Game 20 vs FLA - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 20 vs FLA - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:41 am

canaan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Vokoun is not good, but Fleury is worse...which is why he was given the loss.

wat

Its really disappointing that this was all I could get out of that post.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 am

Puffymuffin wrote:I like Jeffrey, no clue why he seems the odd one out so many games. That said, I didn't watch the game. :pop:

I know he isn't as good playing wing, but as of now, I'd really have to question him out over kennedy when Geno is back and we don't have other injuries.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saleen66 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 am

All I have to say is that they better show up tomorrow. I will be in Raleigh and I will be bitter if they play a crap road game like last night.

That is all :)
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 am

Wow man, there is no patience or forgiveness on this board...at all.

Malkin had a few rough games, bench him.

Vokoun has had a couple rough games...... send him down, waive him, waste of money...etc..... Seriously?

Bad games happen, folks. He started the season playing great and has had a few stinkers with the help of the team taking TOO many penalties.

Give him a break, he's a good guy.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:47 am

Beveridge wrote:Nizzy, you could have saved yourself a lot of time by saying: Fire Bylsma

This whole board gets your axe.

Had to vent it out bro. Anxiety over here cmon,,,,,,
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 am

Nizzy wrote:
Beveridge wrote:Nizzy, you could have saved yourself a lot of time by saying: Fire Bylsma

Had to vent it out bro. Anxiety over here cmon,,,,,,

LOL, in that case.... I'll allow it. :fist:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 am

Post from HFBoards, guy completely nails my thoughts. This year is completely finished, don't sell the future now for it.

Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87
I really hope we don't trade our first round pick (or any of our main prospects). We are not a Stanley Cup contender this year. Look around the league. We're in the second tier of playoff contenders. We're no match for the likes of Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles. That's the top tier. We're somewhere in that second tier. Could 1-2 trades push us up into the top tier? Perhaps. But that assumes Chicago, Boston or LA don't improve as well.

Their goaltending is better than ours. Their defense (the collection of defensemen, forwards, system and goaltending) is better than ours. We run around constantly and can look like that Philadelphia series even when we're not playing Philadelphia.

All of those teams are tougher than ours. Chicago is the only one we're close to in this category, but they react positively when something happens on the ice. Plus they have the skill.

All of those teams can out-coach us with relative ease, not to mention several other teams that aren't true Cup contenders. This ultimately the biggest problem.

So, kick the tires on wingers. Look for hockey trades. But don't sell the farm this year. We're simply not good enough.

As an aside, there's no way the four young players we're trying to develop don't deserve regular ice time. I'm talking about Beau Bennett, Dustin Jeffrey, Robert Bortuzzo and Simon Despres. They shouldn't be sharing roster spots. They should all play the rest of the way. Let's see if we can develop these guys.

Bennett has done NOTHING WRONG so far to suggest he doesn't belong here. Just keep using him. Jeffrey is probably our third-best center. If we're going to continue to go with Vitale on the fourth line (who let's face it he is a black hole offensively, although if he wasn't anchored to Glass and Adams I think he could produce SOME offense), then I think Jeffrey works better than Sutter as our third-line center for this team. Perhaps if we got that elite winger for Crosby's line I'd feel differently. But I think Jeffrey can develop into a better two-way center than Sutter. Sutter will always be a better checking center, so it depends on what we need more. But just keep Jeffrey in the lineup, even after Malkin returns.

Same thing with the defensemen. There's no reason why Despres and Bortuzzo need to be sharing a spot in the lineup. They've both earned their spot. Leave them in and let's see what they give us the rest of the way.

The target should be 2013-14 now. Hopefully, by then, we'll have a new coach...and these four younger guys can be full-time members of the team and a part of the solushun going forward.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guiner on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 pm

No, we would have won tonight if we had only kept and adjusted the entire team game to work with Tangradi's skill set. That guy just never got a chance...

/sarc

ahem, Tangradi, 3 minutes on average more with Jets and absolutely nada production.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Thats probably the dumbest thing I have ever read. Lose a game? Seasons over, try for next year.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Did that guy Nizzy quoted say LA is a top tier team this year?

Stopped reading there.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
canaan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Vokoun is not good, but Fleury is worse...which is why he was given the loss.

wat

Its really disappointing that this was all I could get out of that post.

I LOL'd. :D

Fleury's small potatoes now since, you know, the season's finished.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Did that guy Nizzy quoted say LA is a top tier team this year?

Stopped reading there.

I stopped reading at " someone posted this on HF boards " but thats a joke too LA sucks. No idea how they won the cup, they are also incredibly boring to watch
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

This team is in the bottom 1/3 of the NHL for PK purposes. When a team is that bad at killing penalties they can't play undisciplined. What happened to the PK that was near the top of the league? They have been downright awful this year. They're way too passive, they allow players to walk right into prime shooting positions while standing in front of them instead of going out to challenge. If the Pens fix the PK they win this game. As it is the PK is getting destroyed right now because the forwards out there aren't being aggressive enough. Whether it's because they're being told not to or simply can't be aggressive and recover is anyone's guess.

A PK of 78.8% isn't going to cut it in the regular season and will sink a team in the playoffs extremely fast.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

$10 says Nizzy is Jag68Sid87, and posted that there to drum up a confirmation of his opinion. ;^)
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Lol

Wow... we lose a game and the sky is falling. Nizzy, we get it, you hate Bylsma.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Bioshock wrote:Lol

Wow... we lose a game and the sky is falling. Nizzy, we get it, you hate Bylsma.

One of the few times I feel the word hate could be considered an understatement in describing someone's feeling about another.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:37 pm

My only thought bring on Carolina.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fast B on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:Wow man, there is no patience or forgiveness on this board...at all.

Malkin had a few rough games, bench him.

Vokoun has had a couple rough games...... send him down, waive him, waste of money...etc..... Seriously?

Bad games happen, folks. He started the season playing great and has had a few stinkers with the help of the team taking TOO many penalties.

Give him a break, he's a good guy.

I agree with you on some of the particulars (calls to get rid of Vokoun are a bit silly), but overall I just can't get a good feeling about this team. It's not just that they lose the occasional bad game, it's that they nearly always lose those games for the same reasons: too many selfish penalties, too many glaring defensive lapses, too many giveaways on low-percentage passes, too much being outworked. It's not a matter of a bad bounce here and there that causes these losses, it's just an overall lousy effort.

It's been like this since the Cup win. It would be one thing if we were seeing a consistent level of performance with some losses sprinkled in, because then at least then you can say they played well enough to win even if they didn't. But with a bunch of losses like this, you're really just left scratching your head at what is going on out there.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fast B on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Nizzy wrote:Post from HFBoards, guy completely nails my thoughts. This year is completely finished, don't sell the future now for it.

I really hope we don't trade our first round pick (or any of our main prospects). We are not a Stanley Cup contender this year. Look around the league. We're in the second tier of playoff contenders. We're no match for the likes of Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles. That's the top tier. We're somewhere in that second tier. Could 1-2 trades push us up into the top tier? Perhaps. But that assumes Chicago, Boston or LA don't improve as well.

Their goaltending is better than ours. Their defense (the collection of defensemen, forwards, system and goaltending) is better than ours. We run around constantly and can look like that Philadelphia series even when we're not playing Philadelphia.

All of those teams are tougher than ours. Chicago is the only one we're close to in this category, but they react positively when something happens on the ice. Plus they have the skill.

All of those teams can out-coach us with relative ease, not to mention several other teams that aren't true Cup contenders. This ultimately the biggest problem.

So, kick the tires on wingers. Look for hockey trades. But don't sell the farm this year. We're simply not good enough.

As an aside, there's no way the four young players we're trying to develop don't deserve regular ice time. I'm talking about Beau Bennett, Dustin Jeffrey, Robert Bortuzzo and Simon Despres. They shouldn't be sharing roster spots. They should all play the rest of the way. Let's see if we can develop these guys.

Bennett has done NOTHING WRONG so far to suggest he doesn't belong here. Just keep using him. Jeffrey is probably our third-best center. If we're going to continue to go with Vitale on the fourth line (who let's face it he is a black hole offensively, although if he wasn't anchored to Glass and Adams I think he could produce SOME offense), then I think Jeffrey works better than Sutter as our third-line center for this team. Perhaps if we got that elite winger for Crosby's line I'd feel differently. But I think Jeffrey can develop into a better two-way center than Sutter. Sutter will always be a better checking center, so it depends on what we need more. But just keep Jeffrey in the lineup, even after Malkin returns.

Same thing with the defensemen. There's no reason why Despres and Bortuzzo need to be sharing a spot in the lineup. They've both earned their spot. Leave them in and let's see what they give us the rest of the way.

The target should be 2013-14 now. Hopefully, by then, we'll have a new coach...and these four younger guys can be full-time members of the team and a part of the solushun going forward.

This, on the other hand, is so dumb it makes my head hurt.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Nizzy wrote:Post from HFBoards, guy completely nails my thoughts. This year is completely finished, don't sell the future now for it.

:lol: i read this in a blawnox yinzer accent and it did not disappoint.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 pm

yeah, that is full of stupid. but we'll win 3 or 4 in a row, and it will go full on stupid in the exact opposite direction. the common thread is the stupidity
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm glad that qualifier at the top was added explaining that it was from hf boards so I could just skip it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Froggy wrote:yeah, that is full of stupid. but we'll win 3 or 4 in a row, and it will go full on stupid in the exact opposite direction. the common thread is the stupidity

It's kneejerk reactions at their finest.

After watching the game last night, it never even dawned on me that the Pens were in any sort of trouble. They're 13-7 with one of the highest positive goal differentials in the league.

People need to relax.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 pm

What we need is pictures of Bowser's TV and why we suck.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 pm

There are patterns to the poor play; philadelphia at home, too many penalties, losing leads, and can't score goals when you must. Fix 2 of these if possible goes a long way to a more solid and consistent effort.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins