Eaton signed to a one year deal.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eaton signed to a one year deal.

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:48 pm

One interpretation is that Shero sees a need for more/better veteran leadership in the locker room.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dan H on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm

100% of Stanley Cup-winning Penguins teams in the past 20 years have had Mark Eaton on the roster. Clearly he's a necessary component of a contending roster.

/hasty generalization FTW
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:01 pm

No Penguin team has ever won a Cup without a Czech on their roster. Which is why they signed Tomas Vokoun.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Tico Rick wrote:No Penguin team has ever won a Cup without a Czech on their roster. Which is why they signed Tomas Vokoun.

Was just going to post this.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Tico Rick wrote:No Penguin team has ever won a Cup without a Czech on their roster. Which is why they signed Tomas Vokoun.

Also had Vokoun wear #92.Last time a player wore #92 (Rick Tocchet)the Pens won their 2nd Stanley Cup.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Mario Lemieux has also been involved in one way or another every Cup win :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm

columbia wrote:One interpretation is that Shero sees a need for more/better veteran leadership in the locker room.

How much locker room presence does a regularly scratched player possess? I can see him as a player/coach role for the young defenseman in practices, but wonder about his ability to play a more traditional locker room stabilizing role if he's not logging much game ice time.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Mario Lemieux has also been involved in one way or another every Cup win :pop:

Yes, he was credited with an assist when he sent his inspiring text message.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Great58 wrote:
columbia wrote:One interpretation is that Shero sees a need for more/better veteran leadership in the locker room.

How much locker room presence does a regularly scratched player possess? I can see him as a player/coach role for the young defenseman in practices, but wonder about his ability to play a more traditional locker room stabilizing role if he's not logging much game ice time.

I don't remember if it was on 24/7 or not, but didn't the healthy scratches go to the locker room in between periods?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Great58 wrote:

I don't remember if it was on 24/7 or not, but didn't the healthy scratches go to the locker room in between periods?

Idk, but it seems like a valid enough reason for me to pull out my 24/7 DVD to refresh my knowledge! :fist:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:08 pm

I don't get it. Despres and Bort have more upside. Sure, Eaton is a "have been there, done that" .... but he did not do it very good.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Samuelsson on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm

If anything, Eaton is definitely a veteran presence kind of player. I kinda like it.
Samuelsson
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:50 pm

I will witness Eaton play for 4 games with the Pens.

At that point in time I will evaluate Eaton's play (from a fan's POV)

I will not comment further until I finish Eaton that time.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the riddler on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:30 pm

I don't see a problem with signing him, hopefully he can provide some good depth.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm

They've also never won a Cup without beating Washington in the playoffs, so the Caps need to get their act together.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Great58 wrote:

I've always believed "locker room presence"= "this guy sucks, but we like him and don't want to get rid of him so we say something that no one can quantify to justify keeping him around".
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Rocco wrote:
Great58 wrote:

I've always believed "locker room presence"= "this guy sucks, but we like him and don't want to get rid of him so we say something that no one can quantify to justify keeping him around".

Good point, but tell me we couldn't of found 10 other guys in the NHL in '09 who could of played as well as Bill Guerin. But Shero found the one guy who could motovate the players as well as keep them calm. To a certin degree Eaton can teach the young guys to be professionals, work ethic, preperation, determination. These are intagibles you can't gage on a scale or on a score sheet. We can only wait and see if Shero knows what he is doing with this signing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:48 pm

no name wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Great58 wrote:

Good point, but tell me we couldn't of found 10 other guys in the NHL in '09 who could of played as well as Bill Guerin. But Shero found the one guy who could motovate the players as well as keep them calm. To a certin degree Eaton can teach the young guys to be professionals, work ethic, preperation, determination. These are intagibles you can't gage on a scale or on a score sheet. We can only wait and see if Shero knows what he is doing with this signing.

Sure, but Guerin's veteran presence didn't amount to a whole lot the next year when he was pretty much shot as a player. While I am sure Guerin contributed off the ice to the cup run, he also contributed quite a bit on the ice as a top-line player who was able to finish Sid's passes. The "veteran presence" talk was secondary to the tangible contributions he made. He kept playing the next season in the same role even though his hands were shot and he was skating in quicksand. That's when the "he's great in the room" started popping up. It's like saying a baseball catcher calls a good game- there's no way for a layperson to dispute it.

If Eaton's that great at teaching young players he should be a coach. I'm skeptical that he has anything left in the tank. It's bad enough that Engelland is playing over Despres and Bortuzzo. Those two have room for growth while Engelland is more or less a mediocre player. I'm skeptical that the Pens signed Eaton just to sit in the press box and eat nachos while being a guiding hand to the younger players.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm

I just saw that Martin is a -2 while Engelland is a +8. Which pretty much tells you what a worthless stat +/- is.

Engelland +8
Letang +7
Despres +6
Bortuzzo +4
Orpik 0
Martin -2
Niskanen -2
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 pm

All it proves is that you'll have a higher rating if you played protected minutes instead of against top lines.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm

It's not a bad depth signing at all. At the trade deadline this year there won't be many teams that don't think they have a chance at the post season. That means very few options are going to be available and the ones that are available are going to have sky high prices. Especially for UFAs as teams need to prepare for the cap going down next season. So a veteran depth D who isn't signed for next season will be a lot more expensive at the trade deadline than they are now. So the question is would you rather have Eaton for free now or bid against 25 other teams at the deadline and likely pay an arm and a leg for a similar player?
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BfromD on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm

What number will he wear when eating nachos?
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:All it proves is that you'll have a higher rating if you played protected minutes instead of against top lines.

Tend to disagree a bit. Bottom pair guys and 4th liners often get stuck out there against top lines on the road, because of the last change. If +/- has any relevance at all, it's with these guys.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Did anyone actually see Eaton play last year? Must have unflattering photos of Rejean from his stops in Nashville and Pittsburgh.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins