing in Buffalo and Long Island. That way they all want to sign long term for dirt cheap to avoid being traded to the Islanders.

I guess this is a low risk move. See what roles some of the "freebies" can play before we invest in anyone at the deadline. Plus it's depth if/when someone gets hurt.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

You guys remember the Mark Eaton wins a life thread?

Good times.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

Nobody has to go, we had a roster spot left. I think so, anyway.

I don't think -- there were three scratches last night: Malkin, Boychuk, Bortuzzo. Malkin to IR creates room for Eaton temporarily, but when he is healthy, someone will have to go, and that someone likely is Boychuk.

As for the signing, I like it. As someone else said, it's a lot more reassuring having a been-there-done-that, Stanley Cup winning veteran in the press box than having a 29-year-old with fewer than one full season's worth of games under his belt. The playoffs are no joke, and Lovejoy showed last year what happens when an inexperienced bench player gets the nod...and it isn't pretty.

I don't expect Eaton to get much ice time, and I'd be very surprised if he pushes out either of the rookies. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this singing signals the end for a guy like Niskanen (whom I'd prefer to see stay) or Engelland (whom I can live without).

:thumb: Its only an insurance move in case injuries develop on defense. They must view Eaton as an improvement over Reese, and don't want to rush Morrow or Dumolin up to the NHL this season. If injuries develop he plays otherwise he sits in the press box. The only thing this forces is someone's got to go when Malkin returns assuming no further injuries.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 pm

I always liked Eaton and think this is a good move even if he rides the bench most fo the season. Having this guy to teach the young players about positioning and smart play will be important to Burtozzo and Despres development. Skill wise he is a dime a dozen but a quality character guy in the locker room never hurts.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins