Eaton signed to a one year deal.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eaton signed to a one year deal.

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 pm

According to those fancy stat guys, Engelland and Bortuzzo face the easiest competition on the team and Engelland starts his shift in the offensive zone more than any other defender except for Despres (by a marginal percentage). So, according to whatever it is they calculate, Engelland has just about the easiest go of it on the team...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:41 pm

I was waiting for that mikey lol.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:43 pm

pugilist13 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:All it proves is that you'll have a higher rating if you played protected minutes instead of against top lines.

Tend to disagree a bit. Bottom pair guys and 4th liners often get stuck out there against top lines on the road, because of the last change. If +/- has any relevance at all, it's with these guys.

I could see that. But it also goes the other way, that I mentioned above. I feel like, more often than not, I see the bottom pairing out with the top offensive line.

Edit: I think mikey beat me to it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 pm

pekkasteele wrote:I don't get it. Despres and Bort have more upside. Sure, Eaton is a "have been there, done that" .... but he did not do it very good.

The argument is that he isnt good now, not that he wasnt good in the past.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Per Pens Twitter...

http://t.co/vf516YuTX7

:face: Eaton sucks these days. This seems like a desperation move when none was needed. RS royally screwed up with his mismanagement of the D recently and maybe he can redeem himself with a trade or two at the deadline, but Eaton isn't a NHL-caliber these days by any measure.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:57 pm

I'd like to see Bortuzzo in the lineup more but that's just me. Maybe they plan on demoting Despres as others have said, or potentially this is veteran depth for a future trade. We'll see. You can't have too much d these days....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saints11 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 am

As much as you could see this happening, Eaton was bad on the Island last season. However, HCDB is a veterans coach. Just get the feeling they are not real confident in the play of Despres. It would not surprise me if he is being shopped to get a top 6. I for one would not be confident with a back line of Eaton and
Engelland.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:46 am

saints11 wrote:As much as you could see this happening, Eaton was bad on the Island last season. However, HCDB is a veterans coach. Just get the feeling they are not real confident in the play of Despres. It would not surprise me if he is being shopped to get a top 6. I for one would not be confident with a back line of Eaton and
Engelland.

Everyone is bad defensively on the Island.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby juicebox1 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 am

Kovy27 wrote:
saints11 wrote:As much as you could see this happening, Eaton was bad on the Island last season. However, HCDB is a veterans coach. Just get the feeling they are not real confident in the play of Despres. It would not surprise me if he is being shopped to get a top 6. I for one would not be confident with a back line of Eaton and
Engelland.

Where's the Retweet button?
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby saints11 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:34 am

I meant he was caught out of position and has slowed down. Should say something when they let him go and claimed Strait on waivers. Totally feel we get more out of Despres, Borts, and Reese. But not our call, just feel that he will be taking ice from youngsters who need that time. We have all these young d-men who will
step aside so Eaton can play? Just don't feel that we are maximizing our assets. :face:
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 am

saints11 wrote:I meant he was caught out of position and has slowed down. Should say something when they let him go and claimed Strait on waivers. Totally feel we get more out of Despres, Borts, and Reese. But not our call, just feel that he will be taking ice from youngsters who need that time. We have all these young d-men who will
step aside so Eaton can play? Just don't feel that we are maximizing our assets. :face:

Agreed.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am

All I can say is WTF RS and HCB!? We have Letang,Despres,Orpik,Martin,Niskanen,Bortuzzo,Engelland,Reese all capable of NHL time.
Okey,if he stays in AHL,but if Despres and Bortuzzo loses roster spot,because of him,this is a joke.
Engelland could be gone at deadline,but at least he can play physical hockey,Eaton is slow and soft,but positionaly better.

I really hope that DESPRES isnt traded at DEADLINE!!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 am

Interesting twist to new toy syndrome this.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 am

Kovy27 wrote:
Engelland.

Except for Strait.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 am

I kinda just feel you want a older vet in the bench position. You wouldn't promote a young guy to ride the bench in the NHL. I am sure Reese can play as well as Eaton but you are doing Reese no good by not allowing him to pick up minutes in the minors over just riding the bench up here. Eaton or any other vet would know their roll, good pick up RS.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am

At its worst, this is a completely neutral move.
I don't understand the hand wringing.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:15 am

HCDB has another veteran defenseman now, so I guess he can put Despres in the press box with Bortuzzo.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 am

Yeah, people are insane...the signing just happened and no games have been played yet...settle down those people claiming failure!

1 - RS could have a possible trade where we need the depth signing for afterwards. What if he gets the always desired on LGP Iginla or Perry for Engelland and now we need a guy to sit in the box? Haha!

2 - just because he is signed does not mean he is BETTER then one of our yound D men...maybe it just means they want to get a young D man more ice time in WBS to work on a few things before they bring him back for the end of the year/playoffs. Wouldn't hurt much, would it?

3 - what if he never sees ice time unless a D is injured (minus the occassional game to stay in shape)? That hurts nothing really. Maybe good to have a young D sit and watch the occassional game too if the coach has a few things he should work on.

4 - What if someone is fighitng an injury now and could use a rest?

5 - What if Eaton only sucked because he loved the Pens so much and he will be a Norris candidate now? (haha ok maybe you can ignore this one)

6 - What if he just signed to retire a pen and RS is just trolling LGP with the move? (that would hilarious if Eaton retires and RS is all "haha, got you LGP.com!)

The point is...nothing has happened yet so let's wait and see why the signing took place...then we can argue about it.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am

Let's follow the sequence of events here.

1. Pens go into the season knowing they have a major hole on the wing in their top 6.
2. Pens try everything to get that top 6 glued together to start season; nothing works.
3. Boychuk claimed. Put on 2nd line wing spot.
4. Lovejoy traded; Bortuzzo recalled. Despres/Bortuzzo exchange time.
5. Boychuk doesn't work; scratched. Bennett recalled.
6. Mark Eaton signed to an ATO; eventually joins team.

It seems to me like Bennett is the final option before a move to fill the need in the top 6 occurs. They're exhausting internal options. Eaton is a big part of this because if he can play, one of the young defensemen becomes expendable for a trade. And let's be frank here, losing one of them isn't an issue because the system is literally flooded with guys who are cutting their teeth at various levels.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:18 am

brwi wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Per Pens Twitter...

http://t.co/vf516YuTX7

:face: Eaton sucks these days. This seems like a desperation move when none was needed. RS royally screwed up with his mismanagement of the D recently and maybe he can redeem himself with a trade or two at the deadline, but Eaton isn't a NHL-caliber these days by any measure.

I'm not sure how he "royally screwed up with his mismanagement of the D recently." In fact, I'd say he's done well -- not great, but well. Niskanen was a mess before Pittsburgh. He's worked out. Martin appeared to be a screw up, but has demonstrated to all why he was the second most sought-after defender on the market and why Shero signed him three summers ago. Letang is Letang. Orpik is Orpik. His only mistake would be Michalek, whose game just didn't mesh well with the Pittsburgh Penguins ice hockey mentality. Other than that, he's had strong depth at the minor league level to call up when needed and he's drafted extremely well at the position. Sure, he lost Strait for nothing, but that's far from concerning, as is the loss of Lovejoy for a draft pick.

Shero may not have run things the way you would like to have seen them run, but that doesn't constitute a royal screw up.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 am

I don't believe Eaton was signed to facilitate a trade of any of our other defensman. I don't think he'll be taking much time from our young D either during the regular season.

I believe he was signed for the playoffs, in case of injuries. Obviously, we have some very inexperienced players on our blueline - if there are injuries to any of the vets, the blueline is going to get even younger. I think Shero would rather have a vet D there as an option, instead of calling up another player from WBS. (and I'm refering to the playoffs).

Good signing, and certainly not a big deal either way.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:30 am

The Pens used 8 defenseman in 24 games on the way to the Cup in 2009, and 11 over the course of the season.

Depth wins championships.

The Islanders were 4th worst team in the league in goals against, and with the level of goaltending and team defense (is Capuano a good coach?) anyone looks bad. Eaton isn't a top pairing guy, but is nice depth in a system and surroundings that he's comfortable with already.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

columbia wrote:At its worst, this is a completely neutral move.
I don't understand the hand wringing.

i guess if you're someone who has become a "fan" of depres and/or bortuzzo, you would be disappointed to see their position on the team potentially compromised. it would also create a lack of faith in the decision making of the pens management, which is never fun.

i don't think it's worth freaking out about, but i get it if people don't like the move.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 am

Shero and Eaton definitely have a good working relationship going back to their days in Nashville so this makes sense I guess. Wonder if Eaton takes on some kind of front office role when he retires.

Depth can't hurt when you are relying on 2 rookies to fill out your top 6.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Pens used 8 defenseman in 24 games on the way to the Cup in 2009, and 11 over the course of the season.

Depth wins championships.

The Islanders were 4th worst team in the league in goals against, and with the level of goaltending and team defense (is Capuano a good coach?) anyone looks bad. Eaton isn't a top pairing guy, but is nice depth in a system and surroundings that he's comfortable with already.

@ bolded: Meh, not really. There was some pretty inspired hockey when he first got there, but since then, it's basically just match Hamonic-MacDonald against good opponents then get the puck to Tavares and that's pretty much all they do...

@ rest: Certainly.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins